Old 04-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #29
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Thompson's Water Seal would probably be a good choice. It is supposed to last many years outdoors in the weather,
Thompson's is only good for a year, don't let anyone fool you about that Terry.

When you have stayed somewhere for a few years, you'll see that.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plainfield , New Hampshire
Any suggestions on using bleach on the plywood, not because of the stained color but to reduce years of smell, before applying sealant/floorpaint/epoxy or whatever. In other threads I've read that people do this. If so, what concentration of bleach to water? Also is it a good idea to put a layer of foam underlayment over the plywood and under the click-Pergo type flooring?

Old 05-22-2010, 12:49 AM   #31
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAir View Post
Any suggestions on using bleach on the plywood, not because of the stained color but to reduce years of smell, before applying sealant/floorpaint/epoxy or whatever. In other threads I've read that people do this. If so, what concentration of bleach to water? Also is it a good idea to put a layer of foam underlayment over the plywood and under the click-Pergo type flooring?
We sanded the plywood and applied epoxy thinned w/ xylene, then wet sanded that and filled any divots, wetsanded that and then applied unthinned epoxy.

Any remaining smells are due to areas we've not disassembled as yet.

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
When I pulled the old plywood out of the Overlander, I noticed some areas of rot but nothing that smelled particularly bad. Bleach (sodium hypochlorite) is essentially a disinfectant. I'm not sure how much you really gain by bleaching the plywood in the long run... unless you plan to use the floor as an operating table. I'm guessing any smells in the coach are more related to things other than the subfloor.

As for Pergo, I've installed in a residential application, but we decided against a floating floor in the Overlander. Pergo (and the ilk) offer a range of underlayments. If you're going with a floating floor, I don't think underlayment would hurt anything... except to shave a bit of headroom.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
2 cents worth on underlayment for floating floors: the foam stuff most places want to supply you with will sometimes cause a clicking sound in the floor when you walk across it. There's a felt-type of material that I've seen used in homes, and it prevents any clicking and gives you a nice, quiet floor.

Rich the Viking