Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
Just a bit obsessed!!!

1974 27' Overlander
1975 31' Sovereign
1965 26' Overlander
Charlotte , North Carolina
Removed shock bracket on new axles.

Is there any problem is we did new higher rated axles and the shock mounting bracket was backwards and we had to cut them and decided to try it without them. What is the downside of that?
Ibenoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:12 AM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibenoverland View Post
Is there any problem is we did new higher rated axles and the shock mounting bracket was backwards and we had to cut them and decided to try it without them. What is the downside of that?
Much discussion about value of "shocks"'on torsion axles. Yes, AS puts them, but proper balanced gear should nearly eliminate need. I have them and will continue use. Many "trailers" run without the shocks... But they carry trash and things less important than your "traveling home"...

At least, run good balanced tires/wheels and think about Centramatics.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:12 AM   #3
Just a bit obsessed!!!

1974 27' Overlander
1975 31' Sovereign
1965 26' Overlander
Thanks ordered a set of centramatics I think they should help. Any suggestions on great anti-sway products
Old 06-20-2015, 09:50 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Ezy-Lift WD and "sway control"'served our 1999 for 14 years. Still, just a tad of wiggle when in windy, gusty, time and especially with "boxy" vehicles passing.

Purchased and installed the "ProPride" 3p hitch. Zero "sway". Nada, zip.. None.

There are many good threads here about pro/con. A lot depends upon the "comfort" factor... And safety.

Before ProPride, I put my wife behind the wheel ... She was very uncomfortable.... After installing and dialing-in the PP, she can relax!!! Huge difference!!! And a huge "cash hit" for the ProPride.

I have some experience towing....not like some here, of course... But mostly I am "overcompensating" you know..big truck, diesel, 4x4, HD, Allison Tranny....."grunt x 3" .. But "Momma likes"... So, I'll just keep her smilin'..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:43 AM   #5
Just a bit obsessed!!!

1974 27' Overlander
1975 31' Sovereign
1965 26' Overlander
I will look into this asap
Thanks
Old 09-04-2015, 10:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Much discussion about value of "shocks"'on torsion axles. Yes, AS puts them, but proper balanced gear should nearly eliminate need. I have them and will continue use. Many "trailers" run without the shocks... But they carry trash and things less important than your "traveling home"...

At least, run good balanced tires/wheels and think about Centramatics.
Balanced running gear, cannot possibly replace shock absorbers.

When a wheel hits a bump, it will move. How much movement depends on the shock method used, In no way, can balanced running gear stop vertical wheel movement when that wheel hits a bump.

Yes, balanced running gear is also a necessity, so that the trailer gets the smoothest ride possible.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
I respect the opinions of everyone in AirForums and acknowledge that some have long experience to back up their views such as Andy Rogozinski. We just got our Dexter TorFlex axle from Inland RV with the shocks he said were necessary but the axle includes no bracket for the shocks and no instruction or hardware for how to mount them.
Last year I attended the Vintage Trailer Academy in Albuquerque, an excellent forum to hear from some of the nation's most experienced restorers. Among them was Uwe Salwender of Area 63 Productions. Uwe just confirmed what I thought he said then regarding shocks on this particular axle, "Many argue this point, but having towed many miles with both scenarios, I say shocks are decorative, mostly. Dexter engineering agrees 100%."
We are each free to choose what we do with our own project.
Jim
JRF0st3r is offline   Reply With Quote