Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #81
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Eureka , California
Jigsaw puzzle is right

I too, had a difficult time cutting out the edges, when I see others photos, I wonder how they did it so well around all the cutouts. Another secret I have yet to discover.

It is so clean and neat though, took it out twice to camp in, some seams came up a bit, so rechecking that there is enough space between walls and flooring.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:33 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner View Post
I ordered (3) boxes of the teak version on 6/2... they told me 3-4 weeks. Keep you fingers crossed.
My order is "on Fed-Ex vehicle out for delivery"

8 days is much better than 3-4 weeks!
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:59 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Worked on the floor (in the storage yard) until well after dark tonight. I've got to say that is a bit spooky after the sun goes down. Anyway, I continued to put down the Allure, first finishing the bathroom and then continuing into the kitchen area. It'll take at lease one more evening to finish putting down the floor, and then another to put the goucho and tables back in, but I am making progress.

I thought I'd take a few minutes and post a teaser photo to show what the Red River Allure looks like. This one is in the bath, after replacing the old blue carpeting on the "humps" with new brown carpet, and after installing the Allure and reinstalling the toilet closet flange, but before the Toilet went back in. This is from a couple of days ago, but it provides the best image of the new floor. On the lower right corner, you can see the red underlayment. I have many more photo's before and after this image that may eventually be posted to show the process, but this is the only one for now. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Bath Floor Teaser.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	62201  
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Lots Of Worrying For Nothing

Joe,
That looks GREAT It looks like the flange came up and back down OK. Now Show us the rest of the trailer so we can admire your work.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
The actual laying of the flooring looks easy enough, but there are enough nooks and crannies to deal with... wish me luck! If your ears are ringing in a couple of days, you'll know it just me making the air blue as I'm working on this jigsaw puzzle!
That is where the undercut saws come in handy. If you undercut you can just let the flooring run "wild" under things and you don't have to worry about the expansion / contraction gap (unless you want to run "wild" out to the walls). Nor do you have to worry about quarter-round or shoe molding to cover the gaps. The only problematic area for me was one radius in the bedroom. There I ran the molding up to the beginning of the radius and along the actual radius I glued / taped a piece of carpet. I thought it actually came out quite nice, but then again I am a little biased.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I finally saw the Allure at HD today, and I'm glad I went with the Prego, even though it's a bit more money.

For those that don't know, 'Trafficmaster' is HD's 'House' name for the Allure product, according to the 'associate' I talked too. The Allure is much, thinner than the Prego laminate. It looks like the Allure will conform, over time to any imperfections in the sub floor, due to it's flexibility and lack of a base material that the Prego and like products have. The Allure looks like it's easier to install, however.

I picked up some metal cutting blades for my saw's all so I can undercut in several places...however, I can't undercut the twin beds, the refer, and the gaucho, so I'll use some quarter round and 'let her float' that way.

Finished up the clean up of the sub floor today...will see if I can get some 'boards' laid between customers tomorrow at my Battery shop!
Old 06-12-2008, 06:27 AM   #87
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
I am curious how the vinyl Allure product "feels"/"lays" over the underlayment. We didn't consider putting underlayment in our Argosy when we installed it the Allure product last summer, but that may be a different matter if we install in our kitchen.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:16 AM   #88
LookingThroughALens

1976 Argosy 24
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
I finally saw the Allure at HD today, and I'm glad I went with the Prego, even though it's a bit more money.

For those that don't know, 'Trafficmaster' is HD's 'House' name for the Allure product, according to the 'associate' I talked too. The Allure is much, thinner than the Prego laminate. It looks like the Allure will conform, over time to any imperfections in the sub floor, due to it's flexibility and lack of a base material that the Prego and like products have. The Allure looks like it's easier to install, however.
The trafficmaster is their house name for flooring but Allure is the vinyl stuff where the common trafficmaster product is a laminate (compare to Pergo). They are two different products. I think there is a lot of confusion about the vinyl planks versus laminate plank flooring.

66Overlander: your floor is looking nice. I look forward to seeing the totally finished product.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:57 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
It looks great Joe. If you come to KC in Aug I will show what the Hickory looks like in my 31'. I love the stuff, it suits well with 3 kids.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:32 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aturner4u View Post
The trafficmaster is their house name for flooring but Allure is the vinyl stuff where the common trafficmaster product is a laminate (compare to Pergo). They are two different products. I think there is a lot of confusion about the vinyl planks versus laminate plank flooring.

66Overlander: your floor is looking nice. I look forward to seeing the totally finished product.
Thank you! I think it looks fantastic, too. And yes TrafficMaster comes in two types, but we are installing the vinyl plank version which is called Allure. We are very pleased with the choice and the color. I almost finished putting down the Allure over the last two days (other commitments limited my time each evening). I am up to the front goucho. One or two more rows to get under the front edge of the goucho and the flooring will be complete. It sure goes faster when you get out in the open past the last cabinet and there are no complex corner cuts. I didn't get any good photo's today, though, because I finished up near dark and the battery and lights were getting dim. I am looking forward to getting the floor done and goucho and tables back in, but that might not be until early next week because of commitments over the coming weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike T View Post
I am curious how the vinyl Allure product "feels"/"lays" over the underlayment. We didn't consider putting underlayment in our Argosy when we installed it the Allure product last summer, but that may be a different matter if we install in our kitchen.
It lays over the underlayment just fine. In fact, it was almost a necessity in one manner to use the underlayment - the wall carpet typically extends over the outer half inch of the flooring - it is almost the same thickness as the underlayment, so to get the Allure to lay flat, I just cut the underlayment short of the wall carpet. Had I not used the underlayment the Allure would have bent up at the outer floor edges somewhat - or else I'd have had to cut that carpet edge off instead. As it is, I laid the Allure right over that carpet edge and think this makes it more forgiving as far as the edge gap goes. I am hoping that there will now be no noticable gap at the edge due to temperature swings, even without putting shoe molding against the fuzzy outside walls. I have photo's to illustrate this, but they must wait until I have the time to review and edit them for posting.

But back to installing Allure over the underlayment - I just "walked the seams to set them - no 100 lb. roller. There is a little springiness to the flooring that is nice when walking in bare feet - not a soft as carpet, but not rock hard either. We put down the underlayment mainly to add this cushioning and to hope that it will even out the occassional bolt head that protrudes ever so slightly that I did not take a grinder to. The other reason (besides the edge carpet issue mentioned above) was that it helps raise the flooring slightly under some of the cabinets. In some places I don't think I will need shoe molding because of this (but in some places I will still need it). I guess in the end, the decision to use the underlayment was due to a convergence of at least four factors. I love it when a plan comes together! (but I guess time will tell if this was the right decision from a durability perspective.)
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 06-16-2008, 09:57 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Here's some pics of the Prego laminated Indian Tigerwood flooring I mentioned above....

Old 06-17-2008, 04:12 AM   #92
LookingThroughALens

1976 Argosy 24
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Here's some pics of the Prego laminated Indian Tigerwood flooring I mentioned above....
Looks good.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:18 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Finally got back to the floor today. Got a late start, but got the goucho frame bolted down and the final row of Allure installed. I am leaving the rest of the floor under the goucho unfinished, because it won't be visible once everything is reinstalled and because leaving the plywood exposed will make it easier to identify any future leaks at the front of the shell. The dark areas of plywood that are visible under the goucho frame are from the Minwax Wood Hardener I put down as a precaution against future leaks.

Sorry the photo isn't better, but it was again dark by the time I finished. Tomorrow I hope to complete the reinstallation of the goucho, arm rests, and flip up tables. Maybe then I can get some good photo's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor and Goucho Frame.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	62577  
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 07-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #94
LookingThroughALens

1976 Argosy 24
Marietta , Georgia
Joe> any finished photos? Do you still like the product and look?
Old 07-27-2008, 07:24 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aturner4u View Post
Joe> any finished photos? Do you still like the product and look?
Lorrie and I love the look and feel, but due to various factors, the install isn't 100% done yet and we haven't actually camped in it since we put it down. I have about half of the shoe molding installed and half to go. Hopefully that gets finished next weekend and then I can call the instal 100% complate. Then I'll have no excuse to not post some before and after photos. And then we finally go camping and test it out in early August.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 07-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Joe,

How about mid-August in Milan? We have a few folks coming in from far away.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I noticed the other day that my local Home Depot seems to have a lot more of the Traficmaster Allure in stock now. They have four wood colors and 1 or two tile patterns all in stock.

Malcolm
Old 09-13-2008, 05:49 PM   #98
2 Rivet Member

pagosa springs , Colorado
Anyone have any idea how many boxes of the Trafficmaster it would take for a 68 Safari 22'?
gc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc24 View Post
Anyone have any idea how many boxes of the Trafficmaster it would take for a 68 Safari 22'?
3-4 boxes
Old 09-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc24 View Post
3-4 boxes