Old 05-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Allure TrafficMaster

Hi all,
We are planning to get rid of the carpet in our '94 28' Excella this year. Right now it appears that we will be going with allure trafficMASTER from Home Depot. This seems like a very easy do it yourself floating floor system. I have searched the forums and not found too much on this flooring and thus have a few questions.

Did you put down an underlayment or put it directly on the plywood floor?

Did you put it lengthwise or crosswise? We are thinking crosswise.

Did you install breaks (thresholds) between the various areas of the trailer (e.g. between the bedroom and bath or kichen, etc.) to add more expansion joints? Or did you just install it end to end with no additional joints?

For those that installed it in the bath, did you remove the toilet and install it under, effectively fixing it at that point (i.e. it cannot "float" at that point), or did you trim it around the toilet? If the former, how does one reseal the toilet thru and additional thickness of flooring? If the latter, how did you cover the gap around the toilet base?

Likewise, did you do anything under the front goucho and side fold up tables to allow the floor to "float" in these areas? I am thinking I can cut a clearance hole thru the flooring and use some spacers to keep these items from being bolted tightly thru the flooring, if necessary.

For those that have had it installed for a season or two, how long have you had it and have there been any issues like buckling or gapping due to temperature changes or frame flex?

As for color choice, did you go with a lighter or darker color and why? The one we like best is darker, but most allure or laminate photo's on the forum seem to be of lighter colors. We are concerned if choosing dark will make the trailer seem dimmer at night when there is no natural light coming thru the windows.

Thanks in advance if you can answer any or all of these questions. We've got to make a choice soon as we need to get our order in for a special order allure color, so that we have it in time to install over the Memorial Day weekend.

WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Bump!

Just looking for a little flooring help. Surely someone has put down TrafficMASTER Allure or a siminlar product like Konecto and can offer some advice. Thanks in advance.

P.S. for those that don't know, while my local Home Depot stocks about 5 types of Allure planks and two types of Allure "slate like" tiles, all "floating", there are about two dozen types that can be special ordered in various patterns, including cork.

WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 05-05-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Joe try the "have you tried this flooring?' thread. I think that covers both those products. Sorry I don't know how to post links.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Dave, Thanks. I have scanned that thread but didn't find all of the answers. I guess I should go back and read it in detail. I am perhaps most interested in an answer to the question about how to handle the toilet (put floor under it, or cut it around and figure out how to hide the gap).
WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 05-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
LookingThroughALens

1976 Argosy 24
Marietta , Georgia
Directly on plywood.

lengthwise

Did you install breaks (thresholds) between the various areas of the trailer
No.

For those that installed it in the bath, did you remove the toilet and install it
Luckily in our argosy the toilet is on a platform. There is a small floor area with metal transition to the bath and toilet platform. We just put the floor in the small area.

Likewise, did you do anything under the front goucho and side fold up tables to allow the floor to "float" in these areas? I am thinking I can cut a
We ran ours under the side table but ran it up to but not under the gaucho. Ours had carpet up to the gaucho and what appears to be some kind of tile under it. We decided to follow what a PO had done and only go to the couch.

have there been any issues like buckling or gapping due to temperature changes or frame flex?
We installed it in the heat of last summer (85+ deg). There was gapping during the cold season but the gaps have closed now that warmer temperatures have arrived. I would recommend installing on a fairly warm 65-75 degree day not in the heat of summer like we did. We definitely will not have any buckling due to high heat in summer though.

We chose the color (Oak) because it seemed to match the existing wood look in the trailer the best. [see photos in http://www.airforums.com/forums/f461...g-33650-2.html]

We are very pleased with the outcome. It is SO easy to clean which is important when you are traveling with 3 dogs and a cat.

Good luck and enjoy!

Anne
Old 05-05-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Anne,
Thanks for the reply. I guess you got lucky that your toilet was on a raised platform. The rest of your post gives me hope that I am making the right choice. Thanks again.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 05-05-2008, 10:22 PM   #7

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We did it in our '77, lengthwise, no subfloor. So far no regrets. I did post in one of the threads, I think it was in the "Has anyone tried this floor..." It's much better than the hardwood we did in our last RV.

PM me if you have any questions.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Thanks HiHo,
Since both you and atuner live far south of Michigan (i.e. in the hot south) and have had no heat related issues I am less concerned about the warning in the Allure installation instructions that I read last night that says that temperatures over 95 degrees over extended time can melt the adhesive and damage the flooring. I'm sure the inside of an Airstream exceeds that temperature when in storage or otherwise closed up during the summer.

We will soon need to finalize our color choice.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 05-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I installed the Traffic Master in my '89 Excella. I used the light oak color because the trailer was very dark. Dark oak wood cabinets, tinted windows and dark wood mini blinds. I used the green foam underlayment. I used a transition strip between the hallway and carpeting at the beginning of the rear bedroom. (Queen bed) Any furniture that was screwed to the floor I removed and when replaved O drilled oversized holes in the floor prior to reinstallation. I removed the toilet and I think? I used a toilet flange spacer to account for the additional thickness of the floor, but can't exactly remember. The toilet gets secured to the tilet flange, not the floor so no worry about buckling. The floor was installed lengthwise with matching quarter round moulding on the sides. The floor remained beautiful with 2 teenage boys and a Rhodesian Ridgeback through extensive travels. It surived below zero temps in Maine and summertime closed up temps well into the 100's.
I am starting next week to put down a cherry laminate that has the green backing already installed. Should be only slightly easier. It will also go down lengthwise. I think installing across is a little easier, but I like the long look - not as choppy. This model has the toilet on a platform, not sure how this will work but will figure it out along the way. In the '89 the couch was out for new upholstery, so put down a few inches underneath. This time will probably butt up against it.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
We laid down a layer of 1/4" oak ply under the Allure TrafficMaster in our 72 Argosy.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Laminate FLoating FLoor

Put directly on plywood. So far no squeaks or squawks. You could use rossin paper if you wanted to.

We ran the lengths crosswise, we thought it looked better and the run down the hall was easier.

Did you install breaks (thresholds) between the various areas of the trailer (e.g. between the bedroom and bath or kichen, etc.) to add more expansion joints? Or did you just install it end to end with no additional joints?

We put one threshold between galley and bathroom

For those that installed it in the bath, did you remove the toilet and install it under, effectively fixing it at that point (i.e. it cannot "float" at that point), or did you trim it around the toilet? If the former, how does one reseal the toilet thru and additional thickness of flooring? If the latter, how did you cover the gap around the toilet base?

I sort of goofed here. I did not remove / unscrew the toilet closet flange and had to make a “donut” out of a piece of flooring in order to raise up the closet flange. So learn from my mistake; remove the closet flange and run the flooring up to the hole in the floor. When you re-attach the closet flange just drill oversized holes in the flooring around the toilet flange to allow the floor to “float” under the flange

Likewise, did you do anything under the front goucho and side fold up tables to allow the floor to "float" in these areas? I am thinking I can cut a clearance hole thru the flooring and use some spacers to keep these items from being bolted tightly thru the flooring, if necessary.

My best investment in this project was to rent an electric undercut saw from Home Depot for the weekend. I undercut all cabinetry and the sofa frame which allowed me to slide the flooring under everything and negated the need for molding. Anything that needed to be fastened directly to the floor, I just drilled oversized holes to allow the floor to "float".

For those that have had it installed for a season or two, how long have you had it and have there been any issues like buckling or gapping due to temperature changes or frame flex?

I installed mine during this winter and have driven it eight ours out to Ohio and back and have had no problems so far...knock laminate.

As for color choice, did you go with a lighter or darker color and why? The one we like best is darker, but most allure or laminate photo's on the forum seem to be of lighter colors. We are concerned if choosing dark will make the trailer seem dimmer at night when there is no natural light coming thru the windows.

As for color we were lucky to have enough left over from our non-mobile home remodel to do the job in the trailer so there was no color choice. You can see pictures of the new floor here.

http://airstreamlife.ning.com/profile/DEITZ645

It is a Wilsonart product in cherry family.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #12
LookingThroughALens

1976 Argosy 24
Marietta , Georgia
I am noticing in this post that some people have installed laminate and some the vinyl "wood" flooring (allure). Both have the traffic master name. Ours was the vinyl flooring planks in case that wasn't clear.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:29 PM   #13

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Ours is also the vinyl. I ran it long ways down the trailer and have been pleased as well as receiving many complements on the look.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the clarification, it definitely seemed like some people were talking about two different things.

I saw the vinyl "planks" at HD and thought they looked really good. Given its flexibility, it seems to me it would be an excellent flooring choice for an Airstream.

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote