Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
MyFirstStreamer

1963 26' Overlander
Indiana , Indiana
Question 1/8 or 1/4 or ? ~ Rubber Flooring

I want rubber flooring...like a confetti design...If anyone has installed this stuff I'd love to know which thickness you went with.

I really would like to find it on a roll but so far have not found it at the big box stores. Any ideas? Worst case I could do tiles but really want to hear/see a success story before I go that route. peace, ZSTREAM.
Attached Images

Zstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I looked at similar stuff, I really liked the coin dimple material too. Anything that was high quality and not insanely heavy was very, very expensive so I switched to cork. If it helps a chain fitness store in Canada sells the stuff for home gyms and I'd imagine that would be a good place to start your on roll treasure hunt.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Search for Activa, A division of Pirelli. Commercial grade rubber flooring. Supposedly they have an overstock/remnants assortment. worth a try.
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Is a rubber floor a good idea in a camper...what if the sub-floor gets damp under the rubber.

Common sense tells me it has no chance of ever drying with rubber on top of it.
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I have to chime in here. I am in an office complex. The folks next door opened a cross fit center for some of the Nascar people. They installed a rubber floor great sound deadening but the smell is atrocious.
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Seven Valleys , Pennsylvania
The floor has worked out great for us, 1/8" easy installation, no smell after install, different look, VERY durable, wipes clean. Things to consider, the rubber is kinda cold to the touch (we use rugs in high traffic areas), liquid will run through it if you spill something big...though not fast like a screen!, dont use too much glue as it does push up through the floor when you roll it (easy clean up). We're a year into it & still very happy going with the rubber. When you are looking for it, I bought mine direct from Ecosurfaces because they are local & I could pick up, ask about roll ends. I bough a roll end & it was WAY cheaper then buying the roll. For being recycled (to me USED tires) the stuff is not cheap! http://ecosurfaces.com/
scarylarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Seven Valleys , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
Is a rubber floor a good idea in a camper...what if the sub-floor gets damp under the rubber.

Common sense tells me it has no chance of ever drying with rubber on top of it.

As far as the sub-floor getting wet, the rubber is only 1/8" thick & would let a little water through but if you catch & clean right away I dont think you would have any problems with drying. It certainly does not soak in like carpet & there are only pinholes that go through the rubber...for the most part it is solid, very flexible but solid!
scarylarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
You might want to check out Rubber-Cal - A Comprehensive Source for Sheet Rubber, Rubber Mats, Rubber Flooring also. They are in Southern California. We used them in another project with great success. In fact, when the original order arrived, it was off-gassing that nasty rubber smell. We called rubbercal and they emailed us a shipping label to return the order and sent us a new product. Their staff is really knowledgeable and worked with us to figure out a good solution. This wasn't in a TT application, however a friend put the 1/8" sheet product in his SOB trailer and he loves it.

Good luck!

Colorado Mountains
International Sterling 27FB
2015 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax & Allison
aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote