Old 01-31-2003, 01:48 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

New shocks when?

I am sure this is covered somewhere, but i can't find it. How can I tell when the shocks on our '71 Safari need to be replaced? There isn't any fluid leaking and they seem to be original. I have thought about having someone pull the trailer and following it in another vehicle to watch for shaking and quaking, but haven't done that yet. Any advice would be appreciated.
Dan

Old 01-31-2003, 03:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New shocks when?

Greetings Dan!

I would be suspect of shocks on any used vehicle that is more than four years old for which I did not have positive proof that the shocks had been recently replaced. It took some talking before I convinced my dealer that the shocks should be replaced on my '64 Overlander because they were not leaking - - as it turned out, they had probably lost all of their fluid one or more decades before I purchased the coach.

The one problem that I was experiencing was cabinet doors popping open during transit on rough roads with contents being scattered all over the coach. Once the shocks were replaced, that problem ended except on extremely rough roads a door will ocassionally pop open now.

The shocks were about number 3 on my replacement list behind tires and brakes when I purchased my '78 Argosy Minuet last Fall. The timing wasn't right on my last visit to the dealer, but they will be replaced when it makes its return trip before departing for the International Rally.

Good luck with your decision.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 07:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
One thing I noticed.....

when replacing my axles, is that I do not see how you would get the old shocks off and the new shocks on, without dropping the axle. I'll look at it a little closer tomorrow.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 08:11 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Pick, I don't know if this applies to your set-up, but I read here or elsewhere that the shock bushings are actually split. You are supposed to be able to remove the nut, pull half the bushing and have room to finagle the shock off the mount and out. Somebody else may be able to help as to whether this is true or not?
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 10:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I pulled the old shocks off my Overlander today and found the split bushings on them. I am awaiting the new set from Inland,
( yes, I gave up trying to find them at the auto parts houses) and if I remember correctly when I did my Minuet the new ones come with one-piece bushings. Not the easiest to install, somewhere I heard that you need to use a pry bar. I pulled the backing plates off my axles since I am upgrading the brakes and that will give me enough room to pry the axle shock tabs enough to get the new ones on. I will get a pic posted as soon as I get the new ones.

Chas
Old 01-31-2003, 10:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Another thing I have been thinking,

What are the chances of getting some recording device which could be put in the trailer to see the effect of say new shocks vs. old shocks, balanced wheel hub assemblies vs. unbalanced, bias ply tires vs. radials? I think we could put a lot of these issues to rest if there was some factual data on this stuff. Any Detroit test types out there? I've been wanting to ride in my Airstream to see what is happening, why that cabinet door keeps popping open or makes that roller blind fall out of track but I know OV64 is gonna tell me it is unlawful to ride in the trailer.

Chas
Old 01-31-2003, 10:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

IIRC the old split bushing shocks were made by Delco. The new Gabriel replacements are one piece.

On my '85 Sovereign the problem bolt is the one which feeds from the back into the shock lever plate on the axle. There is just enough room to back out the old bolt, remove the shock, and install a new shock (and bolt - what's another $.49?). On the later models they have gone to a stud with nuts. While the nut can be removed, there is simply no way to slide the shock off the stud. Airstream, with a perfectly straight face, tells you to simply drop the axle!

What many people do is to pry the shock axle plate out away from the frame the necessary inch or so. You can then hammer it back into place, or not. Mind you, I am not recommending this course of action, just passing along, ahem, what I have heard. From dealers.

Exactly how the stud is an improvement over the bolts is a mystery to me. It must be another one of those places where no expense was spared to spare all possible expense.

Mark
Old 02-01-2003, 02:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Just a thought

CHAS

Quote:
What are the chances of getting some recording device which could be put in the trailer to see the effect of say new shocks vs. old shocks, balanced wheel hub assemblies vs. unbalanced, bias ply tires vs. radials? I think we could put a lot of these issues to rest if there was some factual data on this stuff. Any Detroit test types
One very simple test you might consider:
Set your brown storage bin in the front of the couch and, secure/place a glass of water in it..Fill the glass almost to the top but, leave a 1/8 of an inch clearance. take a drive on a smooth road..
Results should be your proof.

I'd like to hear what you find out as a result.
ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 07:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
towner,

Your water in the glass approach sounds very low tech which at times can be the best route but I doubt it in this case. I was thinking more along the lines of a portable seismograph device, maybe a Grainger catalog has them? Kinda like what you would see the old John McCahill of Popular Mechanics fame testing an old Lincoln with. Anyone remember him?, the only reason I do is my old man had a archive of the old PM's, kept me quite busy in my childhood years, reading them again and again!!

Chas
Old 02-02-2003, 07:20 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Chas,
Yes, I remember John McCahill. He would always lay down in the trunk of the car he was reviewing to see how much room there was. He would have a close fit today in the new ones. Got to go fill a glass with water for the road test. Hope it doesn't freeze during the test.
Dan
Old 02-02-2003, 09:24 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Worked on mine Saturday....

There is no way to take the shocks off without bending the shock arm on the axle or dropping the axle. There are only 4 bolts holding the axle on. What you will have to do to drop the axles is set the Airstream on 4 jackstands at the jacking points, remove the tires. I use an automotive arm type hydraulic jack to support the axle in the middle, with a 2X4 between the jack and axle. Put a small amount of pressure on the axle, then remove the 4 axle nut and bolts. Lower the axle, then you can remove the shocks. You may want to replace the axle bolts with new GRADE 8 bolts. It is advisable to have an assistant or two when performing this operation. One person can handle the axle if the hubs and brake plates are removed from the axle. The bare axle is very heavy by itself, but add the brake plates and hubs and it weighs several hundred pounds, way to much for one person to handle.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 02:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Here's how I got my old shocks off. I was doing the brakes so I had pulled everything off which gave me room for a good bite on the axle tabs with the pipe wrench. I may have to bend it a bit more to get the new shocks with the one-piece grommets back on. I will hammer them back in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0054.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1413  
Old 02-05-2003, 04:08 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

New shocks

Chas,
Thanks for the super photo of the shock removal. Where did you purchase the new shocks? Also, in the photo, was there a nut on the other side of the frame that had to be loosened? If so, was it any problem?
Thanks
Dan
Old 02-05-2003, 04:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I did it the same way except with a pry bar instead of the pipe wrench. Didn't think to use a pipe wrench but that sounds better yet. A can of rubberized undercoating afterwards will keep the water off everything and actually made it all look new. In Edit, the hubs are just painted as I wouldn't recommend the rubberized coating on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new shocks.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1414