Old 12-06-2003, 10:02 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

I am at that stage also, and decided to cut the carpet plumb with the cabinets.
I do not see anything to be gained by removing the cabinets except an insignificant weight loss; than there is the elevation problem in getting the replacing rivets to go into the original holes after the carpet thickness dimension is is subtracted from the height.
Dick

Old 12-06-2003, 12:51 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
DENNIS- sure looks good...what are you doing for the tables that mount in the floor holes? Do you have those also, if so are you planning to cut the hole in the pergo? Are you remounting the barrel chairs as well?

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 03:51 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Carpet

We have a 1995 Sovereign with carpet and I want to do a Pergo or some other similar floor. Our carpet runs under the cabinets. The cabinets are installed over the carpet. Do I cut the carpet at the cabinet or try to get the carpet out from under the cabinet. I do not care if there is carpet under the cabinet.
Thanks for any help.
Phil
Old 12-06-2003, 05:26 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Carpet and Cabinets

Phil:

On the '87 tack strips were installed just outside the cabinet line (exactly as in home construction) and the carpet was just laying loose under the cabinet on the back side of the tack strip. Hopefully it will be similar on yours. Taking the carpet out should be a piece of cake. I used fairly wide trim pieces on the Pergo up against the cabinets. It's hard to get Pergo closer than 3/8" to the sides due to the board to board latch mechanism.

Peter:

Already installed a granite table top. I did not have any recessed holes for any previous tables. Bought a Pedastle and top and bottom mount from PPL, just screwed the bottom mount in through the Pergo, made a hell-for-stout wooden top support for the granite and trimmed it in oak. I cut down the size of the table 2" in both width and length. The 2" made a big difference in sitting comfort and kitchen mobility.

Barrel chairs will not be utilized. Really never utilized them prior to the redo. We have never travelled with more than four people total.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 12:06 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Carpet Removal

On the '87 tack strips were installed just outside the cabinet line (exactly as in home construction) and the carpet was just laying loose under the cabinet on the back side of the tack strip. Hopefully it will be similar on yours. Taking the carpet out should be a piece of cake. I used fairly wide trim pieces on the Pergo up against the cabinets. It's hard to get Pergo closer than 3/8" to the sides due to the board to board latch mechanism.

Dennis,

Thanks for you reply on carpet removal.
Phil