Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Charlottetown , PEI
flooring

Hi all
This is the third time writing about flooring (slow & steady wins, right??)
- thanks to all who responded last time. I am so glad to have Airforums!

Ok- here goes!
I am putting down vinyl tiles. I am fitting in a very thin subfloor over top and gluing the tiles down on the subfloor, so that I can rip them up someday easier....
I have a Sovereign with rear twins, and have temporarily removed the sidetable from the back, ( to check for further rot, as I have a bad spot in between the sidetable and the left bed, which I am filling and treating with a rot doctor-like product) so that I can install the tile underneath, can I screw it back down to the subfloor, through the tiles? Does anyone know if the screws going through the tiles will cause them to tear? I can tile around it, I just thought it would look neater.

Thanks! I am a newbie and appreciate the help!
Melissa
silverbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbeauty View Post
Can I screw it back down to the subfloor, through the tiles? Does anyone know if the screws going through the tiles will cause them to tear? I can tile around it, I just thought it would look neater.

Melissa
It will look neater and you won't tear the vinyl tiles. If you're really concerned, you can drill pilot holes first, slightly narrower than your screw width.

---
Kevin
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I am doing it

I used Armstrong tile and screwed the sliding bed base to the floor thru the tile. No problem. Use caution on the amount of tightness you use. You could drive the screw head right thru a thin tile.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
I'm about to prime the plywood and then paint the plywood before laying down cork flooring. Has anyone filled in the seams, voids or screw heads with any type of filler before I prime? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
1956Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
We've just completed an install of vinyl planking (glue down style) flooring on our 34' & are starting on the same with our 24' Argosy. We've also installed several floors of this nature on boats as well.

We have used either Featherlite or Bondo, both two-part fairing products, to fill/fair any screw/bolt head, depressions, etc. on the plywood floor. We've found that, especially with filling voids, several thin layers of fairing material works better than attempting to fill a void with one application. A two-part fairing compound "kicks" faster than an "out of the can" floor leveler, which expedites this layering process. These two-part products also sand quite nicely, providing a smooth, consistent finish.
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
I have also had good luck with Bondo as well as US Composites #635 thin epoxy on our floor. We are about to start our flooring project. Our plan is to sand the plywood and fill in any low spots, sand fill repeat till the floor is smooth then prime, paint and clear.

Derek