Old 05-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Laminate Flooring

Did you put down an underlayment or put it directly on the plywood floor?
I used an underlayment in my installation.

Did you put it lengthwise or crosswise? We are thinking crosswise.
Lengthwise

Did you install breaks (thresholds) between the various areas of the trailer (e.g. between the bedroom and bath or kichen, etc.) to add more expansion joints? Or did you just install it end to end with no additional joints?
I used one threshold at the bathroom door.

For those that installed it in the bath, did you remove the toilet and install it under, effectively fixing it at that point (i.e. it cannot "float" at that point), or did you trim it around the toilet? If the former, how does one reseal the toilet thru and additional thickness of flooring? If the latter, how did you cover the gap around the toilet base?
I installed it around the toilet

Likewise, did you do anything under the front goucho and side fold up tables to allow the floor to "float" in these areas? I am thinking I can cut a clearance hole thru the flooring and use some spacers to keep these items from being bolted tightly thru the flooring, if necessary.
I allowed it to float in both cases.

For those that have had it installed for a season or two, how long have you had it and have there been any issues like buckling or gapping due to temperature changes or frame flex?
I have had mine for two years and it looks the same today as it did when I finished the installation.

As for color choice, did you go with a lighter or darker color and why? The one we like best is darker, but most allure or laminate photo's on the forum seem to be of lighter colors. We are concerned if choosing dark will make the trailer seem dimmer at night when there is no natural light coming thru the windows.
I used the lighter shade for the same reasons that you are concerned about.

It has been a great improvement and we love it to this day.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Wow, I can't reply to each of you individually, but Thanks! You are confirming that this is the right choice (as soon as we agree on a color). You have also confirmed my clearance hole theory for anything bolted down.

It is interesting to note that most seem to have installed the planks lengthwise, but when I asked my better half, she immediately sugggested crosswise. And since it seems that cutting the ends off planks would be easier than cutting them lenghtwise, that seemed like the answer. Maybe we'll have to lay a few planks out each way before the official installation begins and confirm our choice. I've seen photos installed both ways and to me it looks fine either way, so it may come down to ease of installation.

The undercut was idea is interesting. I had never thought of that. I had planned to just put down some molding to cover the edge gaps, and maybe will still do that, but you've got me thinking.

I am not sure what a toilet closet flange is, so I guess I am going to have to read up on that. So far I've dealt with most systems in the trailer but I have never had to remove the toilet or otherwise work on it, so that will be a new learning experience.

Thanks again, all!

WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Joe,
The toilet flange is the ABS plastic or metal fixture that is screwed fast to the sub-floor and the toliet attaches / bolts to the flange. In my '86 luckily the flange was threaded into the black tank and not glued. So all I had to do was unscrew the flange and cut the "donut" out of the flooring material to raise the flange to the requires height so the toilet sits on the flooring.

It was easier and looks better than leaving the toilet attached and trying to scribe the planks to fit around the toilet. Plus I probably don't have to tell you how close the quarters are in the bathroom. Having the toilet removed gave me plenty of room to work.

Keep us posted and post some pictures of your progress.

PS I may end up ripping the carpet out of our '06 and doing the same thing. I think the laminate looks nice and it is SOOOOOOO much easier to take care of and clean.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Joe,

Rhonda and I have been looking at the vinyl plank also for our '74. I recently had to R&R a 2' x 4' section inside the door. In the process I ripped the carpet and put down an oil base primer on the plywood. WIth 3 kids and 2 dogs carpet is the worst thing for us. I will be installing the traffic master vinyl plank probably this Sunday (I have to work on the '56 Saturday). I will let you know how it goes.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Carl (I assume) & Dave,
Thanks. Lorrie and I went to Home Depot this evening and inquired about availability of one of the special order Allure types. They are going to check tomorrow during business hours and call back to let us know. They said demand has been high for Allure, so there is a risk that it could be on back order. If it is not on back order, we may place the order tomorrow. Our hope is to install over Memorial Day weekend, and I'd like to rip out the carpet ahead of time, but won't do so until I have the new flooring on hand. Should there be a delay in availability we don't want to have to camp on the bare plywood.

I'll be sure to take photo's. I'll try to get some before, during, and after installation.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 05-08-2008, 07:13 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by drag'nwagon
Joe,

Rhonda and I have been looking at the vinyl plank also for our '74. I recently had to R&R a 2' x 4' section inside the door. In the process I ripped the carpet and put down an oil base primer on the plywood. WIth 3 kids and 2 dogs carpet is the worst thing for us. I will be installing the traffic master vinyl plank probably this Sunday (I have to work on the '56 Saturday). I will let you know how it goes.
Yeah, that having TWO vintage Airstreams is a real pain isn't it...

66-- which color/pattern are you looking to order? I've been looking at this product for a couple of different potential projects, and our local HD stocks three colors in the wood grain (and a couple of faux tile I believe). The three colors are a light oak, a dark hickory, and one other, forget what it is. The light oak would work okay for what I'd like to do, but if they had an even lighter maple that would be perfect. I've never checked to see if they could special-order anything though.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
utee94

Having two vintage units is great!! Working on two simultaniously,... not so great!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Well, we ain't lookin' anymore. There is no back order, so we went ahead and ordered a style called "Red River" this evening. Not sure what to actually call it. It's not a wood grain product. We think it looks more like brown leather and will have a classy appearance. We certainly don't need to worry about matching or mismatching the wood grain or color with this choice. Home Depot said it should be "in" in about 7 to 10 days.

If you want to see the choices, go to the Home Depot Web Site. They have about 27 choices of Allure vinyl planks. 4 of the 27 are 12" x 36" "planks" that look like slate tiles. The rest are 6" x 36" mostly wood planks, but they have a cork style and a couple of "mystery" materials like Red River. I will caution you that the photo's on the web site may not be exactly right color wise and for some of the special order types the molded texture does not match the color pattern as well as the "in stock" types. For Red River, the color does not look quite right on the web site compared to the samples we saw in person, although the texture is fine.

Go to your local Home Depot and look at their samples. Where we ordered ours, they have the special order Allure types mixed in with the other flooring types in those big swinging displays. These displays have at least 6" x 12" pieces of each type to look at. This Home Depot also had sample boards that could be checked out and taken to the trailer. The pieces on the sample boards range from 6" x 6" to 12" x 12" with about three types per sample board. We checked out every sample board and took them to the trailer to narrow down the choices. The only issue for us was that this Home Depot did not have sample boards for their "in stock" types, so we even bought cases of those to take to the trailer (and which were later returned). That whole process was critical for us to pick the right one. It probably would have been much easier of they only had the few "in stock" choices, but we never would have ended up with Red River if we hand't taken it to the trailer.

I will note that during the selection process we were in a different Home Depot, and they didn't have the large swinging displays or sample boards for their special order Allure types. All they had was a key chain that had little 2" x 2" pieces of the various types - really too small to make a decision. So shop around and find a Home Depot with the good displays and sample boards you can check out.

P.S. The special order types do cost a little more, $1.99 per square foot vs. $1.69 per square foot for the "in stock" wood planks. For the amount of flooring needed for a trailer, this difference is negligable. The "in stock" and special order tile styles are a little more per square foot.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 05-09-2008, 11:14 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
I bought 5 boxes of the Hickory tonight for the '74. I finished ripping out the rest of the carpet and pulling staples, sanding high spots, setting screws, grinding screw heads flush , and painting the floor (oil based kilz), all to get ready for the install on Sunday.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #24
LookingThroughALens

1976 Argosy 24
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander
Well, we ain't lookin' anymore. There is no back order, so we went ahead and ordered a style called "Red River" this evening. Not sure what to actually call it. It's not a wood grain product. We think it looks more like brown leather and will have a classy appearance. We certainly don't need to worry about matching or mismatching the wood grain or color with this choice. Home Depot said it should be "in" in about 7 to 10 days.
Please post photos of your installation when complete. We are trying to find something for our kitchen and think the allure flooring is the best way to go for the high traffic room. We checked out the "red river" board and it is the same color as the existing low pile carpet and works well in the room. My concern is what it will look like in a larger area than on the 12 X 12 board. They did not have any of the tile look versions on a check out board but we can't decide if we want the tile look or not.

Thanks.
Anne
Old 05-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aturner4u
Please post photos of your installation when complete. We are trying to find something for our kitchen and think the allure flooring is the best way to go for the high traffic room. We checked out the "red river" board and it is the same color as the existing low pile carpet and works well in the room. My concern is what it will look like in a larger area than on the 12 X 12 board. They did not have any of the tile look versions on a check out board but we can't decide if we want the tile look or not.

Thanks.
Anne
Pictures will be posted , as well as any issues short cuts that we find.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by aturner4u

Thanks.
Anne
Will do, but don't expect to see anything before the end of the month.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 05-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Ripped up the carpeting over the weekend. The prep work of removing the toilet, cutting out the carpeting (can't really rip it out) and removing the fairly easy furniture is probably harder than installing the floor. I thought I'd leave the front goucho in because I wasn't sure of the difficulty in removing it, especially with the battery disconnect being an integral part of the goucho. After removing the underneath storage drawer and noticing that the factory hadn't installed all the hold down bolts, it wasn't too hard to remove. The battery disconnect was very easy to temporarily remove without actually having to disconnect any wiring.

I hitched up and brought her down the block to Patty's (the neighborhood handywoman) and by mid morning the next day she was 80% complete and the job was going great - according to a report from my wife. I was very surprised the install was going so fast. On my way home I passed Patty's house and decided to stop for a look see. As soon as I passed the open door it became clear why the progress was so quick. Look at any of my posts on this subject and I always tout installing lengthwise. Patty did my '89 lengthwise and I guess we never discussed the direction of this install. Did I tell you how great it looks. I told Patty I was very pleased with the work she was doing. It really does look good and the plywood underlayment would still be better than carpeting.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:29 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Salem , Virginia
I installed a floating cork floor in ours two months ago. I debated long and hard on the length-wise vs cross-wise issue, and settled on cross-wise. The cork planks are wide (12''), so it was not an issue of how the final product looked as much as it was ease of installation. It is/was definitely easier to cut the ends off the planks than to rip them lengthwise.

I also did not use an undercut saw, but I worked hard at getting the carpet out from under the cabinets etc so I could tuck the ends of the planks under them. The biggest surprise I encountered was that the interior walls were not entirely square, so sometimes a square end did not go completely under the wall.....