Old 04-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #141
AluminumGirl

1976 29' Ambassador
Malibu , California
Floor prep, underlay and Oak Allure

Here are a few pics of my floor project. The rotten corner was replaced, underlay was placed and then the Allure. Sounds simple enough! Special thanks to Cream Puff and the Airstream Forum gang!
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2010, 03:42 AM   #142
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
YYC , Alberta
Chalk up another Allure customer.

We have the original (and still in great shape if you can believe it) blue carpet in there.

After deliberation, the wife picked out Yukon Oak for our Arogsy We bought a box (with the preview cutout on the box to see the color) to see if we liked the color in the trailer.

We do...with 2 dogs it needed to be a little lighter to hide some scratches, but not too light (there is a lighter color available). Didn't want to make the trailer much darker, so this was a perfect color shade for us.

Thinking of getting the red/white underlay too at HD.

First things first, have to pull up the old carpet, and see what lays underneath as far as flooring issues. The few parts we've peeked under, looks ok. Looking at the front fresh tank (we wouldn't do vinyl up there) looks ok, so we hope that ok condition continues through the rest of the trailer...I'll cross our fingers when the carpet gets ripped up.

The suggestions of wood epoxy is a good idea (Is there something quality that can be bought at home depot?) around the edges of trailer to help the wood in case there are any leaks (nothing major from my inspection the past 2 weeks since we've gotten it) and maybe special attention paid to the door area where there will be the most chance of moisture coming in.

Also, the idea of a quality external "oops" paint to help seal and protect the floor is a good idea too, after cleaning and sanding any issue areas, of course.

Any other tips before we get to ripping out the carpet, we're all ears.

FWIW, and fairly rough calculations we made this evening, our 1979 27', with the rear bath, double bed with vanity, has between 85-90 sq ft of carpet space currently...not including carpet thats behind/inside closets...so that's 1 roll of underlay (still undecided on getting that or not) and hopefully just need 4 (likely get 5) boxes of the flooring...and then find some properly colored quarter round trim.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #143

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrownah View Post
Chalk up another Allure customer.... hopefully just need 4 (likely get 5) boxes of the flooring...and then find some properly colored quarter round trim.
It seems I needed 5- 6 boxes to do my 29' Ambassador but I'm gettin old and forgetful

I can recommend running it cross way instead of lengthwise - less gaps opening as the temp changes and it goes MUCH faster. You do have to pay attention to keep the planks at 90 degrees to the centerline...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #144
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
YYC , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
It seems I needed 5- 6 boxes to do my 29' Ambassador but I'm gettin old and forgetful

I can recommend running it cross way instead of lengthwise - less gaps opening as the temp changes and it goes MUCH faster. You do have to pay attention to keep the planks at 90 degrees to the centerline...
Ok thanks.

Looking to start this tonight, with the ripping up of the old stuff and removal of the foam underlay and the carpet tacking/nails.

In regards to that foam underlay,was that standard? Seeing that, and a bunch of nails and other debris under the portion I lifted up makes me think maybe this was replacement carpet at some point.

That, and putting down a coating of something on the flooring, assuming the wood underneath doesn't have any specific spots that need extra attention, such as extensive sanding or filling.

All the ideas I've read on here are good...porch paint, cheap "oops" exterior paint, or maybe luan..but probably some sort of paint.

Guess I have to decide here quickly though, as would like to get that on tonight too to dry, so that in a couple days we can go about putting the underlay (red and white stuff from Home Depot) and starting to lay flooring down.

Any last minute tips on carpet removal or coatings?
Old 05-11-2010, 02:58 AM   #145
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
YYC , Alberta
Original carpet is up, except for the small peices under some of the cabinets.

A lot of filings and longish nails under the carpet, in addition to the foam underlay and carpet tacking. I assume thats from the manufacturing process when this trailer was assembled in June 1978.

Good news! Floor is in very good shape. No issues at the door, or by the fridge, or anywhere else where carpet was, that would indicate leaky walls or any sort of major water issues.

A small leak at some point under the table at the front, which is either a small leak in the window, but more likely, a cut in the (current, or former) fresh water line which runs along that side, is to blame.

Bathroom was the last that we did...hesitant for sure, given all the horror stories. Pulled up the carpet, and saw some wetness, right in front of the closet. Now we've had some rain in past couple weeks, not a lot, and not for a few days. Attached picture.

Now, we first thought it was coming from the closet, because in that closet is the battery tray, and we have an issue with a modified battery door that doesn't fit flush. However, the carpet on the floor of the closet is not wet at all, and, from that picture, the carpet tacking in front of the closet is wet, but the 1 inche between it and the closet is bone dry. The toilet gas pipe is also there, but its not leaking from the top there, as the shelving isn't wet either as if it was coming down from the top.

So where else could this be coming from? Ceiling looks ok, not thinking something directly is coming from there. The bathroom fan is almost right above this, so maybe there?

However, my initial theory after thinking about it more, is that something is running down from the top somewhere, down the bathroom door (its usually closed/closer to where water is), and collecting at the base of the bathroom door.

So that's something to look at. Otherwise the bathroom looks great...the carpet was soon pulled off the toliet box...looks brand new, so no issues there. The carpet on the sidewalls in front of the sink and the front of the shower are stapled onto plastic wood of all things. Makes no sense...we'lll likely keep the wood as it looks good.

Didn't get to put any plywood treating down, and still have to pull some underlay staples that stick out further than most, but very happy with the unknown under carpet of a 31 year old trailer as the first step.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wood.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	102288  
Old 05-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #146
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Is the underlay really a good idea?

I have read several post lately that are talking about putting down a foam underlay under the Allure Traffic Mater vinyl strip flooring. I would have thought that type of underlay was more intended for laminate flooring products. I installed some of the thicker commercial grade strip flooring in part of our basement a while back and it installed right on top of the concrete floor. I do not remember reading anything in the instructions about using or needing an underlay. I would not hesitate to install it directly on the wood sub-floor of an Airstream without any underlay. If you are indeed installing the flexible vinyl strip flooring type of product I suggest saving the time and money and leaving out the underlay. Of course check the directions and talk to the sales people first if you like.

Malcolm
Old 05-12-2010, 12:55 AM   #147
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
YYC , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium View Post
I have read several post lately that are talking about putting down a foam underlay under the Allure Traffic Mater vinyl strip flooring. I would have thought that type of underlay was more intended for laminate flooring products. I installed some of the thicker commercial grade strip flooring in part of our basement a while back and it installed right on top of the concrete floor. I do not remember reading anything in the instructions about using or needing an underlay. I would not hesitate to install it directly on the wood sub-floor of an Airstream without any underlay. If you are indeed installing the flexible vinyl strip flooring type of product I suggest saving the time and money and leaving out the underlay. Of course check the directions and talk to the sales people first if you like.

Malcolm
I don't think underlay is "needed", but the padding, as was under the carpet, would be nice.

Also, putting something down under the carpet takes away the chance of some of the imperfections (mainly staples from the previous underlay) of the floor popping up though the thin lino.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:48 AM   #148
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
My concern would be that the underlayment might allow the flooring to flex more than it should which could lead to premature wear. Otherwise I agree that it might be nice if ones budget permits. If cost is an issue I would think that it would be possible to carefully prep the floor by removing such things as staples and maybe doing a little fill work here and there before laying down the floor.

Malcolm
Old 05-14-2010, 05:16 AM   #149
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
My concern would be that the underlayment might allow the flooring to flex more than it should which could lead to premature wear. Otherwise I agree that it might be nice if ones budget permits. If cost is an issue I would think that it would be possible to carefully prep the floor by removing such things as staples and maybe doing a little fill work here and there before laying down the floor.

Malcolm
Each can decide for themselves, but we put down the underlayment under Allure two years ago against all recommendations (don't use Allure in a trailer, don't put underlayment under it). We have not regretted the decision. The underlayment makes it nicer to walk on in bare feet.

I will state that we have had no real issues related to the underlayment decision although putting a heavy chair or other object in one place for an extended time compresses the underlayment and thus can leave a visible indentation. We try to avoid this by using a thick throw rug and those little dish like things to spread the chair weight out and have prevented any permanent indentations.

The biggest "issue" we have is the opening up of gaps, which it mostly due to thermal contraction in cold weather that does not completely reverse when it warms up. One gap in the doorway between the kitchen and bath (the narrowest part of the floor) is approaching a 1/4" wide and does not ever close all the way. I am thinking of putting a small threshold piece to cover that gap since there is no way to close it back up. I doubt the gaps have anything to do with use of the underlayment.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:29 AM   #150
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
YYC , Alberta
Well, after buying some "oops" exterior paint for $9 at Home Depot, and the wife painting the floor (and pulling up the rest of the previous padding staples), we set out today to put our flooring in.

The spot in the bathroom had dried a couple days after the carpet was up, although it had to be around a week since the last major water would've gotten in...so that's a post for another thread, but at least with no carpet it was able to dry.

So the wife ended up doing most of the work...we did decide NOT to do underlay, simply for the lack of real need to, time saving, easier installation, and some cost saving (in that order of importance). With all the staples up, surface was really smooth.

So, took about 5h of work. We went lengthways. Although its harder, we just liked the looks of it better with this type of vinyl and the grain in it.
We cut off at the bathroom, likely to do some sort of vinyl tile-looking in there (plus sqaure tiles are easier to work with than longer rectangular planks) for a different look.

Doing it lengthwise means a lot of little cuts and cutting planks in half lengthwise to fit in gap in front of fridge, or rear double etc, and that probably took half our time today...but again, worth it for the look.

We used 3 boxes + 3 or 4 planks from box #4. Less than we thought for sure. We just did what is visable...in front of gauchos, not in any cupboards, as the space is tight and carpet was hard to get out (I think its only the cabinets besides the fridge and the cabinet next to the table.

We did do under the table, and under the kitchen sink and a half peice under the furnace cover, as there was carpet there too.

Looks really nice, happy with the way it turned out, and the little time it took, and other then a few little seams install went good.

Again, its the Allure TrafficMaster, the color is Yukon Oak. Brightens up trailer from the blue carpet, without being too pale and also matches up nicely with the factory cabinet colors...and with 2 dogs, carpet wasn't a good option.

Not sure if we're going to put any quarter round trim...carpet of course didn't have any trim, and there aren't a lot of spots it would work, so we'll see.

So here are pics...thanks to all on the forum...this thread gave us the info needed to tackle something we thought was going to be a more time consuming and costly process then it turned out, when we first got the trailer a month ago and knew the carpet had to go!!

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10 04 22_1564.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	102594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5576.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	102595  

Name:	IMG_5561.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	102596   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5574.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	102597  

Old 05-17-2010, 07:38 PM   #151

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
WOW, looks great!
Time to go campin' and get it dirty...

We found it's real easy to clean with a rechargeable swifter vac. We keep it plugged in and stowed behing the sofa...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:25 AM   #152
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
YYC , Alberta
Update: So far so good. Nothing noticeable after a couple months as far as ugly gaps or curling or anything. That said, not on my hands and knees either looking for that, trying to enjoy the time in there!
We'll see what the Canadian winter brings in a few months, and see what its like come next spring.
But really happy with it...very easy to clean the pet hair with a broom, and easy to clean those stick messes when the 13 month old decides to dump her food on the floor.
Highly recommended.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #153
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
YYC... That's Calgary, IIRC? Yes, I will be very interesting to her how it survives the winter.

I had intended to do that flooring to ours this summer, but when my DW heard that I was going to remove all the cabinets and then put them back in over the new flooring, she lost some enthusiasm. Yeah, a lot more work, but with it to me.

So, in any event, we are now living in Ottawa, which I'm guessing will have similar winters to Calgary. Will be v-e-r-y interested to hear how it all works out for you.

It sure looks gorgeous, though!
Old 08-30-2010, 06:15 AM   #154
3 Rivet Member

Columbia , South Carolina
J-roller

I used a J-roller on the seams,ran it from side to side and let it float. It's a recent install so it hasn't been subjected to temperature swings yet.

Quote:
Now that I think about it I bet the perfect seam tool would be the type of roller that is used for formica type laminate. The following Harbor Freight page shows what I mean. It is called a J-Roller.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

When I thought a bit about a 100 lb vinyl flooring roller I suddenly realized that the 100lbs is pretty well spread out over a fairly large area of the floor. Lets say for sake of discussion that the roller is about 24" wide. That means that only about 1/24th of the 100lbs is applied for each inch of the width of the roller. So 100 divided by 24 works out to only about 4lbs of force per inch of roller width. You could easly apply that much force to a seam using a J-Roller. The roller is hard rubber too so ther is virtually no chance of damaging the flooring. J-Rollers are also readily available at the big box stores too. I think that the one I have I bought at Lowes for a kitchen counter project I was working on a while back.

Malcolm