Old 04-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member
1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Floating sheet vinyl floor

After doing a search I've found that a few people have installed vinyl floors without glue and just stapled the edges. Side note that I used to live in a manufactured home where the kitchen floor was done just like this and it worked just fine, though it was not exposed to temperature extremes as will be the AS.

I'd just like a few tips about how you installed your seet vinyl and got it trimmed to a hopefully perfect fit, since I plan to leave all my cabinets in place. My plan was to get a roll of heavy brown wrapping paper or butcher paper, trim, tape, and basically create a full sized template to use when cutting the flooring. I'd be covering the living room, galley, and hallway, all in one shot.

blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
1964 22' Safari
Omaha , Nebraska
Did you end up installing a sheet product? If so which one and how did it go?

Olivebranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
1974 27' Overlander
Newark , Ohio
We have a similar plan. Please let us know how yours worked out. We all ready have the vinyl, no glue installation as it has a fiberglass back.
Crazy Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I used a one piece sheet simulated cork vinyl in my Trade Wind. I applied adhesive only along the perimeter about to about 6 inches as recommended by another forum member. The floor can float in the middle but can not move out of position in front of the door. I did let the vinyl lay in the trailer for a couple of days (in the summer) before I applied the glue to make sure it was "relaxed". That was 2 years ago and it still looks great.
Bruce & Rachel
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I haven't done the sheet vinyl project, though it was close to a year ago when I planned to do it. Other things had come up and now I am considering this project again once it gets warmer.

Bruce and Rachel, if I understand your post, you used a 6" wide coat of adhesive at the edge of the flooring at the door? Possibly all the way around the perimeter? Did you leave the flooring sitting in place for 24 - 48 hours before you glued it down?

I'd also like to know how you finished the edges. I know there should be an 1/8" gap all the way around the edges. A previous owner installed tile squares in my trailer and caulked the perimeter, which looks okay so I considered doing that (using caulk, not tile squares).

When I eventually replace the floor I will report back here with some photos of the job, and maybe an in-depth how to on my blog as I've done with other projects.

blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
There are a number of floor threads. Topics include water damage issues and what type of flooring works best.

For ex., Laminate Flooring: which is best? - Page 4 - Airstream Forums

Search for more. Most of us settle on tiles or planks rather that sheets. Cutting a sheet for a trailer would be very difficult. Using a template is fine but any slight error can be compounded easily over a distance and waste the sheet.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
1958 22' Flying Cloud
San Angelo , Texas
Floating vinyl floor

I installed vinyl sheet flooring from Lowes, cutting it in two sections that meet between beds in midsection. Made the pattern as you mentioned in your original post. It wasn't perfect but almost, and I was able to make cuts to adjust after it was installed. Previous owner had installed regular quarter round molding in kitchen & wall by the door, so I reused what I could and the rest bought new. Other places I just left it raw edged and pushed under beds, sofa and sink cabinets. Didn't use any glue, but did use a double sided tape from same source where the two sections meet. Won't say it was easy, but when I had broken water line recently and flooded, was sure glad that I could easily pull up the flooring to dry things out.
Joy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Rockville Centre , New York
how thick is the plywood im cut a 2ftx2ft section out in front of the door

Josie28 is offline   Reply With Quote