Old 02-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Bathroom linoleum installation

I need help with the bathroom floor. I have the new linoleum, but I really don't have a clue about laying the stuff.
1) What is the trick for cutting the edges to fit the cabinet and tub? I was thinking about seeing if I could get away with tucking the linoleum under these and avoiding some of the fitting. If not, what does one do, make a cardboard template maybe?

2) What is the proceedure to make sure it goes in flat and stays that way?

3) Does anyone know good links to videos or instructions?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hey Rodney,

1) Make a template. I've used red rosin paper and tar paper in the past. Both work equally well, but rosin paper is a bit cheaper and not as messy (no tar). Rough cut the paper to size, and then cut a few holes in it to tape it to the floor. Now, carefully cut the template 1" smaller than the floor needs to be. That will make it easier to trim it to fit the bathroom and around the fixtures. Once you have it all cut to size, take the template and using the same holes, tape it to the flooring. Now, carefully cut the floor exactly 1" larger than the template. I use a metal ruler from a combination square as my 1" guide. Trial fit the floor, and it should fit exactly.

2) Typically, linoleum is either edge glued, or completely glued in place. One thing to watch for is if your flooring extend over a seam in the plywood. From lot's of posts I've read, gluing sheet goods over the plywood seams is just asking for the floor to crack as the plywood flexes at the seam.

3) Try DIYNETWORK.com or HOMETIME.com.

Good luck!
Chris

Old 02-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Chris gave you good advice for laying out the floor around your fittings.

I laid my vinyl flooring over the entire bathroom and placed the vanity, tub, toilet and other fittings directly over it by screwing directly into the floor. I didn't use any glue, but that was mainly due to the type of vinyl floor I bought. I used a Tarkett brand that is spongy and lays very easily. My blog has some pics.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Do what they do in a lot of home bathrooms: cover the floor with ¼" plywood (good one side only). This can be nailed to the floor, and then GLUE your linoleum over it. Make a template, like Chris says, then confirm it with the ply. Lastly, use the ply to cut your linoleum by gluing it on, then flipping it over to trim off the excess linoleum with one of those sharp "box-cutter" knives.

I would also "tack" the edges with shallow staples, since I'm willing to bet that the glue isn't going to be stable forever with the temperature extremes that your TT lives through.

Advise you lift off the toilet and cut over it to reveal the flange, placing the toilet bottom back on the linoleum/ply. Make sure your closet gasket (the foam or wax ring) is thick enough to maintain a seal.

That way, you will have a perfectly smooth floor, and when you want to change it out for something else, just rip up the ply and go again!

I agree, withiout a ply (or similar substance to shield it) base, it will NOT stick to the floor if it goes over a seam.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
I was out poking around today, chipping out the last of the tile squares that the PO had left in place and carpeted over. It looks to me like I should be able to tuck the linoleum under all the cabinets and the tub so maybe the cutting won't have to as precision as I had thought.

I like the plywood idea, but I don't see how to make it work. I just don't have the tools or skills to cut those kind of curves and notches and so forth.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
¼" plywood can be cut with any jigsaw, and if you start with the rosin paper and a pair of scissors you will only need a bit of patience to have a great fit..

Once yer happy with the rosin paper's fit, transfer it to the plywood, and jigsaw cut it out.

Then, glue that (upside down) to the back of the linoleum.

Cut around the edges of the plywood to trim the linoleum.

Done!

If the surface isn't flat, one piece, and stable, you won't likely be happy with the results...