Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Is the type that locks less likely to separate between cold and hot temperatures than the type that sticks? Is there anything in the flooring specifications that shows temperature ranges for the product?

The click together is thicker than the stick together. Can they both be installed over the AS lino?

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Is the type that locks less likely to separate between cold and hot temperatures than the type that sticks? Is there anything in the flooring specifications that shows temperature ranges for the product?

The click together is thicker than the stick together. Can they both be installed over the AS lino?

Kelvin
We removed our original floor before applying Allure vinyl planks with the sticky side seams. That allowed us to correct any loose fasteners, etc. before laying the new floor. We laid it lengthwise in our Airstream and made all end cross cuts with a power cross cut saw that gave us a great looking floor. We left about 1/4" gap along the edges and covered this with stained molding to match our hardwoods. We get up to a 3/16" gap on some planks in the winter but these disappear during the summer and we love this floor even in the winter. The secret to eliminate the lengthway gaps on the adhesive side is to have the adhesive side on the bottom and hold the next plank at a 45 degree angle until the end and side is tight to the previous plank and you shouldn't have a problem.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I installed the Allure in my 02 Safari 25 about 18 months ago. I have been very happy with it. One mistake that I made was to not check close enough for small nails in the plywood subfloor. There were a number of small nails (looked like finish nails) in my subfloor. They were not sticking up and were not all easily detectable. The ones that I did not remove are starting to show small bumps in the Allure. They may wear holes in the floor at some point. I know better next time.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:26 AM   #44
Luc
2 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Cape Canaveral , Florida
My original blue carpet HAS to go... I am thinking about Trafficmaster Allure. Lots of great info on this thread. Thank you!
I do have one question: Has anyone installed it after removing all the cabinets/furniture or is everyone installing it around it?
It is a "floating" floor...
My carpet is under everything and I plan on removing everything in the trailer to get rid of it completely. Should I lay the new floor and re-install all the cabinets on top of the vinyl or re-install the cabinets right on the sub floor and install new florring around everything?
Anyone with that same experience? Any tips, thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated!
Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:04 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
My original blue carpet HAS to go... I am thinking about Trafficmaster Allure. Lots of great info on this thread. Thank you!
I do have one question: Has anyone installed it after removing all the cabinets/furniture or is everyone installing it around it?
It is a "floating" floor...
My carpet is under everything and I plan on removing everything in the trailer to get rid of it completely. Should I lay the new floor and re-install all the cabinets on top of the vinyl or re-install the cabinets right on the sub floor and install new florring around everything?
Anyone with that same experience? Any tips, thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated!
I installed it under some of the cabinets/stuff in our '91 and have not seen any ill effects of bolting thru it. It's under our sofa, bed, tv Cabinet and the dinette
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #46
1 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
Orlando , Florida
If you are removing cabinets, I would consider installing the floor underneath them because it won't cost much more but it will be a lot easier than cutting around the cabinets which is very time consuming.
Vintage1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Ormond Beach , Florida
Allure Flooring

Three years ago I installed Allure snap and click flooring in my 2002 Classic. I removed all the cabinets I could and the sofa and cut out the carpet around the perimeter that I could reach. It was easy in the bedroom because I took out the bed (while the bed was out, I converted the queen to two twin beds). What cabinets I could not remove, I opened the bottom drawers and cut out the carpet. Could not remove carpet under kitchen cabinets, shower, closets, refrigerator and microwave. I added underlayment by screwing it down with 3/4" wood screws so that I would not go through the 5/8" plywood floor. I did not glue it down. Nor did I glue down the Allure per manufacturer's directions.

I left a 1/8" open space around the perimeter for expansion and contraction with the exception of cabinets I were able to remove and the sofa. Those I re-secured to the floor. I added base molding. Really looked good.

Two years later after the seams opened due to weather and floor flex, I went through the same process but this time put down sheet vinyl. Now it really looks good and I don't have to worry about seams separated.
WBAC #1021
Ormond Beach, FL
1966 20' Globe Trotter
2015 Nissan Frontier SL
floridalarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:50 AM   #48
Luc
2 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Cape Canaveral , Florida
Thanks for the input. I will take all that I can! This subject is very confusing to me. So many different experiences with this product...
Larry, did you glue the sheet vinyl?
Old 06-08-2013, 05:18 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Jacksonville , Florida
Wow! So many opposite experiences? Anyone have anything new to add about allure?
I was about to lay this stuff today, but..........
My 68 AS is empty, I was wanting to lay this stuff UNDER my cabinets and walls.
I was thinking it would be much easier, and I would have a nice surface in my cabinets etc.
Some in this thread have done this and have had no buckling problems and love it???
I Laid 1/2" tongue and groove maple in my '93, looks great, but one of the hardest jobs I've ever done! .......not again
I'm tempted to use sheet vinyl, easy but one gouge and your screwed.
I really liked the idea of the ease of installation and durability of the allure.....but now I am really confused
luvoldstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:39 AM   #50
Luc
2 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Cape Canaveral , Florida
Yes. Confusing. This forum is great. Full of information. But, there is always contradictions and opposite points of views and testimonies. On of the only thing most people seem to agree on is that Vulkem is messy!
I am where you are. Everything is out of my trailer. I had several leaks and floor rot. Fixed the leaks, replace rotten floor and install 6 mill plywood over everything. I hear how Marmoleum is the greatest flooring material. Laying a big sheet might be out of the question for me.
Could not find much info anywhere about it but I am going to lay Marmoleum 20x20 tiles. I will let you know how that turns out...
Old 06-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Jacksonville , Florida
Well, after a lot of back and forth, I laid the allure blonde maple from home depot. I am very happy with it! I could not pull the trigger on the sheet vinyl. I must have walked back and forth comparing a dozen times!
It looks better than the real stuff to me, and not as much worry about moisture. We'll see how it holds up, and if it buckles or something. (if it does I'll just get out the utility knife!)
Laying the first two rows by the door and up by the front curve took the longest and was tedious,took about an hour, but after that it was a breeze. It only took another hour to complete. The wife looked in on the first stage and thought I'd be there all night, she looked back in 30 minutes later and it was done.
Here are some things I would recommend:

-Call HD and nake sure they have the amount you need, I ended up driving across town to another store.
-Clean the floors meticulously. Sweep, sweep sweep vacuum vacuum. Any debris will end up in the sticky edges and embedded in your knees.
-Throw your trash away as you go, a lot of paper/cardboard.
-Get a quick change razor knife and a lot of blades.
-It is score and snap-love it! even curves and angles if your careful.
- Get the gaps as close as possible, but there will be some very light variances, I've dealt with a lot of wood floors and there are gaps, it looks more natural anyway. Where there are no gaps it looks a little unnatural to me. (lay at room temperature to warm). Gaps will be bigger in the winter.
- Of coarse stagger your joints randomly.
I left some subfloor exposed around the edges (under cabinets etc) so I could check for leaks.
I'll post a pic later.
luvoldstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #52
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
No....it also comes as click together.
Yes you're right, they even have it in Canada. I can't talk for the click together version, since we have only worked with the sticky type twice now in homes,and once in the trailer.

We're used to it (relatively easy to cut) and like it. Maybe you prefer the click one. To each his (or her) own I guess.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The problem I had with click lock was the substrate was not water resistant.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
The problem I had with click lock was the substrate was not water resistant.
Good to know....I haven't done anything yet in the Avion. I ripped out the old carpet & the vinyl was still under it. Threw down some rugs & I'm going camping for a couple weeks! I'm still chewing on the whole issue.....just really don't want to do any of it any time soon!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cork, vinyl planks, floor repair