Old 05-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #113

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
We...., Allure may not experience the same issues we have seen up here in the north, but it will shill shrink and grow a little with any temperature change. Leave a little room around the edges for this unless you are laying it at 100+F temperatures.
I can give a report, I too have noticed a large gap grow on then end joints this past winter. I haven't seen it decrease as the weather has warmed.
I guess we will wait for the real 90 degree 90% humidity to see if the gaps close

It's still 100% better than carpet or real wood (I've had both)

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #114
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
We installed our Traffic master in August of 08 with very warm temps. During the winter I was more than concerned that there were several large gaps. I left room on the edges for this as they told me it might happen a bit but it actually fluctuates alot! Overall im happy with it and i like the texture. We will just have to see how it holds up. I worry about dirt and stuff in the seams and then when it closes back up it might damage it. Who knows. Wont be the end of the world if i have to change it out again some day just not some day soon..

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #115
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1990 34' Excella
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
The installation instructions indicate 15 degrees to 95 degrees as the temperature range for using the product....?
Ganglin,
The box of Novalis said something about it not being guaranteed at temperatures below 55 degrees and above 85. I may've misread it but--this does not seem as if it would be a good application in a trailer living in the Northeast??
Kathleen
Old 09-25-2009, 03:14 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
An update...

I have recently discovered that there are several relatively new patterns of Allure vinyl flooring available at Home Depot. They now have a line that is called "commercial" which can even be used on garage floors according to the literature. It is a bit thicker than the other products and a little more expensive. The interesting thing is that there are diamond plate patterns, raised coin patterns and confetti patterns available in a lot of different colors. I also found that if you can find a Home Depot that stocks some of the commercial stuff that it will be less expensive than if you have to order it. One of the Home Depot stores near me carries the coffee confetti pattern, a gray confetti pattern and black diamond plate. Each of these products sells for $2.39 per square foot in boxes that contain 24 square feet. If you have to order these products they run more like $3.29 per square foot. The other types with wood grain or tile are still cheaper with prices as low as $1.79 per square foot. I decided to try some of the coffee confetti pattern in my basement. It does install pretty easily and seems very tough. You cut it by scoring the surface with a razor knife a few times and then snapping along the cut to break it. It is not that easy to cut even with the razor knife. Being somewhat thicker it will add a bit more weight to your Airstream.

Malcolm
Old 09-25-2009, 09:30 AM   #117
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I put down some of the Allure Trafficmaster. It looked great - for awhile......
It was put down in the warm weather and after the first cold spell in 2008 it shrunk up. Since then it hasn't shrunk or expanded but has left gaps in several of the ends. Maybe sometime when I get some time I change a few pieces out and see if I can make it look better.
If it hadn't moved around it would have been the perfect solution to replace the old carpet.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #118
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Gaps when cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I put down some of the Allure Trafficmaster. It looked great - for awhile......
It was put down in the warm weather and after the first cold spell in 2008 it shrunk up. Since then it hasn't shrunk or expanded but has left gaps in several of the ends. Maybe sometime when I get some time I change a few pieces out and see if I can make it look better.
If it hadn't moved around it would have been the perfect solution to replace the old carpet.

I too had a few areas that seem to shrink when cold as well. I took the time to replace a couple pieces before the gaps filled up with dirt and dust bunnies and so far so good. We will see what happens again this winter but im optomistic.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdenault View Post
Ganglin,
The box of Novalis said something about it not being guaranteed at temperatures below 55 degrees and above 85. I may've misread it but--this does not seem as if it would be a good application in a trailer living in the Northeast??
Kathleen
Glad this thread popped to the top. I'm halfway through my trailer renovation, having completed the back half using VCT for the flooring. I'm going to hold off on the front half trailer renovation for another year or so, but in the meantime I needed a temporary solution to replace the flooring up front, as the old peel 'n' stick tiles were getting worn and chipped.

Since I know the subfloor needs to be replaced up front, I wanted to use something inexpensive, as I know I'll be pulling it up in another year or two. I decided to use the Novalis vinyl plank flooring. It installs very easily, in a straight peel 'n' stick-to-the-floor application (not like the Allure which sticks to itself). It can be cut with a utility knife or a solid pair of scissors. I'll post some pictures here, and also plan to report back next year after it's gone through a full summer/winter/summer cycle to let you know what I find with respect to durability.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #120
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Looks like you did a great job installing it--we'll be waiting to get your feedback after you have used it awhile.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Question on the molding used with floating flooring... In normal household applications, quarter-round is nailed through to the wall joist. In an AS, where the floor hits aluminum trim or an aluminum wall, how did you all attach the molding? I know that if you attach it to the floor, it is no longer floating floor. Did you use like gorilla glue or some adhesive?
Old 09-28-2009, 08:13 PM   #122

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowmans View Post
Question on the molding used with floating flooring... In normal household applications, quarter-round is nailed through to the wall joist. In an AS, where the floor hits aluminum trim or an aluminum wall, how did you all attach the molding? I know that if you attach it to the floor, it is no longer floating floor. Did you use like gorilla glue or some adhesive?
I nailed it to the floor, right thru the flooring. I figure as much as the whole trailer flexes and moves, worrying about a big chunk of vinyl being 'over constrained' is not that big of a deal in the big scheme of things...
Old 09-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowmans View Post
In my case all molding was nailed to the cabinets (after pre-drilling nail holes, since we used tiny brads and were going into hard oak) with one exception. Without pre-drilling the tiny brads would just bend.

Most of the molding is pre-finished stuff we got from Home Depot (or Lowes?). While is was maybe 3/4" tall, but was only about 1/4" thick. The color match was good for our cabinets, so we used as much as we could to reduce the amount of staining and urethaning we needed to do. In a few places this molding was not large enough to cover the gap between the cabinet and floor and we went with a larger oak molding that we finished to match the rest of the cabinets. All of this was nailed in place.

The one exception was a piece of yet larger oak baseboard that the PO had put in the bathroom by gluing it to the wall. Since we had to remove it to install the flooring and since it ripped the wallpaper when we did so, we felt encouraged to reuse that piece to cover up the wallpaper damage even though we would have otherwise gone with the smaller molding to match the rest of the trailer. We refinished the piece and I then installed it with screws from behind the wall (which was accessible under one of the twin beds).

I guess you could call the threshold piece at the entry door another exception. I made a new threshold and then installed it by screwing it to the floor through over sized holes in the flooring (to let it float). I have seen others that actually installed this piece by screwing it to the door frame rather than the floor.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #124
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Englewood , Colorado
The question I have is, "did the people that reported gaps forming in the flooring, as the temperatures dropped, install their Allure as a floating floor? Or did they fix it to the sub-floor at points?" I guess I want to know if the gaps were as the result of installation, product or possibly both.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #125
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I installed mine in very hot temps all the way to the walls. When it gets cold the material shrinks causing the gaps. If I installed it cold to the walls Im sure it would buckle..

Thats my experience anyways..

Vin

Old 03-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #126

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
having done my second trailer with Traffic Master...I'd probably skip trailer #3.

I can say that the 2nd trailer worked better...I laid the strips crossways so MOST of the runs had no splices. They work great...

It's the end joints that move with temp and the GAPS DON'T CLOSE!

Even with that said...it's 200% better than carpet.