Old 01-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I was happily reading elsewhere on the amazing web and came across this article and page three might be of interest with regard to shock "absorbers".
Attached Files
File Type: pdf flexride.pdf (723.2 KB, 109 views)

Old 01-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
This is what I was getting at in my previous post.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
OK, for the average occassional use an Airstream gets, is there an average life expectancy for a shock absorber. Obviously, if you see leakage the shock is shot, but how else can you test them?
Old 01-31-2014, 10:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The ones on my 81 still seem to work. When all the oil leaks out they don't work anymore. If you remove one and it still has resistance then most likely it is ok. Usually, the rod rusts and then the seals fail and then no more shock. I have seen older shocks in better shape than ones a few years old. As usual, things made in the last few years are junk.

Perry
Old 01-31-2014, 01:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Shock absorber life

Shock absorbers fail when the shaft gets rusty.

They also fail with use.

The question is how many times has that shock worked.

Was the shock on a wheel that bounced all the time, or on a well balanced wheel?

Generally speaking, torsion axles last about 25 years.

It would be advisable to replace the shocks at that time.

The horizontal shocks that Airstream uses, is probably one of the cheapest repairs and/or replacements that an Airstream owner will ever get involved with.

That same horizontal shock has been used since the 1969 models. Different manufacturer, but the same shock.

Andy

Andy
Old 01-31-2014, 03:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
... Obviously, if you see leakage the shock is shot, but how else can you test them?

Aside from the visible leakage or rust, the only way that comes to mind is to remove the shocks and give each a subjective push-pull test compared to a new shock. Considering the relatively low cost of replacements, if there is any concern it is probably just as easy to replace them rather than put the old ones back on. Are there any general mileage or time recommendations that the mothership recommends?
Old 01-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Cheap oil filled shocks are pretty well done at about 50k. In addition to the failure modes mentioned above, the internal valves and seals wear out.....without external oil leakage many times.

USUALLY, us low mileage ASers will see leakage before they wear out. I had 2 of my originals leaking when I got my Classic...but it had sat for most of 4 years and I'd bet the shafts were pitted from lack of use and oil "wiping".

Note: when testing these particular ones, they do not have much resistance upon compression, but have quite a bit on extension. This is normal for these models. Test only in an upright position to avoid sucking air into the valve chambers.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Been searching the "shocks" topic for a bit, and the one thing I haven't seen anyone mention is tire damage from worn shocks.

I'm getting some pretty severe 'feathering' and 'notching'- chunks of tread missing. Some Google-Fu tells me this can happen when bad shocks don't keep the tire on the pavement, and the constant bouncing will literally take chunks out of the tread.

Is this an occurrence with cars/trucks (where I read the info) only? Or has anybody else seen this on their Airstream?
Old 07-17-2016, 06:47 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
"Pretty much non functional and for looks."

My 2006 Airstream Safari 23 footer was taken to Jackson Center, OH with a list of warranty items that needed, or requested, to be fixed, repaired or replaced. This was in 2008.

Among the list of the above was a leaky shock absorber on the right side of the trailer.

The crew could see that the shock absorber had a leak, as dust would adhere to it. The shock was NOT replaced.

They "are pretty much non functional and for looks".

I never gave it a second thought until after reading this Thread.

I never had any issues with what the shocks did for the trailer, if anything, but after eight years the tire wear was normal and trusted that the mechanics at Jackson Center had an opinion or from experience, that what they told me was correct.

(The current owner of my former 23 foot Safari lives in Colorado and maybe notice this Thread and can look at the shock and comment as to anything new to add.)
Old 07-17-2016, 07:08 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
"pretty much non functional and for looks"
Hmm. Describes my youth.

But, seriously.

And I was hoping this would be an easy fix...
Old 07-17-2016, 10:25 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Wheel balance is first thought. Assembly balance, really. Wheel/ tire plus drum, etc as a single rotating mass.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:27 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Shocks dissipate the energy generated by hitting a bump. Airstream shocks are pretty horizontal and can be tested that way. Shocks operate much the same way frictional dampeners work for sway. They dampen the tendency for wheel hop. They are a good thing, but add expense that cheap trailer manufacturers do not want to pass on to their customers.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:11 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
What kind of tires do you have and what is their age, date of mfg., and mileage on them?

I would doubt that your trailer tires ever leave the pavement while traveling at highway speeds.

During a brief moment of transitioning over small bumps, curbs, rocks etc., a tire may briefly have air under it, but nothing to cause any tire damage IMO.

Yes, trucks and cars with 2 front tires and 2 rear tires might experience some kind of tire damage from severe bouncing, but unlikely, again IMO.

Defective tires seems like the most likely cause. Are all 4 tires having the same problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
Been searching the "shocks" topic for a bit, and the one thing I haven't seen anyone mention is tire damage from worn shocks.

I'm getting some pretty severe 'feathering' and 'notching'- chunks of tread missing. Some Google-Fu tells me this can happen when bad shocks don't keep the tire on the pavement, and the constant bouncing will literally take chunks out of the tread.

Is this an occurrence with cars/trucks (where I read the info) only? Or has anybody else seen this on their Airstream?
Old 07-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #28
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
I would doubt that your trailer tires ever leave the pavement while traveling at highway speeds.

During a brief moment of transitioning over small bumps, curbs, rocks etc., a tire may briefly have air under it, but nothing to cause any tire damage IMO.
The tires don't have to leave the ground with air under them for a tire to loose control or grip on the road surface. All they have to do is unload enough in a moment that the tire looses grip and then full force comes back down.

The job of a shock is to restrict that movement and the restriction only has to be momentarily as a new force will come in the next moment.

>>>>>>>>>>Action