Old 09-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Livingston , Texas
Down to the Wire Flooring Decision - To Allure or Not?

HELP !!! We are redoing the interior of our 2003 Airstream, and are within a week of putting down new flooring. I had purchased a non-patterned commercial-grade Allure floor tile (in 1' x 3' planks, glue strip type). Now I'm having last-minute doubts. Forums are mixed - some people love Allure, others complain that it separates at the ends.

What do you think? Alternatives are cork flooring or solid-sheet. With the solid sheet, we'd have to find a competent installer at the last minute or risk a bad cut (and ruining the entire sheet) if I do it. Cork ... does it have major problems if we drop a glass of water on it? Does it stain easily if we drop a glass of wine on it?

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. We don't want a wood-look flooring, going for a more contemporary appearance with a speckled or cork non-patterned. Thanks!

Old 09-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Livingston , Texas
Additional Info for Original Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamJake View Post
HELP !!! We are redoing the interior of our 2003 Airstream, and are within a week of putting down new flooring. I had purchased a non-patterned commercial-grade Allure floor tile (in 1' x 3' planks, glue strip type). Now I'm having last-minute doubts. Forums are mixed - some people love Allure, others complain that it separates at the ends.

What do you think? Alternatives are cork flooring or solid-sheet. With the solid sheet, we'd have to find a competent installer at the last minute or risk a bad cut (and ruining the entire sheet) if I do it. Cork ... does it have major problems if we drop a glass of water on it? Does it stain easily if we drop a glass of wine on it?

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. We don't want a wood-look flooring, going for a more contemporary appearance with a speckled or cork non-patterned. Thanks!
I should add that we are full-timers, currently at a small home we own in Tennessee while we complete the remodel, but needing to be in Texas for doctor's appointments on September 30th. Hence our rush to get things back together so that we have a livable trailer.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I would give the allure a try. If it expands or contracts too much , at least it's not a huge investment !(and it's easy to install!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
Just my 2 cents, but cork is very durable. I have it in my mud room and it mops clean. Ours was lumber liquidators and each tile is maybe 16x24 and they just snapped together. The instructions said to seal it, but I never did and 5 years later it still looks new. We just mop it with Bona and a microfiber pad style mop.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
We have had the Allure from Home Depot for 3 years and about 20,000 miles and have not had any trouble with it. Easy install.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
We went with Forbo Marmoleum in our 64 Safari. We have 4, 50lb dogs and have had it for two years and it still looks new. We are very happy with it.

-Dennis
Old 09-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Livingston , Texas
Keep those flooring suggestions coming!

Thanks to everyone who has given me their input concerning Allure, and their suggestions as to alternatives.

My sister even joined the party (via email). She and her husband have used the Allure on multiple rental homes. They only had a problem with the first install and that was because they didn't leave room at the edges of the floor for expansion. She states it was an easy repair. They recently bought a 70's AS 31-footer and plan on using the Allure on it. As she puts it "David is a pessimist, and tends to listen to the negative reviews. I'm an optimist, and would rather go with what I want. If it doesn't work out, at least with the Allure you're not out an arm and a leg."

What do you guys think?
Old 09-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Livingston , Texas
Invincible Luxury Vinyl Tiles - Non-Expandable?

In one of the RV forums, we read a post by an RV'er who had used a new, click-together, NON-EXPANDABLE and waterproof luxury vinyl tile called Invincible (available at Carpet One outlets). The advantage over Allure would of course be Invincible's non-expandable claim. Has anyone used this?
Old 09-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
We put in the cork pattern Allure..yes it separates and have had it a yr and a half. Removing it soon for a maybe faux rustic plank floating floor. That is what we are looking for..we are fulltimers .. do not like the look or the problems.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
I have cork in my house and like it, ours was sealed after installation. It wears a lot like wood. Both red wine and coffee have been spilled on multiple occasions. No stains yet!

Lynn

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2005 19' Safari, Toyota Tundra
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
There is an Allure click together vinyl floor also. I've read too many issues with the stick together version pulling apart due to temperature extremes. I'd prefer a click together version over the stick together if I was putting a new floor in our AS.

Kelvin
Old 09-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
We put the allure sticky side planks in our 1969 ambassador. So far so good. I noticed a small amount of separation here and there, but not enough to worry about. We live in Fl and this is the second summer in the trailer, still holding up. On a side note, by installing it in a RV you do void the warranty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1410271621.515207.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	806.1 KB
ID:	221309

Old 09-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
I'm a big fan of floating cork floors. It will go in our AS when the time comes to replace flooring.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We put in the cheapest, thinnest floating vinyl flooring (it is a wood look) from Home Depot 3 years ago. We have used it hard and it is still just fine. An Airstream is a good place for a floating, clip together floor. In 8 feet width there will be little problem from expansion.