Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2005, 04:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

d , South Dakota
Send a message via MSN to mshea
How to replace shocks on 73 Overlander

Hey,

I have a 73 Overlander and I just received my new shocks. I noticed that the mounting bracket on the wheel assembly i.e. the rear bracket is very close to the frame. Here's the instructions in the AS manual.

axle removal and replacement
1. Jack trailer at marked jack pads behind axle on main frame, raise trailer until wheels clear by at least 1"
2. remove wheel and tire assembly
3. disconnect brake wires
4. Remove upper attachments of shocks
5. support axle at center with floor jack
6 remove 2 attachments bolts at each end of axle
7. lower axle with floor jack
8 check shocks for leakage or other visual damage, - replace if necessary
9 to replace, reverse procedure.

shock replacement
1. remove upper attachment of shock
2 remove lower attachment of shock and slide off of stud. because of minimum clearance between the stud and axle mounting platte, the shock may have to be slightly twisted to remove.

Questions.

Do I have to drop the axle in order to change the shocks? I was able to remove the shock by twisting it off without bending the mounting bracket, but it doesn't look like it will go back on unless I really bend the bracket, which I have seen mentioned on another website.

If I do have to drop the axle, can I just remove the two bolts on one side and do one side at a time, or do I have to drop the whole axle?

How heavy is the axle?

Thanks in advance!

Mike
mshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 05:08 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshea
shock replacement
1. remove upper attachment of shock
2 remove lower attachment of shock and slide off of stud. because of minimum clearance between the stud and axle mounting platte, the shock may have to be slightly twisted to remove.

Questions.

Do I have to drop the axle in order to change the shocks? I was able to remove the shock by twisting it off without bending the mounting bracket, but it doesn't look like it will go back on unless I really bend the bracket, which I have seen mentioned on another website.

How heavy is the axle?

Thanks in advance!

Mike
Mike, you don't have to remove the axle to change shocks. You WILL have to bend the mounting bracket so the new shock with a 1 piece grommet will fit back on the stud.
The axle weighs about 250 pounds, with all accessories (brakes, drums, shocks, etc.) installed.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:26 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Mike:

Terry is correct, I just use a crowbar, just a little pressure and it will bend out enough to remove the shock, lossen the nut first and leave it on the shock stud just covering the threads when you bend the bracket...experience is a great teacher! A little tap from a 3# sledge will put it right back in place

Greg
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 08:47 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

MIKE. You will have no problem if you follow Greg and Terry's advice. Been there, done that. Dont forget to back up the jack with something solid under the trailer, just in case the jack slips.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:44 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
My buddies and I just changed the shocks on my '77 Sovereign this weekend....a job I've been putting off for years.
I had read the various horror stories about doing the job, so I went into it with trepidation.
We also managed to get the old shocks off without much trouble, but getting the new ones on looked to be a problem.
We ended up putting a floor jack in the center of the axle to support it, and removed the two bolts at one end of the axle. It dropped down just enough to get access to the upper shock mount. Incredibly easy, once you accept the fact that you can't do it without bending stuff, which I didn't want to do, unless you lower the axle.
We changed all four shocks and regreased the wheel bearings, and even had a couple of beers in about two hours.
I'm no longer intimidated by the axles.....they're really quite easy to deal with!
Guy
JohnGalt48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:02 PM   #6
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
The entire shock issue is overrated.
The shock has so little travel on the later models with horizontal mount, and has so little resistance, I doubt they do much more than decorate an otherwise empty bracket. This becomes even less of an issue with tired axles, where the travel of the shock is even more restricted.
Torsion axles are naturally self dampening by nature.
I have replaced several axles, and towed with and without shocks, over great distances and rough roads. I am yet to notice ANY difference, whatsoever.
The factory Airstream shocks have extremely low resistance to push and pull, even brand new.
I think they are a waste of time and money. I did put them on my 1963, but am convinced that their decorative value is much higher than their functional value.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Uwe.

Airstream engineering disagrees with you.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Uwe,

Airstream Engineering might disagree with you, but there are a few Airstream service people who don't.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Airstream engineers, designed and built the product.

Service departs are not involved with any other process except repair.

Andy
Old 11-16-2005, 05:12 PM   #10
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
I am certainly not an engineer, nor am I an expert at this. I am only sharing my real life experiences, which are little more than one man's opinion based on what I noticed. I did end up putting the new shocks on my trailers, both the 71 and the 1963, for the sake of having a complete and original undercarriage.
I just can't tell the difference with or without, that's all. I am, however, quite sensitive to what this 5000lb "thing" on my trailer hitch does while shlepping it through the countryside.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:32 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
necessary for perceived value?

I may be kicking a hornet's nest with this, but in the course of a conversation with a retired Airstream employee, the employee stated that the shocks were there more because the purchaser of such a high-end product expected to have things like these (shocks) on them, and they were not really needed, but since they were expected, they were designed and put on.
My personal opinion is, if it came with shocks, then it needs shocks. There are many travel trailers with torsion axles, that do not have shocks at all. However, I cannot say how much better or worse they ride, or how much, if any, damage is done to the trailer by not having them. I do think if there is a difference, it will be in the long-term, and most other brands of trailers don't last long enough to make a comparison...then again, maybe they do!
Old 11-16-2005, 05:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Shocks are nothing more than motion restrictors.

We all know that an Airstream loves a soft ride.

That being the case, the softer the ride, the less punishment the trailer will take.

But, as an example, we removed the shocks from our cars, we would all go through the ceiling.

So what happens the, if we leave the shocks off of an Airstream?

"IF" we happened to ride in it, might we experience some of that excess vertical movement?

I believe so, as I have done that.

Things flying out of clothes clostes also say that, as well as clothes hangers falling on the floor.

Fruit for thought?

And besides, if there was "any" doubt, why take the risk? Shocks are cheap compared to possible resulting body, frame and/or cabinet damage repair costs and/or someones time.

Andy
Old 11-16-2005, 06:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Are they worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I think they are a waste of time and money. I did put them on my 1963, but am convinced that their decorative value is much higher than their functional value.
I've got new torsion axles ready to put on our '64 Overlander. Should I bother installing new shocks? When I removed the old shocks one of the bolts broke off, so if I put on new shocks I'll have to have a new mounting bolt welded on. I'm wondering it this is worth it or if I should just go without the shocks. The Overlander has vertical shocks.

Thanks,

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Car shocks are vertically mounted, whereas my Airstream shocks are horizontally mounted, so I don't understand how the shocks could be of any value. As everyone knows, riding in a travel trailer while in motion is 100% illegal in all states.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-16-2005, 06:19 PM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82
Car shocks are vertically mounted, whereas my Airstream shocks are horizontally mounted, so I don't understand how the shocks could be of any value. As everyone knows, riding in a travel trailer while in motion is 100% illegal in all states.

Frederic
Supposedly, the shocks designed for Airstreams are intended for use in a horizontal orientation, although I haven't seen any internal differences. Maybe someone can supply us with a diagram highlighting the differrences in the vertical and horizontal shock. My Overlander has vertical shocks, too. The good news is I can theoretically use shocks that sell for $6.99/each, and the ones that are designed for horizontal use are much more.
In my case, they are so inexpensive I may as well put them on, even if they don't work.
As far as riding in a trailer, illegalities aside, it would be an "E" coupon ride.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:20 PM   #16
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82

Frederic
Stingray,
Not 100% true. Chech out this site. http://www.recvehicle.com/laws.html#passenger
Many states (mine included) do not have laws regarding this issue. I do believe anyone who would do this is nuts!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
. . . Maybe someone can supply us with a diagram highlighting the differrences in the vertical and horizontal shock. .
The difference is that horizontal shocks (also known as 'steering stabilizers') have a bag, foam, or other method for confining the gas. This is true wheather they are gas filled or regular shocks. If you hold a regular shock upside down and operate it you will quickly see how bad this is.

The purpose is to keep air or gas from going through the valving.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Stingray,
Not 100% true. Chech out this site. http://www.recvehicle.com/laws.html#passenger
Many states (mine included) do not have laws regarding this issue. I do believe anyone who would do this is nuts!
azflycaster,

Great site, thanks for the info. Does "not specified" mean that you can, or that you're just incredibly stupid for attempting such a stunt...either way, it's illegal in California, as well as my state.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-16-2005, 06:37 PM   #19
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander
I've got new torsion axles ready to put on our '64 Overlander. Should I bother installing new shocks? When I removed the old shocks one of the bolts broke off, so if I put on new shocks I'll have to have a new mounting bolt welded on. I'm wondering it this is worth it or if I should just go without the shocks. The Overlander has vertical shocks.

Thanks,
I think that all things considered, and the fact that i am a mere owner, not an engineer, you should not take my work for shock gospel...as I said, just my opinion.
You should probably get the bolt fixed and put on the shocks, they definitely can't hurt anything, even if they don't do all that much ( which is open for debate..)
That way you have a complete and official undercarriage.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Thanks for your input. I'll feel better knowing I have new shocks.

How do I know what shocks to buy for my '64 Overlander? They are vertical shocks.

Thanks

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote