Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2008, 03:35 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Sandia Park , New Mexico
Does mastic used for VAT also contain asbestos?

Thanks to everyone who responded last summer about the 9" VAT tiles. I painted over them with a gloss paint and then lay a nice looking laminate flooring on top. (photo attached)

And now it's summer again and I've gotten the bug to go a step further and put in bamboo flooring. The laminate looks good, but bamboo will take it to a whole new level. I took the laminate floor up this morning in preparation for the bamboo and it looks like the VAT can be very easily pried up with very little breakage.

Getting rid of the VAT once and for all would definitely be a relief and shed a few unnecessary pounds in the process to counteract the weight of the bamboo but I'm worried that the mastic used to hold down the original tile also contains asbestos. The mastic looks very much dried out and has a white-ish cast to it.

Does anyone know if the mastic definitely contains asbestos? Should I just assume that it does?

(This is a 1963 Avion Holiday 24 btw)

thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6ahyes.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	62453  
jadedacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
In buildings it is assumed that 9" VAT tiles do contain asbestos. I don't think the adhesive is the issue, it's the tile. However, we assume it has asbestos rather than test for it because it is difficult to release fibers from a tile- it's bound up with the other components. As long as you don't drill, grind or break up the tile to create dust (and therefore friable asbestos) it's pretty safe to remove the tiles. Throwing them away is another issue - they will most likely be treated as hazardous waste. This is why, whenever possible, new floors are laid over old VAT.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I would get rid of them , less dead weight, use a mask if you need to chip them up,mop it down and vacume when your done.Paint the glue if your still worried about it.

Doug
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote