Old 12-03-2003, 04:11 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to gterranovarcsal
Laminate Floor

Hi Roger and Nancy,

I too wanted to put laminate floor in my '72 Argosy, but have not done so yet. I am thinking that the floor might twist and or vibrate too much when going over bumps. A floating floor might come apart. I am thinking a glue down floor might last longer.
What are your thoughts?

Greg

Old 12-03-2003, 04:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

"the floor might twist and or vibrate too much when going over bumps"

I believe that is precisely why you want a floating floor. The other problem with a glue down is what happens if you need to get at some interior cabinet or partition pieces? These are all screwed to the floor with brackets that are likely to be covered or hard to get to on a glue down.

There are quite a few of us on these forums with floating floors, and I have never seen any comments on problems. Certainly mine has been great.

Mark

Old 12-03-2003, 08:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
No Problem

I did the entire floor in self-backed Pergo.

Even with all the bounce in the rear overhang everything stays tight.

Plan on a lot of wastage. The "right side" never seems to end up where you need it.

A chop saw and a table with good blades are a necessity, and plan on tossing the blades afterward. The interior of Pergo seems to have the consistency of recycled concrete.

I veclroed the trim in the bathroom (lots of little pieces), and it worked out great. I also painted the entire wood (sub) floor (aligned strand composite) with Kilz prior to covering with Pergo. Some discussion with that, but I stand by my decision to do it. Way too high of a possibilty of mold here in Houston to not discourage it's growth whenever possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dance floor.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	4012  

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Another View

I went all the way back to (and around) the bed. Totally replaced the carpet with Pergo, except in the cockpit area - that got new carpet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new floor.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	4014  

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Old 12-03-2003, 08:49 PM   #19
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
I agree with Dennis, although I can't say it dulled my saw blades that much. I used an off-brand of "pergo-like" plank flooring. It took three bundles to cover my unit.

I was concerned about dirt and sand getting between the cracks in the planks. Not a problem. The planks lock together with a tongue and groove setup that is not like regular hardwood flooring. It is super tight! Sweeps up really easily too. I didn't nail nor screw mine down anywhere, so it could float some. It never moved. I plan to do it again one day with my Argosy.

Go to the members photos and look up javah and check out the cedar floor he installed in his unit. Wow!

Scott
Old 12-05-2003, 02:58 PM   #20
JLD
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JLD
Cost per sq. foot

I am curious as to what the cost per square foot was for the flooring and the number of hours it took to do the job. Thanks ahead of time. JLD
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:04 PM   #21
JLD
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JLD
Couch in you pix

Hi Scott. I m curious about the bins for storage under your couch. Did that come with the couch or did you build them in yourself? I have a very similar looking couch and have posted some other couch questions under a new topic. JLD
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:05 PM   #22
The Painted Pig

Hailey , Idaho
I was able to do mine in one Saturday.

I couldn't remember the cost for the laminate flooring, so I called the place I got it from. It was/is $35/bundle and a bundle covers 24 sq ft. I recall that I bought three bundles and didn't have a whole lot left over. My stuff was an off brand like Pergo and I got it from Surplus Warehouse. It was almost half the cost of what the stuff at Lowe's sells for.

I recovered the floor in my dog's house with what I had left over.

Scott
Old 12-05-2003, 03:07 PM   #23
The Painted Pig

Hailey , Idaho
Hi JLD.

The cabinets are original.

Scott
Old 12-05-2003, 03:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Cost per sq. ft. depends on what and where you buy. $2 sq. ft. is about as cheap as I have seen. From there up to $6 or more. But you will have to buy by the the box, which usually has 20 sq. ft. or so. And you can expect 20% waste, maybe more.

Installation will depend on the size of the area you are doing, how fussy you are about your installation, and skills. Having done it once, I think I could pull up the old carpet and tackstrip and install the floor in a single day. The molding or quarter round would take me another three or four hours.

Mark
Old 12-05-2003, 04:59 PM   #25
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
My pergo was $3/sq ft. The stuff I put in my house was $4 sq ft. totally different "grade" of material, though, and that is my point. There isn' t any one "pergo"; they have a host of different lines, some fancy, some not so fancy. I picked the style for the trailer mainly based on the fact that it was the best match for the existing fake-woodwork.

The stuff i just put in my house was 17.59 sq feet per box, and is only available from Lowe's. (I remember, because I just did a whole bunch last weekend ). The type that I put in the trailer is only available at Home Depot; they have other lines that are only available through flooring retailers.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:09 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Cost and Time

I used the best I could find - figured it was such a small space the difference in price was minimal when compared to the time to do it.

Used 7 bundles (17.5 sq ft/bundle), but left about 1 bundle around the saw (unusable cutoffs). The trim was almost as expensive as the flooring. There were lots of corners to contend with in the MH.

$500 for the flooring, $300 for the trim. Ten honest hours for each (twenty total) for the entire job.

In hindsight, if I would have to do it over again, I would only use a better grade of trim.

Very happy with the outcome.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 12-05-2003, 06:17 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

NICE JOB

HEY 63WIND, I really like the looks of the flooring job you did !!!
Old 12-06-2003, 09:50 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Laminate Flooring

Our 1995 Sovereign has carpet on the floor and the cabinets are installed ove the carpet. To remove the carpet should I cut the carpet at the edge of the cabinet or get it out from under the cabinet. The latter appears much more difficult. I hope to find someone who has done this project.
Thanks for any input.
Phil