Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Moscow , Idaho
Bamboo: yea or nay?

Hi friends,

I'm in love with the idea of bamboo flooring in my 1976 31' Sovereign.

I see cork is very popular but I'm not too concerned about weight. Is there any other reasons that I should reconsider?

Also any advice on handling the contoured curve of the end caps when cutting flooring?

Thank you for your time.
C
Cody Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Madison View Post
Hi friends,

I'm in love with the idea of bamboo flooring in my 1976 31' Sovereign.

I see cork is very popular but I'm not too concerned about weight. Is there any other reasons that I should reconsider?

Also any advice on handling the contoured curve of the end caps when cutting flooring?

Thank you for your time.
C
I wouldn't call this advice, because it just an idea. However if I correctly understand what you are talking about, I believe I would try flexible vinyl quarter round molding of an appropriate color, after trimming the flooring as best as I could.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
I am also considering removing our original carpet and replacing it with a floating cork floor. I originally considered bamboo, but the more research I did the more I am leaning toward cork. Bamboo is heavier and much more susceptible to temperature and humidity changes than cork. I went to a local quality flooring store to discuss the options. They don't even carry bamboo anymore because of the problems they had with it in vacation homes in the Tahoe area that had big temperature and humidity swings between summer and winter.

The cork flooring I'm looking at comes in interlocking planks and you can order from a wide assortment of quarter-round and transition trim pieces. All of my end caps are square which simplifies the job for me. I recently talked to a guy who created a curved quarter-round to match his curved end cap. He first made a template out of paper or cardboard, then transferred the template design to a solid piece of wood. Then he routed the quarter-round outside edge of the wood and cut the inside edge with a jig saw. He stained it to match his other quarter-round trim. It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty darn close. I wouldn't have noticed it if he hadn't pointed it out to me. Pretty clever. I suppose if you didn't have a router, you could also accomplish the quarter-round edge with a belt sander. It would just take more time.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:10 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
How does cork hold up to pets?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
jerbear315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
I can't speak to cork flooring in an Airstream, but we had cork flooring in our house that was impervious to just about everything short of nuclear blast.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:56 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Pacifica , California
hmm I am really interested in bamboo as well- Cali Bamboo (what Hofman Architecture's trailers has) seems seriously indestructible but also quite pricey. Cork seems like it would be hard to clean. Anyone have experience with it? Do you just sweep it?
Old 02-06-2015, 09:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
In our home we waxed it about every year, with Minwax or some such product.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:43 PM   #8
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We have bamboo flooring in our house and would not put it in our TT. Contrary to what we read about bamboo beforehand, it shows scratches much more than the oak flooring we have elsewhere in the house. If we had it to do over, we would not have installed the bamboo, and will not do so again.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I also installed Bamboo flooring in my previous house and wouldn't do it again. Rolling a queen bed with 2" wide plastic rollers left marks in the wood. Also found out that Bamboo is like sugar cane and termites love it. Oak is much better.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Pacifica , California
oh my I never even thought of termites....
Old 02-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Waynesville , North Carolina
We glued down 24" cork squares in early 2010 and very happy with the product. Withstands temperature variances, dog claws, dog vomit, sand, water and food spills. And I never got around to applying the sealer that Globus Cork sent with the tiles. It's warm for bare feet in the winter and cool in the summer. We mostly just sweep and vacuum with an occasional mop.
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:47 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Crackers View Post
We glued down 24" cork squares in early 2010 and very happy with the product. Withstands temperature variances, dog claws, dog vomit, sand, water and food spills. And I never got around to applying the sealer that Globus Cork sent with the tiles. It's warm for bare feet in the winter and cool in the summer. We mostly just sweep and vacuum with an occasional mop.
I'm considering this same product. What surface prep or underlayment did your floor require? I only had to replace one plywood sheet of my subfloor, and the seam and old floor may be rough enough to show through without serious work.

Thanks,
Alan
TennTex is offline   Reply With Quote