Old 03-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Long Island , New York
Floating Floor??

I am getting ready to install a cork plank floating floor. The manufacturer says to leave a 3/8 gap around the edges, but then I read on this site that its not critical an 1/8 is good. I also watched a video with 2 pros installing a cork floor in an empty airstream, lay down the vapor barrier, leave a space around the edges,trim mouldings and done. Now, how does that floor float when everything is installed back on it, somebody please enlighten me here!!!

Old 03-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I might be able to help with the edge gap issue. The edge gap requirement the manufacturer calls out is probably for at least a fifteen foot wide room. For a narrower space, like the width of your Airstream, you need less gap. In actual fact, the amount of gap you need is proportional to the width in that direction.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
S/OS #005

2004 28' Safari S/O
Georgetown , Ontario
With cork flooring, should it go under the sofa as well.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
I would put it under the couch as well. I have in many trailers. Part of the reason for doing that is when and if you need to make repairs somewhere else you will have the material available. As well if you dont put it under the couch you will still need to shim the couch up the thickness of the flooring

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Floating Floor??

The main reason for it to "float" is to allow for expansion and contraction with changes in temperature and humidity. Over a large span, if you nailed down the edges, and each piece expands just a smidgen, all those smidgens add up, and the floor buckles. As small of an area as the camper floor is, I imagine just the slop inherent to the joints would absorb the expansion... Also, if you nail down the sofa, the other end is still free to move with expansion. I just today nailed down quarter round as trim all the way around the front of my floating floor. If it buckles, you'll know about it from the whining and crying in my rebuild thread....

-Red
Old 09-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Long Island , New York
I didn't put it under my couch, I put it up to the couch and was able to trim it with shoe moulding and the draw still slides out no problem. I would try to put as little weight as possible on the floor itself, seems to me that would be the same as nailing it down. Been many miles now with my floor, zero problems.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
S/OS #005

2004 28' Safari S/O
Georgetown , Ontario
Cork floating floor & leaks

We have decided to put it under the sofa. I inquired to jackson centre re the aluminum look moulding used on some newer airstream around the kitchen cabinets rather than wood moulding as ours has a curved cabinet. It is called edgebanding. I hope to order some as i feel it would look better than wood trim.

We are still battling the 2 leaks, one on slideout; my husband has found exactly where it comes in at the top corner of the rubber gasket at one end only but hasn't been able to cure the problem yet. The other is the rear trunk which we only discovered last fall; again he seems to have pin pointed the area but not stopped it yet. He will keep trying; we do need to fix these 2 problem areas before installing new flooring but heading south in mid nov. Our dealer wasn't able to repair the slide leak either. The plywood is in good shape except in the trunk a huge hole right thru hidden by the original carpet-now gone.