Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2007, 01:26 AM   #1

1978 25' Tradewind
Blaine , Washington
Anyone heard of Fiber Floor?

We're in the process of removing the existing vinly flooring in our 1978 25' Tradewind. Has anyone heard of FiberFloor? The product I'm considering is made by Tarkett (but other manufacturers also have similar products). It is apparently engineered fiberglass with layers of vinly on both sides, requires no glue and is easily removable. I brought a sample home with me, and it appears to be a more flexible, cushy version of vinyl flooring. I've searched these forums and was unable to find any info about this product. It's relatively new in the US but has been used in Europe for about 10 years (according to info I found on the internet). The no-glue ease of installation seemed rather appealing to me. Any thoughts?
78tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:06 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
I too have checked this out. Unlike regular vinyl over time where the plywood seams are it will cut the vinyl. This new stuff can be laid over tile and won't show where the grout marks are. It is much more expensive, but it is flexible stronger and doesn't have to be glued. I am seriously looking at this also. $$$$$$$
1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Sounds interesting. Does the manufacturer or distributor state whether it is intended for installation only in stationary structures? Do either discuss it's installation in mobile environments like our Airstreams?
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:33 AM   #4

1978 25' Tradewind
Blaine , Washington
Thought I'd give an update of my research about this product. I called the Tarkett tech. support line and subsequently have decided not to go with this product. Apparently it does not hold up well under heat. At temparatures around 100 degrees F or more the product could break down (melt) because it contains latex to make it spongy. He said the higher grade Tarkett regular vinyl flooring could be installed without adhesive. He also advised the all or nothing approach with adhesive; advising against glueing edges only. Although we don't live in a climate with extreme temperatures, I would like to think I could travel through Arizona in the middle of the summer (not that I will) without discovering that my kitchen floor has turned into a puddle!
78tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote