Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Allure Trafficmaster Vinyl Planks

We ordered flooring today. Allure Resilient planks - Lisbon Cork. The sales literature says "Lay allure directly on top of your old flooring. No surface preparation is needed. With our patented GripStrip process, you just lay the allure planks down and secure them together easily, with no messy adhesive required. The planks stick to each other, not to your floor, and they were designed for easy handling. To cut simply score and snap." We took out a very similar product that the po had put down - wood look - and while it wasn't horrible, the install was dodgy and it was put down over some weak subfloor (which we have replaced). It is "floating" as it is not adhered to the subfloor. Should be delivered in less than two weeks.
Anyone else use this product? Advice appreciated.
hippiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
I was recently going to use their commercial grade planks in a building but took it all back to Home Depot when I found several reports on the internet of strong chemical odours. Maybe you should lay out some sheets in a room in your house and test for this before committing/cutting it for your van.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Use the 'search' tab for allure or traffic master...several threads here on the product.

I'm camping right now in our 34' with it...this is our 2nd trailer where we installed it...very happy.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I used it in two Airstreams. No chemical odor. Very nice looking and durable. Cleans up well....the color/style is a personal choice...I put mine down on top of under layment sheeting ...like with Pergo. Cut your butts straight AND...the best advice I can give is when you lay it, plan the direction of work. If you try to slide the adhesive edge under the previous piece...your in for trouble. Plan to lay to the top side of the adhesive sides.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I put it in mine this year. No reports yet. Still in the process of building and installing new cabinets and furniture. I picked it because it's easy to install and waterproof.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
I've used it several times without any problems so far. Have it in an upstairs office - the oak plank - it's held up well with rolling desk chars. We're in the process of installing the Corfu Tile in a downstairs area. I've seen mention of an odor but have never experienced it.

The score snd snap is fine if you don't mind the edges being a little rough as when it's covered in a molding. If you want quick clean ends rent a laminate floor cutter.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Euless , Texas
I used the Allure Trafficmaster Oak and had no problems with odors. It has been down about 6 months. Took about 5 nights of work after my paying job was done for the day. I am very happy with the product.
tx70amb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Thanks so much for all the info. Found some other threads and have been soaking up all the advice I can find. I think it's going to look really nice. My husband is skilled at lots of things and we have a friend who is also very handy. Hoping it goes smoothly. Will post pics but it will be a while yet as we are still working on cabinet refinishing.
Gary, thanks for the tip, we probably will rent or borrow a cutter to make the ends as neat as possible.
hippiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
Orlando , Florida
We've heard a lot of bad things about Allure. We live in FL and our trailer gets to 115 degrees F in the summer. We are concerned about it buckling in the heat. Any issues or tips you can give us?
Vintage1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
We have had our in for 2 Florida summers and have had no problems. We would put it in again.
regards,
joe
Old 09-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Euless , Texas
Real Heat in Texas 2011

We have had nearly 60 days of triple digit heat this summer and I see no signs of buckling. I have seen 124o heat in the trailer this summer. The only way to stand the heat is to have a box van 5' away. This was the summer to pass the question of buckling or not.
tx70amb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Allure Issues

We installed the Allure Bamboo two years ago and are now experiencing some seam separation. This is occurring at the ends of the planks. This flooring is easy to work with but as it has been posted earlier...there could be some off-gassing problems. Check out:

ottoblotto's blog: Allure Flooring Stinks

While we have not had the problems others have had, I would still be concerned. I am now looking for an alternative flooring for our "74" Tradewind.

Bob

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Got some today on a Black Friday sale at Home Depot for .99 cents a square foot . Pretty cheap! We're putting it in my daughters Avion. Hope it goes well (and we'll open the windows of if smells!)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #14
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
My experience with this flooring has been somewhat negative. If you lay it down when hot the flooring is expanded and wont buckle in the future.. but when it gets cold out side these strips shrink considerably and a gap will form somewhere. Mine happens to be right when you walk in and is very visual. I have also noticed that the edges seem to lift in a few places. The plus side is that its very easy to install. Not sure I would use it again but for now its ok.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Pflugerville , Texas
We have put down commercial grade vinyl planks in our home and the only problem was that it telegraphs any bumps or dips in the floor but we and the dogs are happy with it.
Good Luck
Bill
Old 01-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
I installed the light oak Traffic Master in 2009 over 1/4 inch luan. No problems or odor at all. Just take into account that it will shrink and swell depending on the temperature. Try to install it when the temp is not at either extreme and give it alittle space at the edges so it can move. If you are going to add trim, try to attach the trim so that the flooring can move in and out under the trim. G
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #17

1969 29' Ambassador
Fargo , North Dakota
I installed Allure and experienced shrinkage on some of the butt joints. Not all but some. Would put in again.
billybucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybucks View Post
I installed Allure and experienced shrinkage on some of the butt joints. Not all but some. Would put in again.
Did that happen over the winter? If so, did the warm weather make the shrinkage go away?

If you can post some photos, I would be grateful.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybucks View Post
Me too! In winter a few of the long joints open anough to notice. It's better than the OEM tiles . . . I guess . . .
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
We've had our TrafficMaster floor for over two years. Small gaps show up in the winter at the butt ends but disappear after it warms up. It's a great floor and the small amount of shrinking in the winter is well worth the durability and overall appearance. We installed the cork color and could not be happier with the result and performance of this tile.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cork, vinyl planks, floor repair