Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2003, 12:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Shock, absorbing question?

I need advice on mounting new shocks on a leaf spring axle. The original shocks were mounted behind the axle, outboard of the frame.
The new shocks won't fit outboard because my new axle and brake plates make the clearance a little tight.
I can easily mount them inside the frame and behind the axle, but the 'axle retrofit' kit I got from Monroe seems to suggest mounting them AHEAD of the axle.
Does anyone have a logical reason wheather they should go forward or behind the axle?
Although the photo doesn't show it, the brake wiring will be OK in either position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shocks 006.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	3835  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 11:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I don't think it matters at all. I've seen Chevy trucks (if I'm remembering correctly) with one mounted forward and the other aft. Other than the fact that it may have been five cents cheaper that way for some odd reason, I don't see why your shock mounting should matter that much.

I'd try to get them as close to vertical as possible, as you'll get more shock travel (and thus effect) that way.

Why don't you look at some other trailers and see what they have for shock mounting. I think the way you have it set up looks fine, though. I'd go with it.

-Don
Old 11-16-2003, 02:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
shocking news!

HA - couldn't resist! The reason for live axle trucks/cars having staggered (one front, one rear) shocks is to help distribute and counteract the torque twist being applied to the axle by the driveshaft. A trailer won't have that problem. While remote, I can imagine that the shock of the wheel, hitting a bump, would tend to push the axle up and slightly back - even though mounted front and rear with the spring, there is some give fore/aft. Perhaps the shock might bind a bit if mounted to the back? If the shock was trailing, I think there would be less torque applied to it, and travel up/down might be smoother.

However, if it was mounted to the rear orginally, how could you go wrong?
Of course, this is just a guess,
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 07:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Shocking

Don and Mark:
Thanks for your help. I'm going to leave them mounted to the rear and try to make them a little more vertical.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 07:52 AM   #5
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
When possible mount shocks as far out board as possible, to the rear of the axle, and verticle. And for springs mount them as far out board as possible. The further out board the less weight that is unsprung. (Only wheels, tires and a small section of the axle will be unsprung.) The shocks will dampen the spring movement so mounting shocks as close to the springs becomes beneficial.

With torsion springs (Ruber rods in a metal tube) shocks becomes less critical. The rubber rods have some shock absorbing features and the spring travel is far less than leaf springs.

>>>>>>>>>Action