Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2007, 07:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

acton
63 tradewind original tile floor, does it contain asbestos???

Ive been ripping out the old tile to replace the floor and it dawned on me whether or not these tiles had asbestos. Im hoping it doesn't.
Any idea???
durans54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
If they are the same grey/white speckled, industrial grade, ones I had in the GT they most likely are.
Also, if like the ones I had, they are probably coming off by themselves.
Obviously, to be on the safe side, make sure to use a well fitting dust mask when you take them off and put them in a heavy duty contractor trash bag.
If you have to scrape any remaining bits off the floor I believe they suggest that you moisten down the surface to prevent dust from spreading. Mine popped right off just leaving some old adhesive.
Some states have a disposal policy requiring bureaucratic interference. I won't tell if you won't.

Good luck,
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello durans 54

I believe they are asbestos and you better wear a respirator like the they
have for painting cars ,never take any chances with asbestos at any time .
ripping it up isn't as much a problem as sanding or grinding it to remove .
The tiles in my tradewind are that tan mixed looking ones and I removed only the necessary ones to do the floor repairs .i had an area by the door and
jalousy windows that needed replacement,due to water damage .most of the
original tiles are still in place ,and pose no problems .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
My understanding is that the 9 inch square tiles (the originals) do contain asbestos. If they are 12 inch square, I believe they are asbestos free.

How are you removing the tiles from the floor? I spent an hour chiseling out a 2x2 foot area near the door on my '59 Tradewind. I'm still removing the last of the interior, but soon will want to tear out all my (asbestos rich) tiles.

Mark
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
We have a 63 GT - and they are the asbestos tiles. Most of ours just came off with a paint scraper carefully slid under the tiles - what did not come off I asked here earlier but no-one offered up any answers -

Basically this stuff is not to be fooled with and precautions should be taken - serious precautions - DYI'ers can create some serious hazzards without knowing it.

Oregon DEQ Air Quality: Asbestos nonfriable remove

And here seems to be a great site for a visual reference with many of the VAT's that were used - Asbestos Tile - Asbestos Resource Center

I was able to identify the tile in the 61 Overlander, 63 Globe Trotter and the 69 Globe Trotter. The 69 is still in great shape and unless damaged somehow will last a very long time (and as a responsible pre-owner will provide documentation as a warning to any future removal of the tile to the new owner). The Overlander tiles on the other hand are starting to lift and will need removing. The 63 only has reminents of pieces and their mastic adhesive so I will remove that with a heat gun. Then a big soaking and scrape the rest of the floor by hand keeping it soaking wet.

Good luck and be careful - don't take short cuts - if you make it airborn it can get everywhere inside the trailer.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

acton
Terrific:
I had my kids helping me chisle these things out. They are all out now. Some came out whole others had to be broken out and chisled. I hope I didnt endanger my kids in any way. The adhesive looked like some kid of tar. I didnt think about the asbestos possibility till I was almost done.
Now Im concerned and not too happy about my lack of foresight.
durans54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Yes it is a shame...it is not just these old trailers - these tiles and many other products were made for a lot of different applications.

Governments did a big push at one time - back in the 80's and early 90's but not too much hype lately - so people forget and caution levels drop.

I suppose we would have done the same thing if we were not so active here at the forums and try and read as much as we can. But it does pay to do further research and make your own determinations of the various risks. Associated with antiques/vintage items and products or materials used back in those days.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote