Old 09-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We have floating cork floor from Lumber Liquidators. It was sealed after we installed it, and 3 years, no problems. Looks wonderful and we get a lot of compliments on it. We liked it so much in the trailer, we put it in our family room too. You do void the warranty in a trailer, and it is heavy. We estimated we added several hundred pounds to the trailer in the floor alone. We would do it again in a heartbeat!

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1985 32' Excella
Valley Village , California
Here are a couple of pictures of the Allure we installed in our Excella. I included a photo of the worst our 'gaps' have gotten. I wish they did not happen, but it does not ruin me. We still love how this floor looks and feels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream flooring.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	221322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alure 'gaps' in flooring in Airstream.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	221323  

danjoe91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Allure Issues

Like others, we installed the Allure bamboo sticky strip flooring in our trailer. After a year of seasonal temperature changes, some end-to-end separation occurred. I've found that using a flexible wood filler in the same color as the floor helps mitigate the appearance of dark lines in the flooring. Other than that we've been happy with the flooring.

Indiana, PA

TAC PA - 5
WBCCI - 4871
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #18
King of the Zebra Speedo

1974 31' Sovereign
Obrien , Florida
I did the same as Bill M... Used the sixty nine cents a square foot fake oak laminate from Home Depot... So far so good. Looks good, seems to be tough as nails, went in pretty easy, and, the Mrs likes it, which makes it all worth while...

I pulled a flexible stick down out of the camper when I bought it, and even though the trailer was seriously neglected, where there was still a floor, it wasn't too bad... Yes, I said "still a floor". Quite a bit was missing when I brought her home... But circulation through the trailer was really good...

Somebody ought to clean these windows. There is a tremendous buildup of gook all over them...
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I installed a cork floating floor from Lowes about two years ago. Like Bill M. pointed out in post 14, not much of an issue with expansion with a length of 18 ft and a width of only 7 ft. I left only a 1/4" gap maximum around the edge. It looks good, has held up well with two dogs, and feels good. I don't think it is much heavier than any other floor. The click together design was a real challenge in some areas. If we decide to replace it sometime in the future I just remove the shoe molding and pick up the floor, probably about a 30 minute job.

The joints are holding up fairly well although there are some small gaps (hard to spot), and the joints are not as smooth as when it was first installed. It is not the perfect floor. The decision was between cork and marmonium. I would install it again. It has not been sealed yet. Not sure if I will do this.

Here are some recent photos. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5564.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	221346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5563.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	221347  

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2003 25' Safari
Livingston , Texas
Smile The Decision is Made - Forget Allure, Go with Cork Glue-down

Hi folks,

Since I initiated this thread, and after having looked at your comments and at other threads concerning the advantages / disadvantages of Allure, we've finally made our decision. Allure is just to risky for us. Even those who like Allure admit to gaps, need to re-glue seams occasionally, etc.

When we first started this remodel, our initial goal was just to get rid of that blankety-blank carpet. My first thought on a replacement floor material was cork. I just loved the look and feel of natural cork.

However, when I started looking, all the floor places around me carried only cork products that had been laminated onto fiberboard which was then either locked or slid into place. That fiberboard was a problem for me. I'd seen floating cork floors where the seams had buckled up and frayed due to water getting into the fiberboard. I wanted nothing to do with any flooring product that was laminated onto fiberboard. I asked at one place if there was a pure-cork product and was told that 'no, there isn't'.

I found out today that that is not the case and that there is indeed a glue down cork tile that is 100% cork. Stupid me, I shouldn't have taken the salesman at his word. I should have further researched to see if there was such a thing a month ago.

So cork glue-down is what I'm going with. To me, it's a no-brainer. I love the look and feel - it sure beats walking on plastic. I won't have to worry about seam separation. The company from which I'll buy mine ( pretreats with 3 coats of water-based polyurethane and recommends sealing the seams with 2 additional coats after installation to make the end result waterproof. I'll certainly do that.

It IS glue down, so I'll screw-on luann prior to installation. That will make removal easier if I ever need to do so. We have no pets, and the two of us are retired and very fastidious, so l don't think the potential for us chipping or gouging out a piece is high. But if we do, I'll just cut and scrape out the involved tile and glue another in its stead.

The special-order, commercial-grade Allure flooring went back to Home Depot today. What a relief!
AStreamJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Sounds very cool, please post pics once it's done.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Not all those who wonder are lost.
Silverflames is offline   Reply With Quote