Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
chipped plywood - repair before Allure

I spent hours, HOURS, trying to remove the wood flooring from the kitchen area in my Airstream (maybe a 3'x4' area). The flooring was set in adhesive by the PO and necessitated my scoring/cutting it into small 3"x3" squares with my circular saw and then using the rotary tool to lift them off the plywood subfloor. There are a few areas where the plywood gave way before the plank flooring so I have places where the plywood is splintered through the top layer (or so).

I'll guestimate that there are 2 areas, 1'x1' of this splintered subfloor (which is pristine other than this damage) and was intending to use a wood filler/patch before laying Allure self-stick vinyl planks. But maybe I need to use a self-leveling material instead.

Read a few posts here and am now a little worried about the filler (or whatever) cracking or debonding. Any suggestions?

Every project I started this weekend turned into a flipping headache...

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I would not rule out using a self leveling epoxy on the damage. I needed to do this in an area of my floor, and it work great under some laminate flooring.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Laura...I just went through that with the floor in our Tradewind. I tried two products: DAP floor leveling compound and Bondo (automotive body filler). I believe either will work for you depending on the size of the defects you need to fill.

Once you have your product of choice on the floor and dry, a belt sander works great to get the surface smoother. Bondo sands very well...the floor leveler not so well. Both dry very hard and should stand up to the flexing and moving of your Airstream.

When we installed Bamboo Allure in our Ambassador, I laid a layer of insulated underlayment that I got from HD. Not sure that was necessary but I wanted to give myself some cushion and insulation. Good luck with the Allure but beware of the expansion/contraction from our Northern weather. Others have talked about this if you do a forum search.

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Thanks for the replies!

I used Bondo to smooth out the seams where I scabbed in a small patch by the front window so I'll go that way! I started second-guessing my choice, thinking it might not be flexible enough. But I remember gobbing it on my first Camaro years ago (decades ago) and it held without any problem. And I put that car through hell.

Wish I hadn't sold my belt sander when I left Reno (along with too many other tools that I now have to replace. Note to self: don't sell tools!)

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
The CriscoCan

1969 27' Overlander
Hamilton , Texas
I used Allure in my house which had the old Formica tile that was crumbling.
We have pier and beam with good sub-floor, but the house originally had space heaters and there were several holes for the gas lines and transition that were not level where walls had been removed for remodel. We used a shop vac to remove all loose tile and then just placed the Allure on top,since it is a floating system and does not adhere to the sub-floor there is no need to level unless the problem area is over 1/4 " deep or larger than 3" diameter. If it is just small splintering, gaps or low transition, and you are using the Traffic Master Allure I would not worry about it. Our has been down 5 years no problems.
CriscoCan is offline   Reply With Quote