Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Just a short follow-up to a couple of questions asked earlier.

The trailer was picked up last week.

The "sticking" shock was shown to me - it's bottom half was greasy/dirty (unlike its sister shock) - it could be compressed smoothly with some effort (exactly the same as it's sister shock) but it could not be extended without great effort (unlike its sister shock) - when enough force was used to extend the shock the motion was not smooth (also unlike the sister shock). The shock mounts were not deformed.

I have been assured that the alignment is within normal specs.

The tire itself was fine - no evidence of tread separation. The spare (a 10 year old Marathon) was examined by an independent tire service, found to be fine, and has been mounted and balanced on that wheel. The worn Marathon is now my spare.

I have been assured that the alignment is within normal specs.

To be truthful I've been very comfortable with the service and the tech who worked on the trailer - he's a long time employee - a 30 year veteran in the business - and showed a lot of personal interest in the trailer and chasing down the problem.

The only other action I have taken was to invest in a $3 tread gauge to document what is happening after each trip - at least for next year.

Thanks for the replies from all of you - this has been really helpful.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #22
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Just my opinion, I would not be comfortable with a 10 year old tire no matter what it looked like. If I were using a 10 year old tire to do one trip to get it to a tire shop or using it to store the trailer I would be good. To use it for a trip I was taking ...... that's where I would draw the line and replace it. Again just my opinon.

>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 09-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Just my opinion, I would not be comfortable with a 10 year old tire no matter what it looked like. If I were using a 10 year old tire to do one trip to get it to a tire shop or using it to store the trailer I would be good. To use it for a trip I was taking ...... that's where I would draw the line and replace it. Again just my opinon.

>>>>>>>>>Action
Thanks again for the advice.

I'm aware - and have followed - the tire replacement 5-year rule-of-thumb in the past (much to the surprise of our local dealer - lots of tread left on the tires at the time). In talking to other dealers in the region since, I've been told that this rule is not as big a factor as it is in the south where high summertime heat is a bigger deal when travelling. Regardless - we are again at the 5-year interval - and even before this issue - tire replacement had been on our "to do" list before the next camping season - the only trips left for this season (likely just our Thanksgiving weekend) will be short.

Thanks again,

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
If I lived in Canada and didn't travel very far south, I might risk running 10 year old XPS Ribs. However, I wouldn't even consider putting that Marathon tire on the ground (although, I might use it as a spare). That $100-150 you save using the old Marathon won't cover the potential damage you may experience if it blows out and the tread separates.

Just another opinion -- tainted by bad experiences in the desert southwest.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #25
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Just another opinion -- tainted by bad experiences in the desert southwest.
Heat from any source kills tires.

Where we live we never have to concern ourselves with frozen pipes or mice making home in our trailer. The furnace doesn't have to work that good and the windows don't have to shut out the freezing cold.

However the asphalt will find the weak tire in July. Just when you are pulling out of the heat on that first day of travel fully loaded to the gills!

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Since the shocks are mounted horizontal to the ground on Airstreams, I'm not sure the coil-over shocks would do any good. Just a guess...

Also, the shock mounting points are not super-strong. They appear to only be for shock dampening and probably wouldn't hold up very well to any heavy stresses.
They sure don't take much stress. One of mine is bent from the PO running into a hard curb or rock.. Not sure how or if I will fix it though. It's still tough enough to make the repair a pain in the butt...
Old 12-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPdrums View Post
They sure don't take much stress. One of mine is bent from the PO running into a hard curb or rock.. Not sure how or if I will fix it though. It's still tough enough to make the repair a pain in the butt...
Shock studs are cheap and easily replaced.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Where do you find them? My axles came without the studs, just holes on the shock mount. I thought I could jury-rig somehting using a threaded rod and nuts, but there isn't enough clearance between the tire and the shock mount.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Where do you find them? My axles came without the studs, just holes on the shock mount. I thought I could jury-rig somehting using a threaded rod and nuts, but there isn't enough clearance between the tire and the shock mount.
DO NOT use threaded rod, as it is not strong enough.

Contact an Airstream parts dealer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote