Old 07-05-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Floor installation

I had some work done on our AS at Iron Horse RV here in San Antonio last week. I think they do good work, and their prices aren't out of line for repair work.

They also do custom work on MOHO's and other RV's. I asked them what they would charge to put in a wood/laminate floor in the living room of the AS. The guy said the labor would be about $1,500 if they left the carpet on the slide-out under the sofa.

Do any of you fellow Texans know of someone in the Cen-Tex area that can do this job for a better price. I feel that Iron Horse would do a great job, but I also get the impression they're used to charging a lot to the big MOHO owners who don't notice they are spending a lot.

_________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Considering I paid about $100 for materials to do roughly sixty square feet, that seems mighty steep to me. Not sure of your square footage or laminate type but even the more expensive at $4 a square foot would still be below $300 for materials in my case. Home Depote had an ad for installation at $2.19 a square foot for home installation (did not read the fine print) but still.
James

Old 07-05-2007, 09:35 AM   #3
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
From what I read the $1500 is a labor cost only, material would be extra. It sounds high to me. Installing flooring is not rocket science. Home Depot, Lowes and others sell tons of the stuff for DIY projects every day. The greatest cost in labor would be any interior removal that was required to install the floor. I have seen laminate floors installed in many RV's but I can't say I have seen it on a slide out. Three items come to mind when I think about a slide out install:
1. Would the height of the new floor be a problem when the slide is moved?
2. Would the increased weight of the floor be a problem for the slide. The pergo I installed in my home weighs around 2 pounds per square foot.
3. With a slideout would the floor be exposed to water. Water will damage these floors in a hurry.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:50 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Devils Lake , North Dakota
Sounds high is an understatement!!!!!!!!!

That is plain robbery. Heck I'll fly down and do it for that, materials included.

As others have said it will cost you about $100 for materials and laminate flooring is very easy to do.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
It sounded high to me as well. I was going to use some lef-over stock I have from flooring my house. The planks fit under the slide when it is in, so I didn't think it would be a problem. I wouldn't have the wood on the slide under the couch, just leave the existing carpet. I do need to check the weight though.

Can any floor installer do it? If they can, I could tow the trailer to them. For that matter they could just come to where it's stored; there's a 110 outlet they could run their tools to.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

If you are not going under the couch, and beds, etc. anyone can do it (even me ) I did my 26' argosy in 3 hours. I just ran the laminate into the closets a bit and edged it. Then put carpet tiles in the closets. Fast, easy, and cheap. And it looks absolutly fantastic. The whole project cost me less than $150!!

But if you want someone to do it, then yes, anyone whos done even a little laminate work will be able to do it in a couple hours.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I guess their installers get $300 an hour, that's pretty good rate for a lawyer or a doctor.

But we're not doing surgey or a trial.

$500 +or- is more like it for a handyman

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:30 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

My brother is a lawyer and I bet he'd do it for less than $700
Old 07-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
A friend told me about a flooring company that says they have an installer who has installed laminate in trailers. I'm going to give them a call and see what they say.

I agree. That 1,500 labor was a bit too hard to swallow.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Want to, but DON'T WANT TO!

Sounds like Iron Horse felt compelled to give you an estimate - but they obviously don't want or need the work - therefore, HIGH ESTIMATE! I have run accross this with lots of trades, when the job isn't right for them & they DEFINATELY DON'T want the work.... sky high estimates. All they are out is the time

That's OK - There are PLENTY of other ways to get what you want... as your additional posts indicate.

Best of luck, keep us all posted and be sure to include PICS!

Axel
SilverToy
Old 04-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Custer Park , Illinois
I have a 28' Argosy MH and have taken out the couch & chairs in the liviing space. I'm going to be putting down a laminate flooring. I read that you put the laminate down under the couch & beds. How did you attach the couch to the floor. My couch was screwed down to the floor through the carpet when I was removing it. I understand that by using the laminate flooring, I will have to stop the laminate at the edge of the couch and allow it to float. I have storage bins under the couch and would like to have the laminate go from side wall to side wall. Did you have this problem, if so, how did you overcome this delima?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529
A friend told me about a flooring company that says they have an installer who has installed laminate in trailers. I'm going to give them a call and see what they say.

I agree. That 1,500 labor was a bit too hard to swallow.
Yeah, keep looking and working on the other angles you've got. As has been pointed out, this is not difficult work at all. An entire RV should only take a few hours.

Good luck!

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote