Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
New Flooring

After talking to many flooring people we decided to go with Karndean - Van Gogh. It's been in for only a week and still putting everything back together. We're very pleased with the appearance and the installer did a great job (it took 4 days, along with carpet in the BR).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0408.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	157159  
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
bganso, did you get the loose lay or what? Karndean suggests gluing the edges on exterior applications and leaving some space around the edges (hide it with trim) for the loose lay. When it shrinks, it is mostly along the long way and the seams open that way. For warmer days (coming soon here) I'm hoping they close. We used a removable glue so I could check the condition of the subfloor periodically. Did the installer use a permanent glue on yours?

We've had a few cold nights recently and the seams at the ends opened enough to easily see. It still looks better than the OEM vinyl.

Yours looks good and the colors match the sofa and cabinet. Good choice for your trailer.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
Gene,

Thanks for your positive comments.

I think we're in a similar climate to you. The installer has been in this area for over 20 years, so I assume he knows whats he's doing. Many of the homes in our area are vacation residences and not always heated during the winter months. Although we don't keep our AS in Truckee in the winter, it'll be here during some varying temps. Freezing - 85 degrees in 24 hours (such is life in the mountains).

The installer used a Karndean adhesive with a notched trowel. The entire floor was glued down. Before the vinyl was laid he leveled the plywood floor, then installed a 1/4" birch plywood underlayment. He said I probably gained a few pounds, but didn't think it was significant. We ditched our spice cabinet and folding table/storage compartment, so I'm probably ahead on the weight game. BTW, we had carpet and pad throughout previously.

Bruce
Old 05-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'm in love with that couch, bganso. (And the floor is great!!).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
New Couch

Thanks Rednax.

My wife loves the couch in the Dorsey Airstream, so we took our old couch and a picture of the Dorsey one to a local upholstery shop. We opted for faux leather vs. the real stuff to hold the cost down, but we asked the upholsterer to replicate the picture. Here's a picture of the old one. We're really pleased with the result.

Bruce
Attached Images
File Type: bmp AS 13 RS.bmp (216.7 KB, 172 views)