Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Bathroom Tile Installation

The PO pulled up the carpeting in the bathroom and did a ameturish job of installing some linolium. I'd like to replace it with tile. I really like what this guy did.

Fred's Airstream Archives @ ViewRVs.com - 1994 Airstream Classic 360 Diesel Motorhome 36' Motorhome (F)

I talked to him and he used a 3M product to cement it down. Anyone have any suggestions on how to install a tile floor that won't crack or loosen as it bounces down the road? I'll definitly use an epoxy grout.

How about any other products that are flexible but a bit nicer than linolium.

Thanks, Dave...
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Radical

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Benbrook , Texas
If you look at my floor on Viewrvs.com (Fred's) 1994 360 Classic pusher. I did all of the tile.
Marble floors, glass tile on the walls, bath and kitchen. There is only one way to do this. 3M RTV (expensive). This RTV is made for boats, waterproff and is the only thing that will work. Second, use only flexible sanded grout. I have had this in the Coach for a long time over any type of conditions, no problem.

Remember one thing, the classic has a Spartan frame that is very substanial, does not flex.

Bud J
Jostrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

I like the Allure flooring, it is a floating floor and is easy to change out if you ever want to. It comes in a lot of different styles, some you have to special order.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Also....

I would make sure that there wasn't a seam in the subfloor underneath where you are tiling. If there is, I would put some plywood over the subfloor.
IMHO...I think marble is too porous and too brittle. It stains, is subject to bleed through ( it did in my house bathroom ) And you have to be careful what cleansers you use on it, because some cleansers will eat away the filler that they use in marble. I think ceramic tile would be a better choice. If tile or marble does crack, it will be a pain to replace it.
I found some industrial carpet tile that fits exactly in my trailers bath area. It is rubber backed and is held down by a sticky adhesive. It takes about 30 seconds for me too replace it. I can bring it outside, wash it down with a hose, and let it dry in the sun. I am going to prime the subfloor with an oil primer.
I use a bathmat over the carpet tiles. Very easy on the feet.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote