Old 02-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
FT RVing
1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Shock Replacement, 76 31ft Sovereign

Whew! This was a challenge. But, thanks to the video posted by Out-OF-Doors Mart posted here (Airstream Shock replacement guide) the job was possible.....but barely!

The Mart's idea of splitting the bushing on the top mount was a life-saver. Also using a good penetrating oil on the nuts a couple of days before attempting their removal is a winner.

Out-Of-Doors Mart also offers self-locking nuts and I recommend you get 8 of them.....I made the mistake of only getting 4, I planned to use one on each of the studs where the nut is on the frame side and hard to get to....and buy 4 more at the local hardware store, for the bottom studs, and use a little loctite. Well, that didn't work.....the threads are "non-standard", so I had to order 4 more nuts from the Mart and shipping made them cost like gold!.......

Also, each shock has 4 washers (16 total), one on both sides of the bushings. They look like regular 1/2 inch washers.....but NOT! The outside washer is a standard 1/2 hole washer...but the inside washer has a 5/8 inch hole! The stud diameter appears to be larger than the thread diameter! You can get the standard 1/2 inch washer locally, but the 5/8 inch hole washer locally purchased has a much larger diameter than the 1/2 inch! will have to drill out the holes of 8 half inch washers so they will be 5/8.... or use the old ones.

Don't give up, you can do it! Bill

When you get a chance to "Dance" or "sit this one out".......I hope you DANCE!
lebolewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Glad to see you got them on,I would probably have just used the old nuts and washers.Was this on a new axle,because unless it has been replaced,you will probably get to do it again real soon.Dave

easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Wow! Lotta work to change a shock, I always loosen the nut holding the shock to the torsion arm shock bracket, leaving the nut on to protect the thread, crowbar between the nut and frame, a little tug and the bracket bends far enough to pull the shock off, replace, wack it with a 3# hammer back in place and done. The fatigue involved may break the bracket, if you have a 1969 and change your shocks every 3 months.
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote