Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #81
Luc
2 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Cape Canaveral , Florida
Another shot...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130618_092545(1).jpg
Views:	440
Size:	377.6 KB
ID:	210492  
Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Rich looking flooring ideas anyone?

Last year we put in Allure cork design in our 28' Excella. Just does not do it for me. It is laid across the floor instead of length wise. Just has no thickness depth. Looks like cheap tile. Help!
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:57 AM   #83
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Corpus Christi , Texas
Is there carpeting under gauchos? Did you have to remove gauchos to install flooring?
Knudsvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #84
1 Rivet Member

1949 16' Wee Wind
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1961 24' Tradewind
Miami , Florida
I recommend Sheet Marmoleum as a base over the wood subfloor. I like the seamless benefits of waterproofing and cleaning, and it's historically correct for vintage Airstreams. However, the color and pattern choices are quite limited.

So, for those who like the look and feel of carpet, I suggest using FLOR carpet squares (FLOR modular carpet tiles - Create unique, eco-friendly area rugs, runners & wall-to-wall designs). These are squares of carpet that can be bought individually to create almost any look, from a sisal to bright contemporary to mid century. They attach to each other from underneath with clear acetate stickers, and when the the floor is completely laid out, it remains in place, floating over any smooth surface. Double stick tape could be used at the entryway to hold down the edge, but the backing is a rubberized, heavy base that lays flat and true. Thickness is only about 1/4". It's my favorite product. I have used it all over my house for the past ten years, as area rugs over terrazzo floor, entryway floor mats, and my entire kitchen is FLOR carpet (my kids liked to hang out in our kitchen while we cooked, and this was a comfy solution). If there is any damage or stain that cannot be fixed, just remove the square and replace with another (keep some spare tiles around). Be as creative as you wish, and when you're ready to sell your camper, you can offer either your own favorite carpeted look, or just lift up the carpet and you have your historically correct, Marmoleum floor.
East Wynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:40 PM   #85

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Austin , Texas
Flor Tiles

I just bought a 1955 Overlander and the PO put down Flor tiles over the existing peel and stick tiles. from the few spots that I've inspected that typically have water damage, there is staining but no rot. (keeping fingers crossed) Eventually I'd like to replace the carpet with something a bit more water/stain friendly, as I'm now a full-timer, but have to admit, the Flor tiles are pretty cozy, and super easy. They may just stay as I do everything else needed that comes with a vintage rig. Looking forward to seeing what you choose!

Old 11-24-2015, 10:28 AM   #86
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Corpus Christi , Texas
Shaw resilient LVT light commercial grade vinyl planks.
BeforeClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1448386099.457833.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	252802
AfterClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1448386115.757366.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	252803Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1448386128.362943.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	252804
Knudsvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #87
2 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
In the AS Classic Limited 30 ' 2011

Is there flooring under the carpet in the ASClassic Limited edition 2011!
Has anyone taken out the carpet in the living room and found the same flooring that is in the kitchen and dinning room? We have disgusting carpet and would like to remove, however quoted a $3000.00 price to replace the flooring through out. Thanks in advance.
carol1farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:56 AM   #88
Tinbox

1964 19' Globetrotter
Panama City , Florida
Has anyone know how to remove the flooring from a 2014 airstream sterling?
Tinbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:47 AM   #89
2 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Love it. Exactly what we want to do.
carol1farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #90
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
in my opinion putting down wooden laminate flooring in a TT, is asking for trouble. Bamboo is especially a bad choice.
Now vinyl click lock planking that floats, may sound great until you look at every section regarding installation instructions, for each company. They all call for temperatures between50f and 85f and if any lower or higher and they warn you of trouble. I have been searching and searching and have found a company that has a vinyl click plank that operates between 100f and 30f now that is way better than the other products out there. All of your Lowes and Home Depot stuff is in the bad temperature range for a TT, after all this stuff is intended for a home with climate control.
Shaw flooring has a new product line called FLOORTE, I have already chosen what I want and am now waiting for the weather here in Georgia to warm up.
So I strongly suggest you look at this stuff, I have been searching for three months and this stuff is the only one that can handle large temperature swings.
Just thought I would add my piece.....cheers, James.
jmpgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #91
Silver Spud

1975 31' Sovereign
Twin Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpgino View Post
in my opinion putting down wooden laminate flooring in a TT, is asking for trouble. Bamboo is especially a bad choice.
Now vinyl click lock planking that floats, may sound great until you look at every section regarding installation instructions, for each company. They all call for temperatures between50f and 85f and if any lower or higher and they warn you of trouble. I have been searching and searching and have found a company that has a vinyl click plank that operates between 100f and 30f now that is way better than the other products out there. All of your Lowes and Home Depot stuff is in the bad temperature range for a TT, after all this stuff is intended for a home with climate control.
Shaw flooring has a new product line called FLOORTE, I have already chosen what I want and am now waiting for the weather here in Georgia to warm up.
So I strongly suggest you look at this stuff, I have been searching for three months and this stuff is the only one that can handle large temperature swings.
Just thought I would add my piece.....cheers, James.

I have soaked a piece of bamboo flooring, the cheap stuff, in a bucket of water for a week with no change in size or shape. I have done the same with carbonized bamboo, expensive stuff, with the same results. Carbonized bamboo is harder than oak and very resistant to scratches while the cheap stuff will show high heel marks. I have carbonized bamboo in several spaces of my own house, golden retriever scratch free, and have installed many types of flooring over the years.
I have a leftover, cheap wood laminate in my AS that I installed 5 years ago and used tight tolerances at the edges and not the 1/4 inch recommend by the manufacturer. Our temps range from 20 below to over 100f and I have had no issues, which I knew would be the case. Disclaimers from manufacturers does not always indicate what the product can do. They are there to eliminate any liability from a lawsuit against them using the defense of improper installation.
shadrick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:15 PM   #92
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
I too used Flor rug tiles...so nice to walk around with bare feet in our vintage trailer. If we get bored with them we can swap them out for something different, but they have held up extremely well so far including a bad coffee pot spill! We only have them in our exposed areas so the covered areas show the plywood floor. This is especially handy when checking for leaks!
Old 02-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #93
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Found a better product.

By chance yesterday I went into Lowes, i stumbled across a floor product I had not seen before. Got a sample, came home and searched its details, part of it here.....

READ BEFORE INSTALLING
While SMARTCORE is waterproof, it’s not a moisture barrier. It’s still a good idea to make sure concrete is cured and tested for
moisture and that a moisture barrier is installed in the crawl space and even under a SMARTCORE floor over a concrete subfloor.
Moisture won’t damage SMARTCORE, but it can get in the walls and structure of the home. A couple of extra dollars and a few
minutes is a small investment for the added protection and peace of mind.
Because houses and buildings, as well as adjacent hardwood or laminate floors, expand and contract, Natural Floors
recommends to leave a ¼” expansion gap between the perimeter walls and any adjacent hardwood floor.
Natural Floors recommends using the glue down method when installing SMARTCORE where it will be exposed to temperatures
greater than 140° F (60° C) or below 32° F (0° C).
Use good common sense installation practices, and you’ll have a successful installation that results in a beautiful floor.

Note the 140F max temp, way higher than the other product I had set myself on, so I have just ordered the stuff. Chose.....

SANDHILL OAK #749840 $3.48 per sq ft.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:09 AM   #94
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
New floor nearly down.

I started on Wednesday evening and today Sunday I should be finished laying the floor. Just got small spots and the bathroom to lay.
It looks superb truly superb.
I tested two pieces for hot and cold conditions, put the oven on at 140f for one piece and put the other in the freezer at - 2f
Neither piece moved, expanded or contracted. I think that is impressive and since I am in the south the high end temperature tolerance of this product is rather reassuring.
The bed area would have been an issue had I not unscrewed the bottom end from the floor. This enabled me to place a plank underneath and trace the outline, perfects fit.
I have found a company that makes fully flexable moldings and they have a quarter round that is truly a 1/4 by a 1/4 anything bigger would be out of scale.
Airstreams quality control does not match the prices they charge for their units.
On removing the toilet, I discovered the toilet flange had only six of the eight screws in the floor. The idiot who cut the access hole made it too big and the front two screws were in fresh air, someone cheekily put a bead of liquid nails over it edge. I also discovered the rubber gasket ring had a third of the tank part missing, that should not have been used.
Behind the grey floor edging I found base rivets that had not been secured properly, a number had at least an 1/8 to 3/16 of the head sticking out.
Anyhow I will post some images when I have finished.......
Old 02-26-2017, 05:44 PM   #95
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Flooring tests on heat and cold.

I tested two pieces of the new flooring yesterday, one in the oven at 140f and another in the freezer at 28f The oven test was done for five hours, the freezer test for twelve hours over night.
Neither piece expanded or contracted and both were still flat. Now that is impressive and reassures my confidence in this product.
Just out of curiosity I tested a sample of the Shaw FLOORTE in the oven as well, it also did not expand or contract, even though its maximum heat was supposed to be only 100f
If anyone is looking to replace their floor covering, you need to seriously look into what I have been putting down in ours.
Cheers,
James.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:20 AM   #96
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
Floorte Installation question

James, I can't see on the website how they install the product. Can you describe the installation process? Does the product come in planks? Thx.
Globeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:04 AM   #97
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
This is a YouTube clip I found of the stuff......

6 ft by 6 in click loc, floating. It is a special order from Lowes, well the color we got is. I finished on Thursday night, eight days of very tedious work. But it looks ABSOLUTELY FAMTASTIC. There are tips that I will need to give someone who tackles this job, as it is by no means easy. The hardest floor I have ever laid but because of the curves, and things like that. Example I unscrewed the bed from the floor, enabling me to put planks underneath and then scribe accurately.
So if you need help I will gladly give my experience.
Cheers,
James.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #98
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Website.

Here is the company website.....

6ft by 7in click lock planks, floating.

http://www.smartcorefloors.com/products/
Old 03-05-2017, 10:31 AM   #99
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
And the Lowes page for it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SMARTCORE-b...lank/999901235
Old 04-14-2018, 10:12 AM   #100
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Chanhassen , Minnesota
Hello 911 Patriot, I'm also considering lining my shower with aluminum sheet to new walls. Can you respond to
1) what aluminum was used? Source?
2) Are you happy with the long term cleaning / maintenance of the shower?
3) any advice (pro or con) related to sealing the shower.
Thanks in advance, Scott
Harrysheets is offline   Reply With Quote