Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Berber Carpet

What is anyone's success in installing Berber carpet in their Airstream. Seems to be very durable and easy to keep clean. Did you instll Berber in the bathroom? Thanks.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
What is anyone's success in installing Berber carpet in their Airstream. Seems to be very durable and easy to keep clean. Did you instll Berber in the bathroom? Thanks.
Berber is good stuff. I am going to put it in mine in the bedroom and at the very front near the gaucho. For the bathroom, mine will get vinyl and we will use throw rugs. I don't like carpet in the bath and kitchen, too easy for it to get damp and pick up odors.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
WillyD. I love the 34 Limited. I have had berber carpet before in another Airstream. I was comfy but hard to keep clean (dirt / sand). This past winter I replaced all my flooring In my 94 with laminate and love it. All we carry to take care of the floor on trips is a broom and dust pan. The carpet is nice though. but I would use a good vinyl rug in the bathroom. It can be easy to miss the mark on a midnight potty run....especially with two little boys.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
We installed Berber in our Minuet and love it. Found a roll end and paid $25.00 in total for $60.00 a yard carpet about 3 yards but too small for anything else. We did install the carpet through out but we have a door mat in the bathroom and at the front door. It is very easy to keep clean when you have an outside rug a door mat and a mat inside the door. Sounds ridicules but it works great for us and it looks good too. The bathroom mat and door mat are washed in a machine then put back down.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Berber is difficult to seam without it showing but I put in my 63. I put in too light a color and it shows dirt too much because I have a tendancy to camp in places with damp grass and leaves which I do not seem to get off my shoes before I track up the trailer. I carry a small vac with a brush to clean up my mess, if the site has 115 AC. I never have found a 12 volter that was up to the task. For a real camping trailer, I think I would go with more solid water resistant flooring.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:01 AM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The term Berber Carpet covers a wide range of carpet types and materials. Some are very good and some not so good. When selecting a carpet, do your homework. Not all Berber Carpets are the same. This site points out the downside to the cheap ones: Berber Carpet: Don't Buy Berber!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
the po installed berber in my 63 TW. It's nice to get out of the sack in the am on carpet. However for ME the con's out weight the pro's. The seams do show, maby poor installation ! I like going to the beach here in San Diego, sand sand & more sand. then the dirt at other areas. The carpet is nice just more work than a hard cleanable surface. Some day i'll make the switch. Until then camp camp camp
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote