Old 07-23-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Rivet Shocking Question

Hi Hd, and excella 29 owners.I want to do a shock replacement.Should I do it myself or let a dealer do it.How difficult is it,to change out a tandem 29 footer with new shocks? thanks ,John.

wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu http://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
changing shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog
Hi Hd, and excella 29 owners.I want to do a shock replacement.Should I do it myself or let a dealer do it.How difficult is it,to change out a tandem 29 footer with new shocks? thanks ,John.
I just got done with an axel change. Putting in the shocks with the axel down is easy. some members have bent the mounting plate and changed them out that way.

If you have a smooth cement floor and a couple of floor jacks you can detach the electric brake wires and lower the axel. The change is obvious from there. Put the one set of tandems up on a ramp of 4 2x6 & support the axel with the floor jacks and let it down so you can access the shock bolts. Then just put it back up and bolt it back in (two bolts per side per axel).

If the jacks and place to work are not available read some of the posts on bending the plate. I believe I read that it won't hurt the plate, a lot of members have done that.

One caution: use horizontal shocks! Vertical shocks do not do well in horizontal position. I got the Gabriel Shocks through Andy. I am sure at least a couple of other member/vendors also can supply shocks. I am not sure if there is a comparable Monroe shock, I would be surprised if there is not one; but you may want to check it out. I went with what I know will work well and give a long life.

It was not a tough job. You can build the ramps, see the axel replacement threads. You just lower the axel then replace the shock and put the axel back.

Either method, good luck....not hard but it will take a day once you are set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy (2) of Picture AS Axel 4-07 028 (Small).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	41737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy (2) of Picture AS Axel 4-07 029 (Small).jpg
Views:	96
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	41738  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy (2) of Picture AS Axel 4-07 034 (Small).jpg
Views:	94
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	41739  

Old 07-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Thanks for your help camel, I will do a plate removal, and cut it with torch then reweld the plate, if its do-able.removeing the axels is to much, no concrete floor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Camel
I just got done with an axel change. Putting in the shocks with the axel down is easy. some members have bent the mounting plate and changed them out that way.

If you have a smooth cement floor and a couple of floor jacks you can detach the electric brake wires and lower the axel. The change is obvious from there. Put the one set of tandems up on a ramp of 4 2x6 & support the axel with the floor jacks and let it down so you can access the shock bolts. Then just put it back up and bolt it back in (two bolts per side per axel).

If the jacks and place to work are not available read some of the posts on bending the plate. I believe I read that it won't hurt the plate, a lot of members have done that.

One caution: use horizontal shocks! Vertical shocks do not do well in horizontal position. I got the Gabriel Shocks through Andy. I am sure at least a couple of other member/vendors also can supply shocks. I am not sure if there is a comparable Monroe shock, I would be surprised if there is not one; but you may want to check it out. I went with what I know will work well and give a long life.

It was not a tough job. You can build the ramps, see the axel replacement threads. You just lower the axel then replace the shock and put the axel back.

Either method, good luck....not hard but it will take a day once you are set up.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks for your help camel, I will do a plate removal, and cut it with torch then reweld the plate, if its do-able.removeing the axels is to much, no concrete floor.
With the wheels off, the shocks should take about 15 minutes each.

Total time 1 hour, plus a 6 pack, when your done.

Andy
Old 07-23-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Thumbs up

thanks andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

Andy
Old 07-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Firedog, don't think you'll have to cut the plate. I just ordered new shocks - A/S mechanic said just bend it back out of the way - then tap it back in place with a hammer.

Let us know how it works out for you......
Old 07-23-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
will do. my second cross country trip in february, first time out with excella, last year I did it with Bambi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
Firedog, don't think you'll have to cut the plate. I just ordered new shocks - A/S mechanic said just bend it back out of the way - then tap it back in place with a hammer.

Let us know how it works out for you......
Old 07-24-2007, 04:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
will do. my second cross country trip in february, first time out with excella, last year I did it with Bambi.
If you need to bend the shock brackets to change the shocks, that's ok.

But you don't need to return the brackets to the original position, as no harm will be done.

Andy
Old 07-24-2007, 05:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
But you don't need to return the brackets to the original position, as no harm will be done.

Andy
Shoot - that's even better.....
Old 07-24-2007, 05:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
While draining the water tank, I was checking out the shocks and they were toast; that's a week before the trailer became burnt toast. I couldn't figure out how to remove them (looks simple enough) without bending something or dropping the axles. I had to bring the trailer in for some other minor work so I had them replace the shocks as well. I think the shocks were about $27 a piece and the labor was fairly minimal, maybe an hour. I considered it money well spent - at least at that point. Lucky to have a dealer very close to the house, Profile State Line in Lebanon, Maine, 20 minutes away.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
While draining the water tank, I was checking out the shocks and they were toast; that's a week before the trailer became burnt toast. I couldn't figure out how to remove them (looks simple enough) without bending something or dropping the axles. I had to bring the trailer in for some other minor work so I had them replace the shocks as well. I think the shocks were about $27 a piece and the labor was fairly minimal, maybe an hour. I considered it money well spent - at least at that point. Lucky to have a dealer very close to the house, Profile State Line in Lebanon, Maine, 20 minutes away.
Did that dealer install the Airstream horizontal shocks?

Andy
Old 07-24-2007, 07:00 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Easier than it looks

Quote:

Andy
You guys work a lot faster than I do (but being pros it is to be expected!) Maybe I took so long because I did the 6 pack while doing the axels & shocks or was that a 6 pack per something axel - wheel - shock - combination etc.... something like that?????????. Anyway it got done, thanks for all of the tips. I would never have tried it without the information. I think the shocks are easier than they look, which ever method.

I may end up doing it again....I just saw a 65 single axel the guy wanted $600 for, said it was tow-able...we'll see. I am not even done with the Tradewind, maybe I need a 12 step program! Keep up the good tips, thanks.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Did that dealer install the Airstream horizontal shocks?

Andy
As I was hauling out the last of was could be salvaged tonight, with lantern in hand, found receipt (one of the few things that didn't burn) shocks were 27.95 each and labor was 1.5 hours. I stuck the lantern between the wheels which revealed they were Gabriel shocks. Are these Airstream horizontal shocks? I'm not sure, but I put my confidence in the Airstream dealer doing the maintenance. At this juncture, it's a moot point anyway, although they (the shocks) also didn't burn. Did I mention (sorry as I digress) that a friend loaned me season 1 and 2 DVD's of Rescue Me? They were in an overhead compartment, of course they caught fire.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Arrow Shocking Experience

Well Andy the nuts are rounded off I am trying to get them off now, 5 hours for 1 shock.The top rear one is not off and all rounded and I went out and bought harder nuts,It seems A/S used soft metal and the nut strip out real good.A easier job if A/S used a better nut.Pics coming of my Shocking experience.
Quote:
With the wheels off, the shocks should take about 15 minutes each. using PB Blaster to loosen it.

Andy