Old 03-22-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Armstrong VCT - Any gluing issues with Cold?

I'm looking at keeping it vintage. I have found an Armstrong VCT tile that looks almost like my original floor, but the secondary color is turquois, which matches the fridge and stove (instead of the original gold -which is pretty hideous).

I have a friend that will loan me a VCT cutter, so my tile will be the original 9" square.

I plan on painting the floor with KILZ, then the Armstrong primer, then the armstrong adhesive.

Has anyyone had any issues with armstrong tiles popping due to cold weather? I don't plan on hauling too much during the winter, and I'm putting new torsion axles on now, so I think I'm covered, but would like feedback if possible.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I suspect that using the glue might be the trick. We used the self-stick stuff when we redid the floor years ago, and it was a mess. Wound up removing a lot of the tiles and applying 'real' glue underneath.

Lynn

Old 07-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Armstrong not recommended

I order some of the Armstrong VCT on saturday to tile my floor. Just spoke with Armstrong and to ask about floor prep and was surprised when told that the product should not be used where temp will fall below 55 degrees. Not sure if I'm going to try it or not. The guy actually said they make no product that he could recommend! It gets down to 20's here occasionally.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I suspect that a number of household flooring glues would be such. The sticky stuff on the back of the self-stick flooring tiles was definitely that way. Looked great when applied, but then give it some nice super-hot and super-cold days (trailer in storage, unheated/uncooled), and it started popping off.

I've been using good-ol' automotive upholstery glue (aka "monkey snot") to glue down the ones that popped off. It holds.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
I order some of the Armstrong VCT on saturday to tile my floor. Just spoke with Armstrong and to ask about floor prep and was surprised when told that the product should not be used where temp will fall below 55 degrees. Not sure if I'm going to try it or not. The guy actually said they make no product that he could recommend! It gets down to 20's here occasionally.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Just wanted to bump this up a bit. I'm getting ready to do this. Found a cheap VCT cutter. Now that I have a heat pump installed with a thermostat, maybe I'll just have it out there for minimum and maximum temps. Anyone want to comment?

Thanks,

Rob

Tags
armstrong, floor, vct, vinyl