Old 03-17-2013, 12:39 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Thanks Air Cruiser! It's Shiitake I think we also got the Sahara sample and a couple others and this one was the winner. It went really well with all the oak and all of the other colors we have layered into the design. You can get free samples from the Forbo website - I agree you really need to see the patterns and colors to choose - the website pics aren't that great.

https://www.facebook.com/starlettediary
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #58
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
San Antonio , Texas
New Floor Materials

Finally put the new rear floor in this weekend.

We'll be laying home depot allure ultra in clear cherry. This stuff is 100% waterproof, has minimal expansive qualities, clicks together, and carries a 10 year commercial warrantee. It can be cut with a utility knife and requires no special tools. It is only 0.197" thick - so no clearance issues.

I'm really excited to see how it holds up against the 5 children it will be pitted against. I'm going to try to get out there tonight to screw down that new floor and get busy with the final rear room stuff. Will post photos, once further along.

Cristina

Old 03-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #59
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoffive View Post
clicks togetherCristina
Well that's new. I thought all the Allure used the "Grip strip" method, where two sides had a one-inch sticky area that gripped the next tile.

In any event, it is great stuff in our home, and we are going to use it in one room this summer to see how it makes it through the winter here.

Love to see your photos when it's done!
Old 03-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Northeast , Georgia
We just bought the Allure flooring for our 27" Overlander this week.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
Paper Floor

Paper Floor: I know many will call me crazy but I wanted to share how I finished the floor in our '91 Excella.
After ripping out the carpeting (the worst part of my remodel), I sanded the rough spots and filled in the screw holes with wood putty. After that I painted 2 coats of primer on the plywood.
I bought a roll of white butcher paper at Sam's in the restaurant section for about $18. I ripped pieces about 12" x 12" and crumpled them up. After that the crumpled pieces were applied to the floor with a 4" brush using a combination of about 1/2 Elmer's glue and 1/2 water. While the floor dried it left many wrinkles. That's ok. They eventually settled down and just provided a textured look. When it that was thoroughly dry I applied a coat of water based polyurethane. Before the poly dried (working in sections), I took a shaker of metal flake and a shaker of fine crystals and sprinkled them all over. I followed up with 3 more coats of poly over the sprinkles. I had originally found the idea for this on YouTube when I saw people doing "Paper bag floors" The paper bag floor was not what I had in mind because I wanted an Atomic Modern clean look so I just kicked it up a notch and a half. We just got back from our first trip which was out West. It performed perfectly. If I tire of it it can always be covered by a more conventional method but I don't see that happening any time soon.
Here are some photos:

http://www.airforums.com/photos/showimage.php?i=34949&c=507
&
http://www.airforums.com/photos/showimage.php?i=34730&catid=member&imageuser=70404
Click image for larger version

Name:	couch close.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	456.8 KB
ID:	195578
Old 09-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Man Patriot, that looks awesome!
Old 09-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #63
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Wonderful job you've done on that trailer, Patriot. That was clearly a lot of work.

Thanks for the photos!
Old 09-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
So glad you like the paper floor option. It is working out great for us thus far. If you go to Pintrest and type in "paper bag floor" in the search box you will find all kinds of incredibly innovative and interesting paper bag floors. I liked the concept just adapted the look in my own mid-century modern way for the redo.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I really like what you did. It looks like it has lots of advantages. It reminds me of a "Torginal" liquid floor that was popular back in the 80's or so.

The advantages I see are no seams, no glue issues, so spilled water that can get between the wood sub floor and the finished floor and it is very inexpensive. Like you say, when you decide on something different, you can just put a new floor over it.

Great job! That is what I call thinking outside the box.

Dan
Old 09-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I may do that myself. This afternoon I took a look at YouTube Paper Bag floors. I like the end result. The neat thing is if you don't like it, you simply floor over it. Thanks Patriot for the idea!
Old 09-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
Paper Floor

Yes, this is exceptionally inexpensive for a flooring option. All that was used was a very small amount of the butcher paper (that roll from Sam's Club could do 20+ of these floors!), about 1/2 gallon of Elmer's glue, the metal flake & crystal sparkles and a 4" paint brush.
Searching but not finding any other flooring option that would be just right, I decided to go the paper floor route which allowed for creativity and experimentation with the option of covering it with another option later. Right now we have a little throw rug at the door and can add others when it gets chilly. The floor feels really good underfoot.
We're using a silver microfiber dish drying mat for the bathroom rug to step on after a shower.

Speaking of the shower here's how we dealt with the removal of the accordion door and replacement with a shower curtain rod:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/f...od-109678.html
Old 10-13-2013, 01:13 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
LAS VEGAS , Nevada
Dan did you take the rear beds completely out to put in flooring or did you cut carpet off at beds and leave it underneath the bed? Just wondering as we are doing something similar
Old 10-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Is your shower one with a seat? If so, how well does the curtain work as far as keeping water spray out by the seat? There doesn't seem to be a lot of overlap between the door opening and seat, and given the spray head is aiming that direction I wonder how well that works?
Old 10-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
I did leave the carpet under the queen bed and under the cabinets. Using a needle nosed pliers was necessary for grabbing the remaining fibers. This was a very TEDIOUS job!!! After it was all pulled out and the floor was done and all cabinets painted then I cut aluminum pieces as the base shoe (?) not sure if that is the correct term. The aluminum comes in 6-8' 3/4" strips from Menard's.