Old 09-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Advice please 5/16 engineered hardwood flooring

I have laid out the 5/16 floor to see what it will look like. This is not a laminate floor but a glue in hardwood. I was looking at the layers of the wood and came to the conclusion this floor could have some possible problems in the future. 1st This floor will be glued down not floated. 2nd I was wondering if putting on another coat of poly would give it extra protection if I spring a leak?

Has anybody put the 5/16 engineered hardwood in their airstreams? My other trailer has a floated laminate and it has looked great for 4 years. I was wondering how it will handle the travel over long distances?

Well it does not matter because it is going in anyway.

Brian & Adrienne
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member
2004 28' Safari S/O
Zavalla , Texas Airstream Harbor
I put the same floor in my old 71 Tradewind and it was one of the best things I did to it. Sure made the entire interior just "pop". You'll love it. Never a problem with water/moisture as it had "glue" between the joints tongue and groove. The difference in weight between laminate and engineered hardwood was only 60 lbs. Go for it.

Rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I did not put it in. But I bought a trailer that the PO had a commercial installation of the 5/16 laminated hardwood. Glued down. quarter round on the edges. It is beautiful and has held up for more than 10 years. When I did our other trailer I used a laminated floor. The wooden one is so much nicer. But I did not want to do the glue down. The wooden floor is just a bit harder to clean and take care of, because of the grooves between the planks. But that is also what makes it look so nice. Not that boring flatness of the laminate.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
I have engineered heart pine...not glued. I would not recommend gluing to the subfloor. Glue the tongues if you must, toe nail the boards in. If you ever decide to change the flooring you will destroy the subfloor getting the engineered flooring out (if it is glued) and have quite a project on your hands.
Good luck!
1982 34' Limited
2000 Excursion V10 4x4
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I used laminated flooring but would offer these comments. I second the idea of not gluing the flooring down. I would also suggest removing the dinette, coach, and side cabinets and installing the floor continuously under them. Removing them will take less than an hour with a battery powered drill and will make installation 10 times easier. It will also remove the 1/4 round look at the base of the cabinets. When reinstalling the cabinets you can drill a clearance hole through the floor for each screw and allow the floor to float.
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Thanks guys!

We started gluing it in and it looks great. I put a rubber type of floor in the bathroom, under the twin beds and the sink. I put the galley in and decided to lay the engineered floor around it. I already made the challenging cuts and everything is going in fine. The galley will be screwed into the wood floor and I will have trim on the floor around everything else. The trim will stapled in. My son came over and he and his friend having taken over the job.

Brian & Adrienne
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote