Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
What kind or brand of Shocks?

Getting ready for new axles and have misplaced my notes on Shocks. Don't want to bother Andy or Colin. And yes we know many of you would say they're not needed. However we are going to put them on and are aware of getting them from Auto Zone, Pep Boys, Napa, etc.

Just need to know what to ask for at those stores so I get the correct item and sound a little bit informed.

It's a 65 Tradewind w dual Axles.

Thx

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 22
cranbrook , British Columbia
From what I have been told, its the same shock on all Airstream trailers going back to the sixties and the OEM shock is only available from Airstream. The shocks are $28 each and found them on-line at Airstreamsupply.com , $10 for shipping . They where at our door the same week. If your putting them on yourself, check out YouTube, there's a good video showing the installation.
kootenayken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thx Koot.

I also hear I can just buy regular shocks local in any auto parts store. I was looking for the verbiage of style, model, type to ask for instead of just walking in and saying I need Shocks.

Hittenstiehl
Old 11-11-2015, 09:50 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 22
cranbrook , British Columbia
I started at Napa, when I told them the shocks were for a trailer, they said they needed the load the each shock would carry, the unloaded mounting distance and the loaded travel distance for a start. When I head that OEM seemed the easier way to go and get the right shock for the job.
kootenayken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Nope, the Airstream shocks are designed and metered to work in a near horizontal position. Auto shocks are almost universally mounted vertically and are not as complex internally.

Other opinions may vary but if I was changing shocks, I would use the ones designed for the application.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:11 AM   #6
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
For 1966 Airstreams and older the shock is mounted in a more or less vertical manner. Any good shock that fits will work. I used a NAPA branded shock on my '66 when I owned it. NAPA did not have an application catalog so I brought in the old shock and on my tired axle it did make a difference.

For '67 and later the shock is mounted* more or less horizontally. Because gravity is moving fluid in the shock in a different position the valves have to be different internally. It is a extremely unique shock that is only available at a AS dealer.

*This was done to increase the space inside the coach.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 11-11-2015, 10:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
What kind or brand of Shocks?

I bought the shocks with my new axles, but have not welded on the brackets yet. So the shocks are still sitting on the shelf. I can't really notice a difference, but I'm sure they help.

Also, they work more like damper. They slow down the movement of the Axle in both directions.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks all. Looks like its still a variety of opinions but were getting there. Not sure we'll have in hand (the old ones when we go looking).

Hittenstiehl
Old 11-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Getting ready for new axles and have misplaced my notes on Shocks. Don't want to bother Andy or Colin. And yes we know many of you would say they're not needed. However we are going to put them on and are aware of getting them from Auto Zone, Pep Boys, Napa, etc.

Just need to know what to ask for at those stores so I get the correct item and sound a little bit informed.

It's a 65 Tradewind w dual Axles.

Thx
The correct shocks are "horizontal".

They are only available from an Airstream dealer that sells parts, or if you happen to be at the factory.

Airstream has them specially made by Gabriel, therefore auto parts stores will not have them, unless they get them from Airstream.

Andy.
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks Andy for chiming in. Appreciate your expertise on the matter. Is Gabriel a guy or a company.

How can there be so many varied opinions on this. I know thats just life but it gets a little confusing for us novices.

Options:
Don't need any stinking Shocks

Use only Airstream Shocks

Buy off shelf Shocks

We'll get to the bottom of this soon.

Hittenstiehl
Old 11-11-2015, 11:23 AM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The Original Gabriel Shocks & Struts » Ride the Independent Spirit

Not that they sell the AS shocks other than through Airstream tho'...
Old 11-11-2015, 11:36 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
Missoula , Montana
Andy is CORRECT, I looked every where. This is about the only thing not over priced from air stream.

Also have to bend brackets on axle to install portapower easiest and control bend to exactly what you need about 3/8 of and each. Each axle different as to where bracket welded on.

I put mine on when when bought trailer, have pulled SSC (Silver Senior Center)14,000 miles in two years on Costco's cheapest 8 ply 15 inch radial tires 2/32 of where so far.

And manufactures never add anything you don't need, that's giving away profit.

Randy
Vernbots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Nice write up on the Gabriel company.

Hittenstiehl
Old 11-11-2015, 12:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Nice write up on the Gabriel company.
There are opinions, and then there are facts.

Dexter, has an OPINION that because torsion axles have rubber rods, that you do not need shocks.

I for one disagree. WHY???

Simple PHYSICS.

Yes the rubber rods in torsion axles absorb a lot of the bouncing from roadway bumps. BUT, they do not absorb all of it.

Adding shocks, if you wish, fine tunes the road shock that the torsion axles do not completely eliminate. Even with shocks, are ALL the road shocks eliminated ?? Heck no, but they are reduced to a very acceptable level.

A friend of ours, who repairs Airstreams but is not a dealer, says he cannot tell the difference between shocks and no shocks. But, I dont believe he has ever ridden in the trailer, over the same bumpy road, with and without the shocks.

Again, opinions say no difference. Facts, like you get when you apply Physics, says, IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

The torsion axles, INDEED, eliminate most of the shock, but not all of it, simply because rubber bounces. Adding the shocks, takes over where the rubber rods leave off, and further reduce the road shock that the trailer is subjected to.

On the other hand, why do auto manufacturers put shocks on EVERY motor vehicle ?? Simple answer, is because they reduce the movement of the motor vehicle that is subjected to the road shock. Every so often, a younger generation removes the shocks from a "hot rod". Watch it bounce and bounce, which they love, but it certainly is not comfort giving.

I am very sure that there will always be those that say NO to shocks, but since they had nothing to do with designing an Airstream, then their statements offer nothing more than an "opinion".

The funniest part, is why does Dexter install shock brackets on EVERY axle Airstream purchases from them, both for replacement and new product installation?

Airstream engineers are "not" always correct, BUT they indeed make very few errors, and they certainly would never, ever, continue an error for over 1/2 of a century.

No one, absolutely no one, has ever factually proven Airstream wrong using shocks, and never will !!!! Just my humble opinion, working with them bumping 50 years.

Andy
Old 11-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thank you Andy for the additional input.

Always good to remember on a forum the wide chasm between opinion, fact, fiction, bs etc.

Hittenstiehl
Old 11-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Just to clarify the physics behind the argument for shocks. Shocks are a dampener. That's it. That's all they do. They resist movement in either direction of travel at all times at a constant rate (unless it is a multivalve unit). The springs on a vehicle or a trailer, whether they are metal or in the case of an AS rubber rods, only resist movement in the direction of travel away from the center point. It is a variable rate as well. As the travel gets further from the center it resists more. Basically the spring is storing energy. Once the travel reaches its maximum high or low and begins to return to center the spring releases the stored energy and is still applying force trying to reach center. Unfortunately the spring cannot account for the momentum of the moving parts and over shoots center. Think of a pendulum swinging back and forth until it finally stops. The wheel and tire are the pendulum and gravity is the spring. This creates a cycle of constantly overshooting center and results in vibration, poor tire to road contact, and wear and tear on the trailer itself. Unlike the pendulum example where it finally stops because there is no more energy input, the bumps on the road provide a constant energy input into the system and the vibration only gets worse.

When you introduce a shock into that situation, the shock resists movement when the tire is traveling away from center and also as it is returning to center helping to prevent the tire from overshooting center. In the most basic explanation it dissipates the energy input from the bumpy road and stored in the compressed or stretched spring by converting the energy into heat as the fluid flows through the valve.

The argument against shocks is that the rubber rods naturally dissipate the energy better than a metal spring does. While this is somewhat true it can't dissipate all of the energy or else the spring would never return to center. It still overshoots center. Just not as bad as with a metal spring.

From the tow vehicle you may not notice a ride quality difference with or without shocks. But when it comes to an emergency stop on a bumpy road my bet is on having shocks to dissipate the energy of the bumps and keeping my trailer tires in full contact with the road so they can brake properly and maintain traction.
Cardinal283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal283 View Post
Just to clarify the physics behind the argument for shocks. Shocks are a dampener. That's it. That's all they do. The tow vehicle you may not notice a ride quality difference with or without shocks. But when it comes to an emergency stop on a bumpy road my bet is on having shocks to dissipate the energy of the bumps and keeping my trailer tires in full contact with the road so they can brake properly and maintain traction.

Andy
Old 11-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Alright were almost there.

I very much appreciate all the excellent info but basically still have the question.

If I buy them locally (as many claim you can) what to ask for for a 65 24' double axle.

Andy advises to go with Airstreams, taking note of that based on vast experience, just not sure I still have time for shipping.

Hittenstiehl
Old 11-11-2015, 05:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
We've gone through this before - in my case 9 years ago! - but it doesn't hurt to repeat it.

Having towed my Overlander without shock absorbers, I can assure you that they make a positive difference. Side to side rocking and as sense of floating over bumps and dips disappeared when the new shocks were installed. The trailer wasn't out of control before, but it's much more "buttoned down" now.

I used the Airstream units from Gabriel. They are reasonably priced, and seem to last a good long time.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
So we have some calls out for further opinion on the Shocks. While waiting for replies I spoke to a OEM dealer of the Shocks that was recommended here. Talked to parts and service department.

Service was very informative and although the sell and install them they told me they (Shocks) WERE NOT needed. That led to a whole conversation about "why not" some if which went over my head.

If my new Axles don't have a bracket or plate pre welded on the inner rubber rods in the tubes can actually be damaged from the exposure to the heat from welding. (I'm sure I messed that explanation up a bit)

Just when you think its decided.

Hittenstiehl