Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2005, 03:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Wink I love this forum!

Just got back from Lowe's where we went to look at some things for our '76 Safari. I saw the bamboo flooring and thought Wow! this would be great for replacing the old carpet. Got home and came to the forum to see if anyone had done it and found this thread. Fantastic job, Pahaska! And thank you so much for documenting your project.
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:38 PM   #22
1977 28' argosy moho

scarborough , ontario
aluminum oxide finishes

We put prefinished 3" wide hardwood all through our house two years ago. Two adults, two kids, a dog and two cats haven't dulled the finish a bit. It's got 15 coats and is guaranteed for 25 years. We're very happy and would recommend it to anyone.
Warbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 07:55 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
What was the part number of the bamboo flooring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
I bought it at Lowe's. They had a display board in the flooring dept with twocolors: blonde and carbonized. I chose the carbonized. They don't stock it in the store, but it came in about 10 days.

I found that Pergo cherry trim matched the floor color perfectly.

What was the thickness of the bamboo you ordered or better yet was there a part number associated with it? Also did you put down a sub-floor?

I'm asking about the sub-floor since I went to the I-floor website and their installation procedures were somewhat intimidating. They were talking about keeping constant humidity and temperature level, etc. Thanks again!

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 08:02 AM   #24
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny
What was the thickness of the bamboo you ordered or better yet was there a part number associated with it? Also did you put down a sub-floor?

I'm asking about the sub-floor since I went to the I-floor website and their installation procedures were somewhat intimidating. They were talking about keeping constant humidity and temperature level, etc. Thanks again!

Mitch
I would guess it was about 7/16" thick. No idea of a part number. I saw it on a display at Lowe's and liked the color and price, so I ordered two boxes.

I laid the bamboo right over the plywood flooring. There were big staples where the plywood sheets joined; I pounded these down a bit with a hammer, but the thickness of the adhesive was enough that there was no print through of the staples.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 05:12 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Wink

John its been another 6 months since your last retrospective, I know you have put a few road miles on the trailer since then. Anything to report as to gaps, or any type of flooring probs with the bamboo overlay?

Also did you use 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch quarter round?

Also could you explain the need for and the definition of a "dead blow" hammer.

Thanks

Flicka
Hit'nMiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 06:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
We're putting down a wood floor. We want to put it down right over the plywood with some subfloor adhesive and a brad nailer. Did you use anything except the "glue"? What kind of glue are you talking about?
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:22 PM   #27
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitnMiss
John its been another 6 months since your last retrospective, I know you have put a few road miles on the trailer since then. Anything to report as to gaps, or any type of flooring probs with the bamboo overlay?
No problems whatever. All joints are tight and there are no squeaks. Some scratches from gravel tracked in, but not severe. I try to keep a good coat of wax on it.

Quote:
Also did you use 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch quarter round?
I used the Pergo quarter round trim which, as I recall, must be about 5/8" or 3/4". The cherry finish matched my bamboo color quite well.

Quote:
Also could you explain the need for and the definition of a "dead blow" hammer.
It is a plastic hammer full of BB shot. It is fairly heavy, but does no damage even with a hard blow. I found it invaluable in seating the interlocking joints tight or moving a plank a fraction to get a tight end joint.

Thanks

Flicka[/QUOTE]
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-30-2005, 09:31 PM   #28
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
We're putting down a wood floor. We want to put it down right over the plywood with some subfloor adhesive and a brad nailer. Did you use anything except the "glue"? What kind of glue are you talking about?
I used a water soluable floor mastic I bought at Lowe's. I also used the brad nailer very sparingly. I nailed the first row adjoining the carpet and the ends adjoining the vinyl at the doorway very close to the edge so that the nail holes would be covered by the T molding. By nailing the first row, I was assured that the alignment would not change as I bumped successive planks into place.

I also used a brad several other places to insure that end joints would stay tight. The mastic grabs real quick and sometimes the planks tend to pull away from each other a bit. I would use the dead-blow hammer to tighten the joint and the elastic mastic would pull the joint open slightly after a few minutes. This was a good place to use a couple of brads on the end that would be later hidden byr the quarter round to keep the joint tight.
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-30-2005, 09:48 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Good description John!

Who's writing all this down for The AirstreamForums Book? I wish I knew half of what I've forgotten, but this thread rounds out the subject a bit more: Tips for installing wood flooring.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote