Old 06-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Was at Home Depot on Saturday - now they say the flooring should be "in" next Friday. Arrgghh!

I worked on the trailer in the storage yard rather then pulling it home this weekend. Among other projects, I removed the toilet flange screws, but could not budge it (didn't have the parts with me to make the spanner wrench). I then did the unthinkable and reached down the hole and felt that back side of the flange to confirm if I could feel threads (I could). That confirms it is a screw in version, so now I need to make that spanner.

I had decided the floor was hard enough (even though there were signs of water leaks) that I wasn't going to apply a hardener, but with the flooring delay, since I had already purchased some MinWax hardener, I also put that down around the floor edges today, just as a little insuance. All I can say is make sure all the windows are open if you ever do this - the fumes were intense. I hope they are gone by next weekend so that I can install the flooring (assuming it does come "in" on Friday).

SIDE NOTE: We have found that we can get Vulkem 626 and 636 from a local Fastenall store (but the smoother 636 is special order) for less than any online source I have found (between $5 and $6 per tube, can't remember the exact price). We ordered a few tubes of 636 (that is supposed to be in on Tuesday) so that I can get back to caulking seams, too.

WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
66overlander,
I couldn't budge my flange either. I tried un-screwing it with my hands and I tried tapping it in the direction it unscrews with a brass drift and a ball peen hamer and it would not move. But once I made the spanner wrench it came out just like opening a soda bottle. Like Archimedes said..."Give me a lever large enough and I'll move the world.

I used the Minwax hardener as a precation too, and your aren't kidding about the fumes . On a really hot day you can still get a hint of the fumes, but they disapated pretty quickly.

TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:19 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Woo Hoo! Got the call that the flooring is finally "in" at Home Depot. Hope to go pick it up tonight.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:23 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander
Woo Hoo! Got the call that the flooring is finally "in" at Home Depot. Hope to go pick it up tonight.
I ordered (3) boxes of the teak version on 6/2... they told me 3-4 weeks. Keep you fingers crossed.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:08 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Steve, is this for the new GT? And since the discussion has been around both the vinyl "planking" and the more traditional laminate floor, I'm wondering which one you're getting?

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Eureka , California
Just finished my flooring...these posts inspired me

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f461/new-armstrong-floor-just-needs-moulding-42373.html

My first task with my new old as...Took out 30 year old carpeting , made some strange cuts, and since the toilet was wedged with some wooden spoons, I took those out and put the flooring under the toilet at the edges. I could not figure out how to take the toilet out.
Now to find some nice moulding.
Someone recommended flextrim, has anyone tried it?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
Steve, is this for the new GT? And since the discussion has been around both the vinyl "planking" and the more traditional laminate floor, I'm wondering which one you're getting?

-Marcus
I ordered the Allure vinyl plank in teak... and yes it is for the GT. I need to get it set to go for an August 1st rally per the agreement I made with my wife.

I've made LOTS of progress so far, but still many things to do.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:41 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
I ordered the Allure vinyl plank in teak... and yes it is for the GT. I need to get it set to go for an August 1st rally per the agreement I made with my wife.

I've made LOTS of progress so far, but still many things to do.
Really, you've made lots of progress? Because from reading your blog, all I can tell is that you've got some questions about curtains. Perhaps I just missed your detailed thread on the restoration somewhere here on the Forums????

(Just kidding of course, but you know how much we all love to follow resto/reno threads-- especially people who don't yet have their own Airstreams to work on!) '

Anyway, back on topic-- I didn't know they had teak, but I've never checked into special ordering. My HD has three in stock-- a light oak, and a couple of darker ones (maybe a hickory and something else?). I was really looking for a really light maple, but the light oak is pretty close to the color I'm hoping for and would probably work just fine.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
Really, you've made lots of progress? Because from reading your blog, all I can tell is that you've got some questions about curtains. Perhaps I just missed your detailed thread on the restoration somewhere here on the Forums????
I prefer to spend my time actually purchasing and working on my trailers rather than posting and bloging.

When you actually get your trailer...you'll see what I mean.

To be honest, I created my blog because I knew if I didn't, I would have absolutely no record of my efforts.

As far as the teak... even though it was shown in the HD display, Ginger had a difficult time proving it existed. I sure hope I don't hear differently down the road. I think it will provide some nice contrast to my pickled oak cabinetry.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by magna1111
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f461/new-armstrong-floor-just-needs-moulding-42373.html

My first task with my new old as...Took out 30 year old carpeting , made some strange cuts, and since the toilet was wedged with some wooden spoons, I took those out and put the flooring under the toilet at the edges. I could not figure out how to take the toilet out.
Now to find some nice moulding.
Someone recommended flextrim, has anyone tried it?
I used the quarter round that matched the laminate floor. Long pieces bend but I would not say very flexible. Will contour easily to not perfectly staight runs.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #67
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Question on Allure/Konecto installation

Hi - we're also looking at ripping out the carpet on Our Gussy - the installation instructions for the floating vinyl flooring require that the floor, once down, should be rolled with a 100 lb roller! This is to ensure total adhesion of the "glue" strips.

Don't think a 100 lb roller will fit in the 22' trailer - what have others done to "roll out" the new floor??
Old 06-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight
Hi - we're also looking at ripping out the carpet on Our Gussy - the installation instructions for the floating vinyl flooring require that the floor, once down, should be rolled with a 100 lb roller! This is to ensure total adhesion of the "glue" strips.

Don't think a 100 lb roller will fit in the 22' trailer - what have others done to "roll out" the new floor??
I weigh over 100 lbs. If you pay for my flight to Hawaii, I'll gladly walk on the seams for you.

Steve-- yeah, I know, rub it in some more that I don't have a trailer yet...

-Marcus
Old 06-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #69
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Quote:
If you pay for my flight to Hawaii
Hey Marcus - thanks for the offer

We really don't physically live in Hawaii - just love the rainbow on the plate & the Aloha spirit!

I think the body thing would work IF the 100 lbs could be "concentrated" over a very small area . . . .
Old 06-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight View Post
Hey Marcus - thanks for the offer

We really don't physically live in Hawaii - just love the rainbow on the plate & the Aloha spirit!

I think the body thing would work IF the 100 lbs could be "concentrated" over a very small area . . . .
My guess is that you could also accomplish what is needed with a rubber mallet by just pounding along the seams. Or maybe you just need to put on roller skates and roll up and down the seams.

Malcolm