Old 01-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
nashville , Tennessee
1977 argosy. complete newb. completely overwhelmed.

what ive have...
ok, a few months ago i took the plunge. i probably overpayed (2500) for what i have vs what i have planned. its a rear bed 77 argosy. the man i bought it from said it was a 30 but i have since learned this does not exist and that its a 28?
what i want...
my ultimate dream is to completely renovate the interior as i really am not a fan of the interior panelling and cheap looking wood and appliances that are in there at this point... im very curious if it is possible to have a rain water collection and filtration system installed or if this is a dream of its own. i also would like to go the solar route so it can be fully sustainable without stopping at campgrounds all the time as i plan to someday use this to tour with my band. am i in lala land?
what ive done.
i took out all of the closets and walls and have started removing the ugly vinyl floors as i have noticed some soft spots and some evidence of wildlife. there was a huge hornets nest under the broken down vent cover... ahhh. im assuming the story is not too different underneath as i have killed many spiders and bees before winter rolled around. like a fool i was out of town before the weather was cold and returned to find i had made my first big mistake of neglecting the winterization.
what im afraid of....
can someone tell me the damage and perhaps where to begin with this project. i hate the interior panelling and am quite sure i dont have the know how to do the perfect job repanelling the inside...
have i ruined the water heater and the pipes by letting them freeze? i know that im in over my head but i need some guidance here as i dont want to give up and am not a millionaire. where can i get interior panelling and should contact the pros on this if so nashville tn pros seem to be in hiding because ive tried to locate someone with some knowledge to give me an assesment. to no avail. anyways i want to do as much of it on my own as possible but am very overwhelmed. sorry for the novel. any info helps. ive got bob livingstons rv maintence book and the manual and a few odds and ends in the tool dept. AAAAHHHHHHHH.....

i will post some pics soon.
jru

Old 01-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
How 'bout this for a before and after. If you go to my Blog Entries on the left just below the photo and click on the #5 there's a little more info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old refer cabinet.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	997.9 KB
ID:	119070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Street Side Galley.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	978.7 KB
ID:	119071  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooktop and Sink.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	998.3 KB
ID:	119072   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0353-CR.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	740.3 KB
ID:	119073  

Old 01-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
How cold did things get there?
There is a ton of info here for people who have never tackled a project like you are talking about.
This was my first attempt at redoing the inside of our '74 Argosy 26. If I can do it anyone can. All it takes is patients; time and $$$$$$$$$$$$.
Some are really into it; check this out Contemporizing 1976 Argosy D - opinions please
Old 01-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Welcome

Hello... Argosys are great... In over your head... we all have been at one time or another... We have a 79 30' rear wraparound windows and bedroom... Check out our thread Costalotta start to finish... ...We are going solar next fall...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
If you try to think of everything at once it can be overwhelming. One thing at a time and if you don't get in too much of a hurry (I frequently have to let things stew for a while) it is neat.

I've been stewing on the rainwater collection thing too. My first idea is some sort of fold out, inverse umbrella..
Old 01-10-2011, 05:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Hi Jrusargosy;
Two years ago I have finished what you are about to start. We purchased a 1973 26' Argosy and decided to build it from ground up. Anxious to proceed with work caused us to make a time wise costly mistakes as this was our first project of refurbishing Airstream. So sit down and listen first, as there is a process you need to follow. Do not remove a single piece until you spend a few days sitting in it as is. Arm yourself with a multi sectional composition book. Label each section such as kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. Separate section for wall partitions, cabinetry and appliances. Pretend that you live in it for few days. Pretend to operate things. See what you like and dislike about thing and take notes, notes and notes. Take notes of what and how you would change things inside. It took us two winters to build ours. After while it becomes a true labor of love when you start to see things come together. First winter we have build a new Stainless Steel frame after gutting the trailer and removing the shell. Mistakes we made was lack of taking notes, which has at some point became stumbling blocks. Before you start tearing the cabinetry and walls down start working in the rear. AS you remove each piece it is important to mark each one on the back. Do not discard anything until the project is completed. Note all defects on pieces you remove and make notes. Thing as the walls may not be cut perfectly to fit the curvature of the wall. Mark each panel along the retaining to the wall trim. After the wall panel is removed you can tell where the panel was cut to short. This is important as there are clips that hold each panel inside the trim. If the panel is too short clip becomes useless. Until you have a satisfactory to you plan sit back and take notes before you put tools to work. There are hundreds of issues to be addressed which cannot be done in one post. I recommend that you read "Smokeless Joe" story " Con temporizing Argosy" and my posts on Argosy. This will point you out to things you need to avoid and those to consider. I will be glad to help you out step by step as you go along. However if you are not handy and familiar with tools we can both be in trouble. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Old 01-10-2011, 06:04 AM   #7
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
There was a 30' Argosy in 1977:
77Argosy30
The first two numbers in the VIN will tell you the size of the trailer.

Others have felt over their heads on major projects before, it's not uncommon. You need to evaluate your trailer's condition and then come up with a plan of what you want it to look like when you are done. It took 30+ years for your trailer to get in the condition it is today. It's not going to be done in a few weeks. Divide the project into tasks and then proceed. Don't forget to share your adventure with us.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
nashville , Tennessee
thanks everyone for posting. this makes me feel a little less idiotic and overwhelmed. although i am still just as uneducated. ill post some pics and more detailed condition soon.
this im sure will help other vets out there to evaluate my position and recommend some of the jobs to be done myself or take it to a pro... (which i am very far from) ill get those pics up as soon as i can.
TO BOATDOC; alot of the cabinets and other things i ripped out werent in the best shape anyways and with my ocd nature and the spirit of the project im saying out with the old in with the new. although much of your advice is very helpful ive already thrown a few things away. im holding on to what seems salvageable at this point with hopes of selling it?? again pics to come soon.....
thanks again everyone!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
nashville , Tennessee
DANIEL B....
have you come to any conclusions on this idea? id be very interested to see this in action! please let me know if you have any further information meshing this concept into the argosy dream....
Old 01-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
jrusagosy,
I agree with boatdoc, don't throw anything away. Buy some zippy bags and a marker. Mark everything, throw all the little parts in a box. Never know what ya might need later.
Tim
Old 01-12-2011, 06:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusargosy View Post
thanks everyone for posting. this makes me feel a little less idiotic and overwhelmed. although i am still just as uneducated. ill post some pics and more detailed condition soon.
this im sure will help other vets out there to evaluate my position and recommend some of the jobs to be done myself or take it to a pro... (which i am very far from) ill get those pics up as soon as i can.
TO BOATDOC; alot of the cabinets and other things i ripped out werent in the best shape anyways and with my ocd nature and the spirit of the project im saying out with the old in with the new. although much of your advice is very helpful ive already thrown a few things away. im holding on to what seems salvageable at this point with hopes of selling it?? again pics to come soon.....
thanks again everyone!!!
Hi Jrusargosy;
Someday the mistakes you made by throwing some stuff away will come back to bite you as it happened to me. Taking notes and measurements with sketches of original lay out at this point, will save you many a times as you progress with work. You will need to follow a process which yo must prepare in such undertaking. It is easy to work yourself into a corner. First, sit back at the computer and plow through immense number of posts related to such restoration. Print the ideas you like. Try to make sense out of sequence of tasks and take down notes. You will have hundreds of things overwhelming your thinking process unless you have a orderly plan written down before you. Before going into next step, think it out three times while visualizing the next step you will be coming to.
I consider myself to be a very sharp thinker, but couple of times I have worked myself into a corner and was forced to take down what I have built because it was in my way of next step. It is very important that you analyze each step while taking under consideration overall outcome or reaching for tools. You will come to find out that you must concentrate on the order of things. Do not work on few different things at the same time. Think of what else belongs in the area you working on by visualizing the finished step. There are many ways you can improve the performance of gadgets and to where you want them to be. You have available to you hundreds of different ideas on the Forums if you only care to read and take notes. One of very important issues is the type of wood you choose. Plywood should be preferably Marine Grade or at least glued with exterior glue. Some solid woods have a greater tendency to warp in moist conditions. Chances are you will encounter such. Most important, do not get bold thinking you will not make a mistake. Use the Forums and ask questions and many of us will help to get you on a straight and narrow. Thank, "Boatdoc"
Old 04-25-2015, 10:02 AM   #12
Searching for an argosy

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
I want know if you finished!? I'm about to embark on this very overwhelming journey myself! I'm in way over my head! Please tell me you were able to realize your dream!
Old 04-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #13

1977 Argosy 28
nashville , Tennessee
Same jru different name

I did not finish. I moved overseas for a few years after this post and have sat on my drawings and measurements till now! I'm back at it! Please let me know how your project goes. I'll be looking out...

Tags
argosy, dream, interior, panelling