Old 08-26-2006, 02:33 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Red face Saved from my ignorance

by an honest business man.

So, here's the final chapter in my shocks saga. My son was the one who took my Airstream to have the tires and shocks put on it while I was on vacation. When I got back he had gone on his vacation. When he got back today I asked him what kind of shocks they'd put on Airylle. He said, "oh, I forgot to tell you. Philip at Bernalillo Tire decided not to replace the shocks because he said he said they were some kind of weird shock and he didn't feel that it would be a good idea to replace them with anything except the kind that were on it and he couldn't order those from his distributer."

I called Jay at Oasis this morning to find out if my trailer was still there and he told me the driver was on the way to pick it up right then. I told him that the shocks had indeed not been replaced. He took my credit card number and said he'd put a set in the trailer so I could get the right ones put on here--at wonderful, ethical Bernalillo Tire. So, in the end, I'll be getting the right kind of shocks after all.

Airylle 1972 Safari featured for 5 nanoseconds in the movie Wild Hogs

Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:49 PM   #16
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
The special shocks that the other place could not get are Airstream only shocks. They are Airstream only because they are installed in a horizontal position as has stated above. And a shock in the horizontal position can not use gravity to move the oil inside as a vertical shock. So the valving is different as stated above.

My '66, while it does have a torsion axle the shocks are mounted vertically. So the choices are much greater than a horizontal mounted shock.

Horizontal = Airstream dealer only
Vertical = Airstream and other outlets that meet the same specs.

1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:42 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
Just put on my new shocks. They have the Gabriel brand stamped on them but cannot find them on the Gabriel site. They fit perfectly.

I must say that the old shocks still had a lot of resistance when extending but I could compress them with almost no force. It is the compression that happens when the tire hits a bump and the extension that relaxes the tire back to the road.

I'll report on how the new axles and shocks ride.

Alumin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Gabriel Pat Number?

Did the Gabriel Shocks from Airstream have a part number on the box or units? It might still be orderable from Gabriel even if it is not on their website...

(and yeah, I'm in market for shocks too...)

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by Condoluminum

Did the Gabriel Shocks from Airstream have a part number on the box or units? It might still be orderable from Gabriel even if it is not on their website...

(and yeah, I'm in market for shocks too...)

John McG
The Gabriel shocks are an OEM item from Airstream, only.

Accordingly, Gabriel is not allowed to sell them to anyone, except Airstream.

The horizontal shocks are available from an Airstream dealer that also sells parts over the counter.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I can't resist it!

Forgive me in advance...I just can't resist it... I find it all "shocking"!!

Seriously, though, this stuff is good to know. I hope it's a very long while before we have to deal with new shocks...does anyone know the shock situation for an 06 19' Bambi? I can't imagine that there are no shocks at all...

One more thing, Blu_Hwy_Ldy...we were just at Oasis RV just today picking up the Bambi today! Good folks...they have been very good to us. We had a mysterious leak coming in from the seam just in front of the TV antenna took 2 trips and lots of water-testing and such, but Richard at Oasis assures me that they found the culprit this time...a mounting screw for the solar panel had not been properly sealed at the factory...and that's where the water was finding its way in. Keep your fingers crossed that that is the end of that drip!

Happy Trails...TB

TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote