Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2002, 10:47 AM   #1
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
63 TW shock

Hi all,

I hope I can get some quick help. I have a boat dealer working on my AS and they can't locate shocks. I have a 1963 single axle Tradewind and the shock is a vertical mount. I saw a post here about the horizontal mount shock and noted the replacement for it was a Gabriel. Can anyone give me specifics about what to buy for the vertical mount earlier models? I expect to take the AS somewhere else to get the shock replaced since the boat dealer has not been very cooperative throughout this. I'd like to have the shocks in-hand when I go to the next place since we leave for vacation this weekend and I'm running out of time.
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 10:57 AM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
63 wind,

If I was in your predicament, I would remove one or both of the old shocks and check the lenght etc., as well as the mounting ears. While removing them, you will find out if you need other hardware besides the shocks.
Take it to a auto parts store, like pep boys or whatever is a well sorted one in your area. Have them match up a set of shocks to the existing shock. Most standard shocks are very inexpensive, so even if it is not the correct airstream part, at least you have more safety than driving without shocks altogether, or with defective ones.
I have seen shocks for as little as $15.00 a piece at pep boys.
After your vacation, when yo have time, you can still look for the absolutely correct part if necessary.
However, my first call woould be to InlandRV, ask if they have them. fedex can get them to you by 10:00 tomorrow if they have them in stock. Shipping will be more than the pep boys shocks, but you won't have to worry about it for a long time.
Don't let an ugly looking shock fool you, the existing ones might still be usable.
Old 08-08-2002, 11:11 AM   #3
The Painted Pig

Hailey , Idaho
Matching shock

Thanks Uwe,

Yeah, I guess I'll remove the shock and try to find a match unless someone happens to know exactly what I need. The boat dealer said he would try to match to find one (this was two days ago), but I don't know how well he followed through. I appreciate the idea on getting a 'temporary' shock until I can get mine properly set. I doubt the current ones are of much use, judging from the looks of them. I guess I should have had this done last month, but I procrastinated.
Old 08-08-2002, 11:21 AM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Make sure the shock travels the right amount of inches, and that the mounting ears have the right size bushings in them.
Don't forget to call inlandRV for advise, or ideally for new shocks. Their information is on the vendor forum, I believe.
The shocks for the torsion axles only cost under $ 30.00 each, I believe, and they are original airstream parts.
Your boat guy might not realize the amount of engineering adn thought that went into the original design of the airstream. Most other trailers are very crudely put together, with x spring and y shock and z tire/wheel etc. I am relizing from working on the 71 we own, that it is a little marvel, and i would not trust it to a guy that has no experience with it.
Yes, Iknow about procrastination. I am the guy finishing the front end work while my wife packs the car.
I hope your vacation turns out wonderful!
Old 08-08-2002, 11:24 AM   #5
The Painted Pig

Hailey , Idaho
I will call Inland RV and order a set if they have them for me. Thanks again. Hope your vacation is nice too!
Old 08-26-2002, 09:24 AM   #6
The Painted Pig

Hailey , Idaho
63 Tradewind shock install

Inland RV had the shock in stock and I had this installed. Rides much better!