Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to Protohyp
Thanks kasten, Are you a 60 mph + type tow or slower? Inspect your running gear before each long trip kinda guy? Or a set it and forget it and hope for the best kinda guy? Thanks for that report

Old 02-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
This has turned into one of those "I'm right and you are wrong" threads. My new axle came with shock mounts attached. I put new "Monroe" shocks on my Bambi II when I swapped out the axle last year because they were recommended by Colin Hyde from whom I ordered my set up. Are they necessary or even needed? I don't know. I do know that compared to the old axle the ride is greatly improved with the new axle and shocks.
I will say this, I think Andy is the most knowledgably and experienced on the subject in this thread. As is usual here lots of opinions and not much more from everyone else, including myself.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Thank is an interesting post.

However, it's for 2 wheeled motorcycles, which I don't really think behave on the road like an Airstream.

An Airstream can hit a bump on one side of the trailer, but for a motorcycle, a bump is a total bump, period.

Andy
Surprisingly the trailing arm suspension geometry of an Airstream with a rubber torsion axle is very similar to the rear swing arm of a motorcycle. Not surprisingly, the basic physics of spring mass damper systems doesn't change based on the type of vehicle.

You pointed out earlier in this thread that everyone is entitled to an opinion, but implied that opinion is only as good as it's foundation.

I think it's fair to mention that I am a professionally registered mechanical engineer. I grew up towing trailers. One of which was the '69 Airstream I now own. I spent a number of years designing race cars and have discussed suspension design and dynamics with Carroll Smith. I used to race motorcycles and still ride a bike with a fully adjustable suspension. I currently work for a company that manufactures commercial aluminum trailers.

I run my Airstream at towing speeds up to about 70 mph. I check/adjust the tire pressure and condition for all 4 before each trip. I am happy with 2 years and several thousand miles without shocks.

My opinion on shocks in a nutshell:
  • If you are concerned about harsher suspension response without shocks, don't be. You won't hurt your trailer.
  • If you would rather not spend the money for new shocks, save it. You won't hurt your trailer.
  • If you are concerned about voiding the warranty on your new axles, don't weld on shock brackets. You won't hurt your trailer.
  • If you believe in the sanctity of original design above all else, run shocks.
  • If you think that your trailer handles better with shocks or it just seems right, run shocks.
  • For everyone else, think, analyze, form your own opinion.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to Protohyp
THanks Kyle...I just spit my drink all over my monitor....great summation.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #33
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
The positions on this topic have been pretty much exhausted. It's time to move on, please.

Lynn
Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
So time to bury the shock?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I was discussing this with the mechanic at inland RV. He said you have to bend back the shock bracket back a bit to get the shock off of it. when the new shock is on the bracket bend/ beat it back into place. My guess is a short heavy duty pry bar would work.