Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Shocks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Walnut Creek , California
Help! Broke Shock Absorber Bolt - Need Welder in NorCal

Well, I tackled my first project on my recently purchased ’78 Tradewind. I enjoyed the whole process up until the point that I snapped off one the bolt heads. Despite soaking the bolt and nut with liquid wrench for 2 days and taping and chipping as much of the rust of the end of the bolt, it broke. At the moment, it was the end of the world! After reading a few posts here, I realize that I am not alone in my predicament.

This is where I need a little help. Can you confirm that the following would be the best course of action in replacing a lower shock bolt welded to the frame:

1) Purchase a replacement Shock Absorber bolt from Inland RV
2) Locate a welder to remove the existing bolt and weld in the replacement.

If this sounds about right, can anyone recommend a welder in the vicinity of Walnut Creek, CA (94597).

Thank you in advance and “Stream Safe.”
Lufetarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Sorry, can't help w/ the welder... but when you replace it, use a self locking nut and a liberal amount of anti-seize compound on the threads; that way this won't happen again.

One trick that also works is to heat the stuck nut w/ a propane torch. Since the rubber bushing is right there, have a bit of water on hand if it flames up too badly... but once the bolt is hot (300-400 F), apply penetrating oil (it will smoke) and attempt to loosen the nut.

It sounds like those shock mounts aren't particularly hard; I'll get a chance to play w/ mine soon as I'm replacing the axles, shocks and brakes...

Good luck!

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:40 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
danville , California
do you still need this done? I am local and could possbily do it.
gmwelder86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:31 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can simply go to your local NAPA or other auto parts store, and buy a replacement shock bolt. Drill a hole in the frame or flange, whichever is broken, and stick the bolt through, The replacement comes with threads on the attaching end so you don't need to weld it.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Many of us are convinced you don't need shocks. Torsion axles provide their own damping. Airstream may install shocks just because people expect them.

I took great pains to get the shocks perfect when I replaced the axle on my Caravel, but I didn't even put shocks on the Overlander when it got new axles. I've made two 3,500+ mile trips since then and it tows great. I don't see any significant difference--items left on the top of the table tend to stay there. Occasionally a very big bump might cause an extra porpoise cycle, but it takes an exceptional bump to do that. I think the rig would porpoise even with shocks.

Zep
Old 05-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Walnut Creek , California
Closing the loop...

Just a quick note to thank you all for weighing in on this dilemma. I did in fact find a welder who did a competent job despite having never worked on an Airstream. Took a trip up to the Fort Ross on the Mendocino Coast this past weekend and the Stream traveled like a champ.

Thanks again.
Lufetarg is offline   Reply With Quote