Old 02-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Fenton , Michigan
Shocks- do I need them - which ones?

I am in the process of updating my 27' 78 Argosy and while inspecting my wheels I noticed that I have shocks. How do I know if they need to be replaced?
After reading throught most of the threads I am still somewhat confused as to the question, if I do need new shocks - what type of shocks is best for my Argy and who has the best pricing on them?

John

Old 02-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argy 78
I am in the process of updating my 27' 78 Argosy and while inspecting my wheels I noticed that I have shocks. How do I know if they need to be replaced?
After reading throught most of the threads I am still somewhat confused as to the question, if I do need new shocks - what type of shocks is best for my Argy and who has the best pricing on them?

John
Some people say shocks are not needed.

Airstream engineers say otherwise.

There is no choice as to what shock to use.

Yours is a "horizontal" shock made expressly for Airstream by Gabriel, and is not available from anyone except an Airstream dealer.

A vertical shock will not work.

Andy

Old 02-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
John,

It is my opinion that a shock is the frosting to great cake. Your axles and towing handling charistics would be good with out the shocks. Having the shocks just makes a good ride the best. And the shocks will not compensate for a bad axle(s). Bad axle will still rdie bad with good shocks.

Because of the way valving in shocks works, a vertical shock will not work in a horizontal position. I believe A/S trailers from 1969 and later are horizontal mounting.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Portland , Maine
Why do the Dexter sales rep's I speak with say that shock are not necessary...and that they defeat the purpose of the torsion axle?
Old 02-14-2008, 09:29 PM   #5

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
With a little luck

I plan on posting some ride quality measurements once (if? ) I get my new axles installed ('Epiphany gets new Axles' thread). Part of the goal is to quantify the effects of adding shocks to a torsion suspension.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
A torsion axle has a significant degree of shock absorbing built in, but there is still oscillation. More importantly, in my opinion, shocks control the motions of the trailer while allowing a relatively soft suspension.

My trailer was missing shocks when I bought it (it had new axles). A friend welded on shock brackets and we installed the Gabriel units (reasonably priced, BTW). The shocks cured a side to side rocking and a "floatiness" over bumps and dips like bridge expansion joints. The handling benefits are well worth the money (in my opinion) and the smoother ride is no doubt better for the trailer in the long run.

In any event, no axle is going to be harmed by the use of shock absorbers.

The brackets don't have to be fancy to work. We started with 5/8" bolts and welded them to plates that were welded onto the pivot arms of the axles. The minor bit of heat from a mig welder is not going to damage the rubber rods in the axles.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #7
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
Thanks for your reply. You sound like you know what you are doing building shock mounts. You could put these on any Airstrream trailer and they would be a lot better off.
Shock really do work.
Andy
WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Shocks are one of the items that has me upset with Airstream engineering. The old shocks had split rubber bushings and the new ones do not. Apparently airstream allowed Gabriel to inject a one piece bushing into the shocks which makes mounting very difficult. If you call airstream, they will tell you to get a big bar and bend the spindels on the top which face the frame.

I removed one of my old ones and it was labeled "Delco". My axles are still in good shape and the shocks operate at about 15degrees from horizontal. To make a long story short, the old ones work fine. I left them on!

My "auto shocks" work just fine. Forgot to sit the tv down once last summer and it rode 30 miles just fine.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:10 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Trinity , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argy 78

John
It depends on who you want to beleive. Henschen has the following posted in FAQ section of their web page.

Question--What is unigue about Henschen axle?

Awnser-- F. Reduced ocillation time (self dampening, no shock needed)

I am installing new shocks on my Argosy.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsim
It depends on who you want to beleive. Henschen has the following posted in FAQ section of their web page.

Question--What is unigue about Henschen axle?

Awnser-- F. Reduced ocillation time (self dampening, no shock needed)

I am installing new shocks on my Argosy.
Unfortunately, that statement, is confusing, and should have said (travel trailers excluded).

The GKN Henschen axle web site, is basically designed for commercial vehicles, such as commercial flat beds, agricultural euipment, farm equipment and the like.

The total travel trailer axles supplied by Henschen, is about 1 (one) percent of their production. Their plant only has 140 employees.

I am working on having that confusing statement corrected, since Airstream engineers, do specifiy "shocks".

Andy
Old 02-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
That would make sense as in the difference between hauling hay and hauling my personal stuff.

What the hay!

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action