Old 07-22-2015, 11:53 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Cupertino , California
'72 Ambassador lower shock mount: weld back on or use a bolt?

On the '72 Ambassador I picked up, the front street-side lower shock mount looks to have sheered off. The previous owner's "fix" was to tie it off with some bungie cords, which obviously is not going to fly.

The shock still has the mounting pin in it. I have a MIG welder and could grind and weld the stud back on, or I could put a large shoulder bolt and washer setup on there. What's everyone's thoughts on the best solution?

flaagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
It can be welded back on with a stick welder, not with a mig, unless you want it to break off again.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Thats an original axle and shock if I read the pictures right. So that shock really isnt doing much right now anyway. You could go ahead and just unbolt the other end.

I would start to look for a set of axles and when you do replace them, you can either opt for the shocks or not. There is considerable debate as to whether they do you much good or not. If you put new ones on, then have the stud welded back on when you have the shock flanges welded on the axles (they dont come with them from the factory).

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You could just remove the shock and be happy. There is a lot of debate as to whether or not they do much if anything on a rubber spring axle that already have a significant amount of damping as a result of the damping properties of the rubber. If your axles are dead, then the presence of a shock won't make things any better. There is no reason it can't be welded and a MIG welder is fine if you know what you are doing. You need to weld it on both sides. There is not a ton of force on that pin.

Perry
Old 07-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaagan View Post
On the '72 Ambassador I picked up, the front street-side lower shock mount looks to have sheered off. The previous owner's "fix" was to tie it off with some bungie cords, which obviously is not going to fly.

The shock still has the mounting pin in it. I have a MIG welder and could grind and weld the stud back on, or I could put a large shoulder bolt and washer setup on there. What's everyone's thoughts on the best solution?
I believe that the Airstream engineers know far more about their product, than Dexter.

Dexter refuses to install shock brackets, BUT, they certainly install them on every axle that they sell to the Airstream factory. Makes a person wonder "WHY".

Yes, a "torsion" axle is like a shock absorber, sort of. But, adding a shock to that type axle, improves the axles performance.

It appears that the shocks you have are not correct. All Airstream shocks since 1968, are black in color. They also are "horizontal" shocks. Those shocks are made for Airstream, and cannot be purchased from anyone except when your at the Airstream plant, or from a parts stocking Airstream dealer. They are usually very reasonably priced.

Vertical shocks, placed horizontally, simply don't work.

The shock studs are available if and when needed.

Andy
Old 07-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Olean , Missouri
[QUOTE=perryg114;1656900]You could just remove the shock and be happy. There is a lot of debate as to whether or not they do much if anything on a rubber spring axle that already have a significant amount of damping as a result of the damping properties of the rubber.

Not Trying to Hijack this thread just trying to see other opinions.

Is there any one who has done this, and after a reasonable time had second thoughts and had them welded on at a later time. what did you notice, that made you reconsider. I agree with Andy(to an extent), but my supplier and the rep at redneck supply both felt that shocks were unnecessary on the torqflex axle. I haven't installed mine yet, But plan to in 2-3 weeks.

AlumaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:38 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Our 2005 Airstream came from the factory with no shocks and performs lawlessly just using the dampening effect of the rubber inside the axles :-)
Old 07-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Vail , Arizona
Weld it. Needs to be a beefy stick welder. Also, it would be good to check the travel of the axle torsion spring. They do not have infinite life due to the rubber inserts. Andy can tell you how much travel you should have; it should be several inches -- like the travel length of the shock. If travel short, consider a new axle.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganobenn View Post
Weld it. Needs to be a beefy stick welder. Also, it would be good to check the travel of the axle torsion spring. They do not have infinite life due to the rubber inserts. Andy can tell you how much travel you should have; it should be several inches -- like the travel length of the shock. If travel short, consider a new axle.
The Airstream "horizontal shock" has the following minimum and maximum dimensions.

Compressed is 9.4 inches.

Maximum extended is 14.4 inches.

Depending on the shock that was being used, that shock could have snapped that stud off if it was "super tough".

Same thing happens when air shocks are used and inflated to a high pressure, to raise the trailer, instead of replacing the axle or axles that have bad rubber rods.

Andy
Old 07-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Cupertino , California
New axles are currently planned, only holding off on putting an order out since I want to get some other work completed on the trailer first. Also, I'll likely have a new insulin pump on order soon (type 1 diabetic) and want to see how much of the bill my insurance is footing.

Andy - Good eye on the shock color. I have to say I'm not the least bit surprised that the previous owners cheaped out on the shocks considering other corners they cut that I'm currently fixing.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Bottom line is the shocks can wait till the axles are replaced.

Perry
Old 07-23-2015, 06:03 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Cupertino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Bottom line is the shocks can wait till the axles are replaced.

Perry
Yeah, that was kind of a given from the day I picked the thing up. Has only been more and more of a confirmed thing from what other "work" I've had to fix on it and from what I've seen on the forums.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:30 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydimitt View Post
Our 2005 Airstream came from the factory with no shocks and performs lawlessly just using the dampening effect of the rubber inside the axles :-)
Just noticed that the trailer is performing "LAWLESSLY" instead of flawlessly in that last post ???? Guess I'd better go out to the barn later on today and have a talk with the AS about the evils of knocking off banks and liquor stores ! gotta love auto correct , NOT !