Old 03-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
There are some who believe that you don't need shocks on a rubber spring axel. The rubber has a damping effect on its own. Unless they are leaking, I would not mess with them. Some shocks won't work in the horizontal position. Like someone suggested above take them off and see if they still resist being pulled in and out. The original shocks are on my 81 and I have no immediate plans to change them unless I start seeing signs that my trailer is vibrating too much. You might be better off putting some Centramatic balancers on and leave the shocks be.

Torsion axles indeed have their own damping effect.

But, it is not "top of the ladder best".

Adding the correct shocks makes a huge difference.

Dexter say's no, Airstream says yes.

Since Airstream designed their product, I feel that their reasoning is on target and Dexter, is off base.

Yet Dexter still fights with Airstream about the need for shocks. But Airstream insists on them and installs them on most models.

Dexter refuses to sell shock brackets, even though they have drawings for them, which we have.

The proper shocks that Airstream uses are "horizontal shocks". They have been using them since the 1968 models.

Airstream is the only source of the horizontal shocks or through their parts stocking dealers.

Vertical shocks will not work properly, when placed in a horizontal position.

Many years of research, says, yes the shocks do add to the soft ride by making it softer.

Adding balanced running gear or Centramatic balancers, completes the smooth ride task.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
Nellysford , Virginia
Wonderful notes on shocks. Thanks to all as I begin my restoration of our silver otter.

Greg and Linda Heuer
'99 Excella 30 w/HAHA - The Silver Otter
'08 Chevy LTZ 2500HD 6.6 DuraMax
TAC VA-18 | WBCCI 1927 - Unit 149 | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
It is overwhelmingly suggested that OEM equipment is usually the least expensive /lowest bidder possible for the maufacturer be it car, truck or dare I say AS?

If that is the case, what is a top of the line shock with will fit a 2010 23' AS?

Any reccomendations?

Top of the line, or bottom of the line.

There is only one horizontal shock available and that's from Airstream dealers who get them from Airstream.

We go through about 100 of them each month.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote