Old 02-05-2003, 06:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
The nuts weren't bad to get off, I had heard they can be tough to break loose, definitely a job for my Gearwrench. I ordered the new shocks from Inland and am still waiting for them, no problem though as I have moved on to toilet replacement and umbilical rewiring. The weather here is gonna be ugly here so I guess I could knock out the new carpet (or Pergo) this weekend

Got to get it ready for our Austin Forum Rally in March.

Chas

Old 02-12-2003, 12:38 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Shocks

I am also doing shocks, so far I have broke one frame bolt, this is an easy fix by making a plate with a stud and then bolting it on. I will soak the heck out of the lever nuts before puting a wrench on them, I will try the bending the arm method of removal. We are having a warm day so get out some carpet and get back to work. I am going to check on the numbers of the shocks that were posted at NAPA.

Old 02-12-2003, 12:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Gene,
I broke one frame bolt also. You can buy new shock mounts for the frame at the auto parts store under the "Help" brand. They fit perfect. I cut the old mount off, ground it flush, and then drilled a new hole for the new mount right next to it. Randy
Old 02-12-2003, 05:19 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Shock bolt

After I made the post I looked it over again and figured it out like you did, I have been looking at the pictures of axels and I might need to replace them. I looked at the messages that Andy has posted about the angle of the axel to the frame and right now the arm is straight with the frame with the tire off. i looked the brakes over and found out that whoever bgreased the bearings the last time used the wrong seals qand there is grease everywhere. I am glad this forum is around.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:54 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Chas
I looked at the picture and noticed the plate on the frame, is that the stiffener that was added to the frame to prevent the rear end sag on long AS? I have the same thing on our AS. I was ready to clamp on a big bar to bend the arm.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Gene,

Yes, I think that is the stiffener plate that was the factory fix for the rear end frame sagging issue. It looks to be well done so I guess it came from the factory that way. I don't see any evidence of rear separation on my unit, when I first looked at it I jumped on the rear bumper a few times to make sure. My axles aren't as fresh as they could be but in comparing some pics in the owners manual to mine as it sets today I don't see much difference. The axle arms still have the downward angle on them so I will ride with them for the next few years if possible.

I had a hard enough time to stomach one axle replacement on my Argosy, let alone two more!!

Chas
Old 09-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Greenville , Texas
easy spray with a liquid wrench let soak over night use a 3/4 speed wrench i just took mine of and put back don't even need to take the brake plate off just replaced my brake assembly on right hand side doing left in the morning
Old 09-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Riverside , Iowa
Use 1/2 transmission fluid and 1/2 acetone, mix in a spray bottle and shake before using
Old 09-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
If penetrating oils don't work, get a nut splitter at any hardware or auto parts store. A lot easier than re drilling or re welding, IMHO.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
'68'
What type or brand of rubberized undercoating did you use?