Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Shocks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Arlington , Virginia
More Shock questions

Rookie here, serious motorhead, new to rehab on the old silversides.
Unit is a 1975 27 foot Airstream...name plate says Land Yaght, unsure if this is the correct model name as I have not seen any references to this monicer yet. I have been told that I have to identify the frame in order to order new shocks (still on originals), the side manufacturer's marker has the initials F-250, and GE. Am I to assume that the frame is from a Ford F-250? And the GE would mean?

I am sure that I will be pesterring many of you with questions as this task proceeds. The unit is going to need skin work..anyone good in the cnetral east coast (Virginia area).
drcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
A few thoughts for you from a 4 month old newbie:

Land Yacht is a generic name - you own a 75 Overlander - that's your model. See this link http://www.vintageairstream.com/ and check out the photo archive.

The marker your talking about is next to the door? I'm too new to know if those numbers mean anything at all. Get your serial number and post is here - there are people who have information to share based on the serial number.

- On an Airstream - rarely anything you see will equate to any other manufacturer other than Airstream. You can call Airstream in Jackson Center Ohio for shocks. They will only sell parts thru an Airstream dealer but they can guide you to the nearest dealer and drop ship to you if they are not close.

Good sources for parts - and there are others - are listed on the site above. Inland RV is another.

Good luck with your Airstream....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
DRCRUNCH,
The frames are produced for Airstream, and have nothing to do with the automotive industry. The shocks can be purchased from Airstream, and I have read on these forums that they are produced by one other nmanufacturer, I do not know who. They must be able to work in a horizontal position, rather than a vertical. When you go to change them, instead of taking the axles loose, and dropping them, the brackets are made from mild steel, and you can bend them just enough to slip the old ones off, and the new ones on. Then strighten them up. That will save you hours of work.
Scour these forums for information using the search function. There is a wealth of info here.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
My Ford F250 GE edition has the name "land yacht" embedded in one of the fenders. Was that you?
You don't need the frame number to order shocks and they have nothing to do with Ford. Just call any Airstream dealer and they will have them for about 30 bucks each. NAPA also makes a cross reference number that is also a horizontal shock. Do a quick search and you will find it fast.
BTW, welcome.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote